• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Canali and Corneliani, how long do you like them?

spence

Reaction score
As I've come to find Corneliani and now Canali at discount, and like the shoulder/chest fit a lot, I'm curious to hear if others find the extremely long length to push you to a shorter size than you might usually wear.

I'm just shy of 6'2" and am a bit long waisted with a 35-36" shirt sleeve and a 32" inseam in the pants. I've bought a few Corneliani coats in a 56L (one Vogue USA when fat and a Spencer now that I'm thin) and the sleeves needed a good 2+ inches lopped off which isn't exactly an easy alteration.

So I'm curious if anyone in a similar situation is happy with a regular length coat in the same cut vs a long? Basically, I scored a few nice Canali coats and a Corneliani suit in a regular length that I think look pretty good, but am curious if others have faced similar issues.

-spence

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't own any corneliani so I can't comment there. But I do own a few Canalis and can tell you that their coat length varies. I've wear a regular and it ranges from 32-34inches.

spence

Reaction score
34 inches for a regular? Wow...that must be a big coat.

Of the two Canali I bought one was mainline 58R and about 31-3/4" long, the other a Canali Exclusive 56R was 32-1/4". Both were 20" in the shoulder and 48 in the chest.

-spence

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Spence

The 34 coat was a MTO from blommies. I was surprised also but the coat said it was a Regular and not long. I might get it shortened.

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have more Corneliani than any other brand, and almost always find it that a "regular" measures to a typical "long".

I tend to get them on so much of a discount, that I'll spend the $75 to shorten the length and sleeves. Never had a problem with doing so on them.

Recently, I bought a 42 short just to deal with the length issue. It seemed to work out rather well.

spence

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bmulford
I tend to get them on so much of a discount, that I'll spend the $75 to shorten the length and sleeves. Never had a problem with doing so on them.
The issue I have with the long sleeves is that to maintain the placket my tailor has to taper the sleeve a bit to get enough fabric. It's not huge, but it is noticeable and I'd rather avoid it if possible.

-spence

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Corneliani sometimes fits pretty well. They usually have too defined a shoulder for my tastes.

I am 6'2" as well and find that their regular = long, which looks OK on me. I wear a 38R -- the sleeve length is perfect for me, and I wear around a 35" shirt sleeve. I am imagine you are having sleeve difficulties because you are wearing such a large size.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads