1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Canali Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Roy, Dec 10, 2004.

1. Roy

Roy Distinguished Member

I was wondering if anyone knows which subcontractor Canali uses for their shoe line?

2. hermes

hermes Distinguished Member

i thought i read that they're made by whomever does zegna shoes (or does zegna have their own factory to make their own shoes?) but i can't recall

3. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Stylish Dinosaur

I'm not sure about this, i was in a boutique and asked the owner this question and he rudely told me that he was sure he didn't know... that pretty much ended my patronage there.

4. Roy

Roy Distinguished Member

Zegna shoes are made by Ferragamo I believe. Wouldn't be to bad [​IMG]

5. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Distinguished Member

(hermes @ 10 Dec. 2004, 6:24) i thought i read that they're made by whomever does zegna shoes (or does zegna have their own factory to make their own shoes?) but i can't recall
    Zegna shoes are made by Ferragamo I believe. Wouldn't be to bad [​IMG]
    Yes they are (although I prefered the shoes when Mantellassi made them) koji

6. jcusey

jcusey Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

It's a joint venture between Zegna and Ferragamo. Exactly who does what, I can't say. I'm not sure that Ferragamo even owns the factories that produce shoes bearing their label. The Zegna-Ferragamo shoes that I've seen, particularly the Napoli Couture models, have been well done. As Koji writes, however, not quite the same as when the Napoli Couture shoes were made by Sutor Mantellassi.

7. jcusey

jcusey Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

I'm afraid that I don't. I've seen Canali shoes exactly once in my life (at Bloomingdales in NYC, I believe), and while they looked like nice mid-range shoes, nothing about the construction stuck out as being particular to any Italian manufacturer that I'm familiar with. It's certainly possible that they're made by Ferragamo, as hermes suggests, but they really didn't have that distinctive Ferragamo look.

8. zjpj83

zjpj83 Distinguished Member

The Zegna styling is too weird and avant garde (IMO)

9. Roy

Roy Distinguished Member

(Roy @ 10 Dec. 2004, 08:51) I was wondering if anyone knows which subcontractor Canali uses for their shoe line?
    I'm afraid that I don't. I've seen Canali shoes exactly once in my life (at Bloomingdales in NYC, I believe), and while they looked like nice mid-range shoes, nothing about the construction stuck out as being particular to any Italian manufacturer that I'm familiar with. It's certainly possible that they're made by Ferragamo, as hermes suggests, but they really didn't have that distinctive Ferragamo look.
    I got a good deal on the new 2005 shoe line, I bought a pair for about 100 dollars. So i'm not complaining, just curious.

10. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Distinguished Member

I love salesepeople who are knowledgeable/proudly stand by their products. [​IMG] On the opposite end of the spectrum, I visited a wonderful cobbler in Florence who was proudly showing me (without in the least way being boastful) the stitching he was doing on pair of bespoke boots for a japanese client (and he had no assistants, everything was done by him personally). koji

11. RIDER

RIDER Distinguished Member

None, really. Workshops that specialize in different phases of production hold the shoes at one point or another. There are not as many manufacturers that produce shoes from beginning to end as you might think. And the big 'brands' rarely use these firms, except in the case of special shoes. Mostly it works like this:

Brand contracts with design firm.
    Brand commissions last, which become their property.
    Brand sends lasts to independent workshop in Romania/Slovenia/Hungary (depending on who they want to use), along with leather requirements, for upper/welting/filling work. Sometimes, uppers are assembled in Vigevano and then shipped to Eastern Europe.
    Workshop sends completed uppers, still on lasts, back to Vigevano for bottom work/finishing.
    Shoes are delivered to Brand.
    Brand takes beautiful photo, and marks product up accordingly (or excessively, depending on whether you work for said Brand, or are a consumer)

BTW, there is no Ferragamo factory - there is, however, a Ferragamo museum.

12. blackrover

blackrover Senior Member

Currently they are being made by Santoni. I have a pair also and I'm not sure who the were built by. I would like to repost the pic of them but there too large now.

Can you post pics of yours?

13. RIDER

RIDER Distinguished Member

Canali shoes are made by Campanile.

14. blackrover

blackrover Senior Member

This is the shoe I'm buying from Canali that looks just like one on Santoni's website. Check under the fall winter 2005 2006 under the Europe section. I found it at Nordstrom for $450 and I was hooked. The only reason I did not buy them on site is I just bought a Black Ranger Rover.
    [​IMG]

15. houserichichi

houserichichi Senior Member

I have a pair of medium tan monk straps on hold but cannot find a picture to post for the life of me. Anyone have any idea where Canali shoe pictures can be found? I find them beautiful to look at, quality aside.