• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Canali Suit Construction Quality in 2020

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t think Canali has a diffusion line beyond the old Proposta that pops up on eBay every now and again. They make for different stores so the fabric choices you see in Canali suits found at Nordstrom or Bloomingdales will be different the ones at Neiman Marcus for example. I have several from Barneys (man I miss them) and they are fantastic.

Zegna does differ a little in fit for me between their various factories. It’s been years since I had any Zegna from Spain. The comment about the different lines was spot on. Why buy a City and a Torino as they are so different? Their best cut for me is the Milano and that’s all I ever buy from them.

Last edited:

rhb57

Reaction score
SuSu may have a good cut, but in terms of overall quality, it doesn't seem to last as long as mainline italian brands.

rhb57

Reaction score
Both Canali and Zegna have different lines with differing fabric and build qualities. Just saying Canali or Zegna
isn't enough information.
And if you are patient you can find good deals on both. Especially Canali.
For example last month at Nordstroms I picked up a very nice Canali Kei jacket (pictured) wool, silk, linen for $320. View attachment 1417027 View attachment 1417028

I see Canali suits on sale at Saks and Saks off fifth, some decent for $700 to $1300.
Patience is a virtue.
Why do you think they were on sale?

Drek Galloche

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I bought a silk/wool jacket from them and it fits fine, a little old fashioned cut (skinnier lapels than I like) but nothing is over padded. The travel suit I have from Canali fits skinnier than I would like and the same problem with lapels being too skinny. Fabric is great: 100 wool wrinkle free. So overall my exp. with Canali has been a mixed bag. Not the brand I would patronize but at a steep discount it is a good value for staples.

Johnny80

Reaction score
I like Canali's drop 8 milano fit, its there with Isaia and Zegna Drop 8
But from these 3, i like Isaia the most, then Zegna then Canali
So for me Drop 8 with 8-9cm lapels is the go for me (for Canali i would not pay more than 1500$)
I like Canali more than Brunello Cucinelli or Corneliani , also i tried Cifonelli, very nice, but the fit for me is not up there...they do in general Drop 6-7 at most
Ive ordered an Belvest suit fully lined, it should arrive next week

rhb57

Reaction score
I like Canali's drop 8 milano fit, its there with Isaia and Zegna Drop 8
But from these 3, i like Isaia the most, then Zegna then Canali
So for me Drop 8 with 8-9cm lapels is the go for me (for Canali i would not pay more than 1500$)
I like Canali more than Brunello Cucinelli or Corneliani , also i tried Cifonelli, very nice, but the fit for me is not up there...they do in general Drop 6-7 at most
Ive ordered an Belvest suit fully lined, it should arrive next week

Isaia is indeed a higher tier than both Canali and EZ, but why do you think Canali isn't worth more than $1500 while EZ charges at least $3k? It seems Canali offers slightly better construction than EZ since they only makes full canvas suits and have the right amount of handwork while EZ sometimes makes semi canvass suits.

Last edited:

JrayB

Reaction score
A few years ago I bought a canali suit on ebay for a large discount i'm not sure what level of canali it is. I would say the quality is about the same as a brooks brothers 1818 suit. You'll look better than 99.99% of men but it won't get you into A list status. I can't speak for zenga I know they're well known and all but I just can't justify the price of their stuff.

Attachments

• 20210619_211614.jpg
    20210619_211614.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 2,442

rhb57

Reaction score
A few years ago I bought a canali suit on ebay for a large discount i'm not sure what level of canali it is. I would say the quality is about the same as a brooks brothers 1818 suit. You'll look better than 99.99% of men but it won't get you into A list status. I can't speak for zenga I know they're well known and all but I just can't justify the price of their stuff.
I thought Canali's mainline is on par with golden fleece. Yeah I agree with you on EZ, I think it's a bit overpriced.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
at the end of the day, what really matters is how the suit fits on you. There is no “A list” suit for all people. Hard to make blanket statements about Canali fit because of their wide range of models. As far as I can tell, construction quality is very similar between Canali and Zegna mainline—pretty sure both are machine sewn, fully canvassed.

Marcus1970

Reaction score
Nice suits and most important do you like the feel of the fabrics, the drape of the suit. Sometimes the where its made
aspect is overrated. There are lots of Italian suits advertised as made in Italy, but cut and sewn by Chinese tailors in Italy
so its not really a deception, just misleading.
Spier & Mackay have some nice suits as well with varying levels of Italian fabrics, made in China. I own one and you get a lot of bang for the buck. Give them a look if you haven't already.

I would also advise not to buy a Canali simply because its a Canali. There are so many nice Italian suits out there...
Corneliani, Caruso, Boglioli, and many more that also can be bought on sale at a deep discount and are on par with Canali or better, depending on the suit and suit line.

Good luck in your search.
This is a fake information, luxury italian brands don't use chinese workers, they use italian tailors, they were some case where some brands had contract with external workshops who use chinese workers. But it is rare in the luxury industry. Italian tailors are not even paid that much for what they produce.

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a fake information, luxury italian brands don't use chinese workers, they use italian tailors, they were some case where some brands had contract with external workshops who use chinese workers. But it is rare in the luxury industry. Italian tailors are not even paid that much for what they produce.
Nope, no fake information. Why on earth would I post fake information? You do realize there are many Chinese living in Italy? I never said they were made in China, I simply pointed out the fact that not every suit made in Italy is made by an Italian tailor. Some are made by Chinese tailors as well as tailors from other areas of the world.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Chinese owned and operated factories in Northern Italy are common and one of the reasons why the north of Italy got clobbered with Covid last year so early.

Think of the ubiquity of Canali suits. They are pretty common in the US as well and I’m sure across the rest of the globe.

Italy’s domestic population is shrinking or at best in stasis and those with garment making know how are likely the bespoke tailors.

This is all speculation on my part but I’m quite confident they are made in far less idyllic conditions than what some print ad may suggest.

Marcus1970

Reaction score
I live in Italy so I know what I am saying, those Chinese owned some workshop in Prato but they are making more affordable clothes. When you pay brands like Brinior Zegna who sell suits that cost 4000 euros they are not made by Chinese factories.

Marcus1970

Reaction score
I live in Italy so I know what I am saying, those Chinese owned some workshop in Prato but they are making more affordable clothes. When you pay brands like Brinior Zegna who sell suits that cost 4000 euros they are not made by Chinese factories.
It happend in the past that one luxury brand gave the craftsmanship to a workshop who subcontract to chinese but it is not a generality.
Most of the time these luxury brands have their own workshop.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads