• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Canali shoulder widths - are they inconsistent across garments?

AFCForever

Reaction score
I tried on a Canali suit at Harry Rosen this summer and the 44L was a good fit. I have since gone to ebay and searching on Canali I have found up to 3" variance in the shoulder measurement (anywhere from 18" to 21").

My shoulders are 19.75" so that much variance is an issue but this strikes me as a case of people measuring poorly.

Should I just ignore the shoulder measurements?

Wayward

Reaction score
Companies tend to have different models, which vary across various lines even within the same year. Most commonly, the "drop" of a suit gives you an idea of how fitted it is, though it's not a guarantee. The drop means how much of a difference between chest measurements and waist, and assumes that the higher the drop, the more athletic the wearer is and therefore usually a slimmer cut.

Canalis, if I recall, have typically 3 models: the 11000, 13000 and 15000 line. They are respectively a drop 6, 7 and 8 models (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Therefore, if you don't remember what the model or drop is you tried on at Harry Rosen, then it's hard to compare it to eBay measurements.

In other words, do NOT ignore the shoulder measurements. It's also possible that even the same models are slightly different between different years, so caveat emptor.

Last edited:

AFCForever

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip - I am familiar with the concept of drop but I was always under the impression that it was normally to do with the size of the trousers - I didn't realize the would adjust the jacket with the drop too.

In this case there were also some odd jackets I was looking at where the drop isn't relevant. I'll pay attention to the shoulders then and try and figure out which Canali suit I tried on.

Thanks for responding.

Wayward

Reaction score
No worries. Also, as strange as it sounds, odd jackets may have a drop listed as well, in order to indicate what cut it is (i.e. to which suit line it corresponds to). So, there's that too.

Obviously, if you could go back to the original jacket you had tried on, measure the hell out of it and make a note of its fabric tag, it'd make online shopping that much easier as well.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the tip - I am familiar with the concept of drop but I was always under the impression that it was normally to do with the size of the trousers - I didn't realize the would adjust the jacket with the drop too.

In this case there were also some odd jackets I was looking at where the drop isn't relevant. I'll pay attention to the shoulders then and try and figure out which Canali suit I tried on.

Thanks for responding.

Drop does not affect the shoulders to the extent it does the waist of the pants.

its simple..........since you're using ebay as your point of reference, understand that sellers will measure shoulders differently. Based on this fact, you will get the variance you describe. However, I would go by what you have personally observed while at Harry Rosen - seeing is believing!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads