• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Canali Dillema

turnbull12

Reaction score
So, I was browsing my local thrift store today and I came across a Canalli Sports Coat. It was a black\\grey plaid patter, which was not totally to my liking. However, it was only 60 dollars with no noticeable signs of wear. Should I pounce on it? Can I make this coat work? Thoughts?

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by turnbull12
So, I was browsing my local thrift store today and I came across a Canalli Sports Coat. It was a black\\grey plaid patter, which was not totally to my liking. However, it was only 60 dollars with no noticeable signs of wear. Should I pounce on it? Can I make this coat work? Thoughts?
I'd say no. If you're not crazy about the pattern at first glance, it's likely you'll like it even less over time. Can you make it work? Sure, I suppose (although it's obviously hard to say without seeing it). But why try to make a coat that doesn't excite you - just because it has "Canali" on the label and you think it's a good price? Buying a piece of clothing you don't really like isn't really a bargain at any price, imho.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sure you can make it work, if you want to. But it sounds like you don't.

First thought, best thought.

Leave it on the rack.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe you can make a profit off of it by selling on ebay

Master Shake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've come to learn that it's better to spend more on items that you really like than to buy those that you're only lukewarm about even though they are on sale at a greatly reduced price.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
sixty dollars is still sixty dollars.
i passed up on a santoni fam i saw on sale for 159 but it looks very ugly and out of date. i was thinking about buying it because of such a good price, but i had to step back and rethink, dont get confused over "good deals" or what have you, it still is 159 dollars no matter how i look at it.

turnbull12

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice everyone, I'm going with my first inclination.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I would pass at that price, too, if you don't love it. You can take $60 and do very well on ebay. If it was $6 (what a thrift sport coat would be around here), then you'd be crazy not to get it in if it was in good shape.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by turnbull12

$60 is very high at a Thrift Store. Might it not be more of a consignment store? At that price, I would only get it if I loved it. And you don't seem to.

BTW: I never used to believe my good friend pejsek till I got to know him. There's a thread called, "The unofficial Thrift Store bragging thread", or something like that. You ought to check it out. Kiton, Brioni, and Oxxford suits for less than $25! Coats like your described Canali for $4.00!!

Of course these deals may be rare, but I'm now convinced they do happen!

I hope pejsek sees this thread, and gives his opinion of a $60 Thrift Store coat!

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
$60 is very high at a Thrift Store. Might it not be more of a consignment store? At that price, I would only get it if I loved it. And you don't seem to.

BTW: I never used to believe my good friend pejsek till I got to know him. There's a thread called, "The unofficial Thrift Store bragging thread", or something like that. You ought to check it out. Kiton, Brioni, and Oxxford suits for less than $25! Coats like your described Canali for $4.00!!

Of course these deals may be rare, but I'm now convinced they do happen!

I hope pejsek sees this thread, and gives his opinion of a $60 Thrift Store coat!

A few thrift stores near me charge extreme amounts for their items. I'm talking $15 dress shirts, $40 shoes, $50-$80 suits. And that's not even for high-end brands, it's typically brands like Hilfiger, Nautica, RL, Florshiem, etc. that are priced that high.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VersaceMan
A few thrift stores near me charge extreme amounts for their items. I'm talking $15 dress shirts, $40 shoes, $50-$80 suits. And that's not even for high-end brands, it's typically brands like Hilfiger, Nautica, RL, Florshiem, etc. that are priced that high.
Those are usually considered "high end" to the ignorant.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VersaceMan

I wish my friend pejsek sees this and expounds! He really knows the Thrift Store situation.

In my experience the Thrifts price things according to their knowledge and what sells well for them. Polo is always popular and is priced relatively high. So is Hilfiger, Nautica, any RL, and stuff like Structure and Claiborne which are very recognizable to the Thrift Store public. So, invariably, a RL dress shirt, even if it's crap like Chaps will be priced higher than the rare Borrelli or Kiton shirt.

In addition, here in Houston, most Thrifts have their high end section (generally behind the counter). Anything that is NWT (that's new with the tag) will be priced high. Absurdly so, on a realistic scale. For instance a Stafford suit (I believe that's the J.C. Penney house brand) with a $249 new price tag attached will be marked about $75.00. Armani is rarely underpriced at thrifts, but who cares!

A Canali suit, in perfectly good condition, out on the racks will be around $25.00 usually (in most Houston Thrifts). A lot depends on the knowledge of the people doing the pricing! Some pricing people know of Brioni, Kiton, Oxxford, Canali, etc., and some don't! The aforementioned brands are no better than Hart Schaffner & Marx and not as good as RL Polo to them! Experienced pricing people know a lot more than others.

I recently bought a fabulous Cashmere Domenico Spano Blazer at a Thrift for $12.00 with tax! It is "Mimmo's" high end MTM garment and is amazing. It has the Spano-Bergdorf label and an inner label with the clients name who is a Forbes 400 type! Not a bad deal! But it took an hour going through the Claiborne and Structure crap to find it. And I was very lucky at that.

The last time I went to a Thrift I thought I'd look at leather coats. No great deals there. Wilson Leather, and a 100 Made in China "Avirex-like" coats for $20.00-$50.00. The better leather coats were behind the counter at about $75.00. No real winners there either.

Then I saw a 1930's Ponyskin, Mouton collar Aldencrest coat in very nice condition for $30.00. I grabbed it. I don't even know if I'll wear it but I know that Horsehide and Ponyskin coats in good condition (and this one is), go for $100-250 on Ebay. So I can always sell it.

Back to the point, VersaceMan is right (certainly here in Houston)! Giveaway prices at the Thrifts are becoming very rare. I.E. $3.00 Shirts, $10.00 suits, etc. But if you're willing to put the time in and enjoy it, there are fabulous deals to be had!

BTW: To Turnbull12 the thread I was referring to before is: The official thrift/discount store bragging thread. You should check it out:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...fficial+thrift

After reading through this thread, you won't think $60 for a Thrift Store Canali is such a good deal.

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master Shake
I've come to learn that it's better to spend more on items that you really like than to buy those that you're only lukewarm about even though they are on sale at a greatly reduced price.

Boxed for truth. It took me too long to learn this lesson.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nerdykarim
Originally Posted by Master Shake

Boxed for truth. It took me too long to learn this lesson.

and homes everywhere are chock full of junk because of the perceived value of the discount price.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In that sort of situation, it's best to leave the item for someone who might like it more.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads