Canadian Vs American Tastes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by L.R., Jul 30, 2010.

1. L.R.

L.R. Senior member

This may be old hat, but;

I was just came across an article describing how J. Crew, among other brands, are looking into expanding their Canadian presence. The rational is that the Asian markets are too difficult (tastes, body sizes, laws), and Canada represents an ideal opportunity. However, a difficulty that is foreseen is in Canadian shopping habits:

"Canadians tend to be slower, steadier shoppers than Americans, with a preference for higher-quality goods and more interest in outdoor looks"

Any thoughts on this?

Link: http://www.torontolife.com/daily/sty...dian-location/

2. unjung

unjung Senior member

Horse shit. Canadians are just slower to pick up on trends.

3. Kamapuaa

Kamapuaa Well-Known Member

The population of Asia is something like 100 times larger than the population of Canada, so it seems like poor business strategy.

4. sonick

sonick Senior member

I would fucking love a J Crew here.

5. JesseJB

JesseJB Senior member

Tastes? Canadians like cheese curds and gravy on french fries, don't they?

6. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Horse shit. Canadians are just slower to pick up on trends.

With respect,
    Corrected: Canadian retailers are just slower to pick up on trends. The customers are ready.

7. geoffmartin17

geoffmartin17 Senior member

This may be old hat, but;

I was just came across an article describing how J. Crew, among other brands, are looking into expanding their Canadian presence. The rational is that the Asian markets are too difficult (tastes, body sizes, laws), and Canada represents an ideal opportunity. However, a difficulty that is foreseen is in Canadian shopping habits:

"Canadians tend to be slower, steadier shoppers than Americans, with a preference for higher-quality goods and more interest in outdoor looks"

Any thoughts on this?

Link: http://www.torontolife.com/daily/sty...dian-location/

Vancouvers style can best be described as "camping chic." REI, Mountain equipment coop and birkenstocks.

And then step out of your bentley.

Its horrific -

8. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

Canadians, indeed, strike me as a bit slower.

One solution might be more photos, fewer words in the J. Crew catalogs on display in Canadian J. Crew stores. Perhaps dropping the "J" and the "." to make the name easier to read would also help.

- B

9. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Senior member

This may be old hat, but; I was just came across an article describing how J. Crew, among other brands, are looking into expanding their Canadian presence. The rational is that the Asian markets are too difficult (tastes, body sizes, laws), and Canada represents an ideal opportunity. However, a difficulty that is foreseen is in Canadian shopping habits: "Canadians tend to be slower, steadier shoppers than Americans, with a preference for higher-quality goods and more interest in outdoor looks" Any thoughts on this? Link: http://www.torontolife.com/daily/sty...dian-location/
    I would love a couple of J Crew locations here in Toronto for basics. As for the statement Canadians tend to be slower, steadier shoppers than Americans, with a preference for higher-quality goods and more interest in outdoor looks is highly dependent where you live. In Vancouver it's Mountain Equipment Co-Op or death. The hinterlands is just like the rest of North America sartorial wasteland with Toronto and Montreal being the style oasis. Bear in mind finding decent shoes in this country is near impossible especially in a B width in my case. Thing is most Canadians have similar tastes to Americans and buy the same cut rate crap but in our case with a more eurotrash twist. Look in any tier one Canadian mall, you have the same Gap/Old Navy/Banada Republic, Aldo, Eddie Bauer,America, Mexx, Zara, H&M, Jacob, American Eagle Outfitters, Le Chateau Tip Top, etc. I don't know where the writer is getting outdoor looks from, BC's lower mainland perhaps? I don't see the outdoorsy look here in Toronto or in my occasional travels back to Montreal. Maybe down East? Someone else can chime in for Atlantic Canada.

10. rob

rob Senior member

Speaking as a Canadian who arrived in this country 30 plus years ago with only a bag of hockey equipment, one hockey and one football jersey (or as we say up north, sweater) and a pair of painters pants, I can assure everyone here that Canadians are totally obsessed with Americans. Everyday of our lives we dream of Alex Trebeque (sp) type acceptance by Americans. Clothing is a big part of it. Why else would William Shatner have ever agreed to wear all that Star Trek garb?

Believe me when I tell you this, I've never met a Canadian that didn't define his existence in relation to the bastard nation to the south.

Uptight Ontarians or whatever you call yourselves, have at it.

Cheers.

11. rob

rob Senior member

And it is true, we are quite boring as you can tell from Bill Smith. Both in name and post.

12. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Senior member

Speaking as a Canadian who arrived in this country 30 plus years ago with only a bag of hockey equipment, one hockey and one football jersey (or as we say up north, sweater) and a pair of painters pants, I can assure everyone here that Canadians are totally obsessed with Americans. Everyday of our lives we dream of Alex Trebeque (sp) type acceptance by Americans. Clothing is a big part of it. Why else would William Shatner have ever agreed to wear all that Star Trek garb?

Believe me when I tell you this, I've never met a Canadian that didn't define his existence in relation to the bastard nation to the south.

Uptight Ontarians or whatever you call yourselves, have at it.

Cheers.

Nailed it.

13. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

The phrase, "smoked meats," is required to be in any Canadian thread, so I hereby submit it formally.

As long as I'm here and we're talking about J. Crew, I think that Banana Republic should change the fruit in the name to the indigenous fruit of the locale in which the BR store is located.

So, in Canada, it would be called, Donut Republic.

Opinions?

- B

14. Chargersfan

Chargersfan Senior member

Canadians, indeed, strike me as a bit slower.

One solution might be more photos, fewer words in the J. Crew catalogs on display in Canadian J. Crew stores. Perhaps dropping the "J" and the "." to make the name easier to read would also help.

- B

I like the idea of fewer words...Americans never know when to shut the f^&k up...generally, this seems to be an extension of the ridiculous notion they have that others care what they think.

15. Chargersfan

Chargersfan Senior member