• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Canadians - Where to buy clothes?

Cyber0066

Reaction score
Where do you guys buy your designer clothes other than the big stores like Holt Renfrew or Harry Rosen which never has sales. I don't know of any other places where I can buy clothes without having to pay retail. If it's online...I'm assuming the shipping and customs charge would kill the deal. Suggestions (I'm in toronto btw)? And please don't recommend ebay.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the States. Seriously, what I've realized I have to do is make a trip to Seattle occasionally to try as much on as I can and then order stuff based on that. Good luck with Detriot and Buffalo!
tounge.gif

Cyber0066

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jared
In the States. Seriously, what I've realized I have to do is make a trip to Seattle occasionally to try as much on as I can and then order stuff based on that. Good luck with Detriot and Buffalo!
tounge.gif

mm, i was hoping that wouldn't be the answer.
confused.gif
I don't have the opportunity to go to buffalo/detroit that much. Plus we can only claim $50 tax-free stuff at the customs for a 1 day trip.

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
Given what I understand are the duties, you would probably save enough money by flying down for a shopping trip. Or find sellers who will mark as a gift, not that I know anything about that.

lookaround.gif

Gotta love the chorse123...
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Also try shopthefinest and virtualclotheshorse.

ceaton

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cyber0066
Does anyone buy from online stores in Canada?

Like, canadian online stores? No, not really. Duty sucks, but it's a price I'm willing pay for well made and fitting clothing.

clownmitts

Reaction score
I've taken to buying shirts from charles tyrwhitt and tm lewin on sale and just sucking up the duty. The shirts are much nice than anything you can buy in the stores here in my opinion.

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cyber0066
Where do you guys buy your designer clothes other than the big stores like Holt Renfrew or Harry Rosen which never has sales.
Um...Holts never has sales? Everything I buy from there is at least half off. You just have to buy off or end of season items. I would go to the flagship on Bloor and befriend one of the better salespeople (i.e. the friendly ones). Ask them to notify you whenever they're having a sale.

Uncle Otis is an amazing streetwear store in Yorkville, Klaxon Howl is another one. I would try doing some searches, there have been some excellent discussions about TO stores recently.

A

gj555

Reaction score
Nowhere. I don't buy designer clothes
laugh.gif

Some people are fond of "Made in Italy" on Dufferin north of Finch. Though, I have never found anything there. The Holts outlet, while not very good for classic men's suits, seems to have a lot of fashion designer stuff (from last season?).

trogdor

Reaction score
Are the Holt's Last Call and Harry Rosen outlet stores still there? They're always a good bet, if you're prepared to wade through some rubbish. You'll have a hard time finding shoes, though.

Winners is sometimes good for some mid-range things; I've seen Borelli shirts in the one at College Park before, and they always used to have reasonable selection of serviceable ties (nothing terribly high end, but reasonable nonetheless). I was never impressed with the Winners on Bloor street, but I've seena couple of pairs of Allen Edmonds in there (although there was a reason that those shoes never sold at full retail, if you catch my drift).

If you're into it, and you're prepared to put the search time in, Kensington market sometimes has some decent things -- I've picked up a Brooks Brothers suit, a Burberry Trench, Ralph Lauren Polos and some Dior ties there for very low prices.

I must admit, that Toronto's not _brilliant_ for picking up good deals on clothing, but compared to Cork, it seems like a shopper's paradise.

Demeter

Reaction score
I'm not very familiar with Toronto, but it should be the same everywhere for small boutiques. They have big sales every single season where you can get at least half off of whatever's being sold. And I'm not talking ugly ducklings, either.

You won't find anything like a C21 or Filene's there, but there's plenty of deals to be had in the smaller stores.

fatherseanfan

Reaction score
here's what i do:

1. Ebay
2. Buy at Holt Renfrew in January and July, when everything from the previous season is 70% off. (Rarely are the sale prices good at Rosen.)
3. Stock up when going to the USA (hopefully in January or July, to get sale prices there, too.)
4. If I really want something from the US or UK, I buy it online and have it sent to a friend living in the US or the UK, and then they ship it privately, or I have them go to the store and get it and then ship it. You save a ton that way, especially for UK stuff as the shipping can sometimes be more than the cost of a shirt.
5. Winners for the occasional item.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads