• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Canadian universities social life

likeitaloud

Reaction score
Man was someone else kind of bummed out by the social life when going to a Canadian university? Don't get me wrong first term was not bad, dated a bit, went to a few parties, some clubs/sport team/univ. events but nothing really seemed that exciting.

There are no fraternities/sororities, parties although are hosted pretty often are usually smaller scale res parties. Maybe it has something to do with 19 being the legal drinking age so clubbing is way more popular? But anyway when I went applied I expected university to be high school x100 but it largely is a bunch of tired kids. There isn't really any strong school spirit and I don't really feel that there is a community associated with the uni.

Maybe it's just me being first year and all, or my vision of what college is supposed to be like is too skewed by American movies.

Don't get me wrong college is pretty awesome and there is a lot of fun stuff going on but my expectations were somewhat greater.

What was your experience like?

Z!NG

Reaction score
u seem to contradict urself alot lol.

which uni?

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is going to be massively dependent on the school you attend. Where are you?

The big schools are going to have "townie" and mature student populations - kids who go home to either high school friends or families at the end of the day (UBC, U of A, U of T). It tends to be the smaller schools in smaller communities with large populations of out-of-towners that have party scenes - Lethbridge, Western Ontario, St. FX. Res should have parties wherever you go, as well as the sports team, but I wouldn't expect ragers with multiple bands and old guys doing beer bongs... that stuff is on its way out south of us as well.

There are fraternities at many or most schools in ON, as well as several in BC, AB, MB and even QC and the Maritimes. I was in one and remain involved nationally as an alum.

If I were you, I would have moved into res for first-year, to develop a bit of a social circle.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You just need to find out where the good parties are.

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 for America

likeitaloud

Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
This is going to be massively dependent on the school you attend. Where are you?

The big schools are going to have "townie" and mature student populations - kids who go home to either high school friends or families at the end of the day (UBC, U of A, U of T). It tends to be the smaller schools in smaller communities with large populations of out-of-towners that have party scenes - Lethbridge, Western Ontario, St. FX. Res should have parties wherever you go, as well as the sports team, but I wouldn't expect ragers with multiple bands and old guys doing beer bongs... that stuff is on its way out south of us as well.

There are fraternities at many or most schools in ON, as well as several in BC, AB, MB and even QC and the Maritimes. I was in one and remain involved nationally as an alum.

If I were you, I would have moved into res for first-year, to develop a bit of a social circle.

K I go to University of Victoria, I decided not to move into res just to save money. Well if I pressed my parents I could've stayed in res but after talking to some seniors I decided there isn't a huge advantage. I don't really have a problem with making friends and such so I didn't think it was really worth 10grand to live a few km away from my house.

I don't know if Uvic was the best choice but my parents really wanted me to stay around BC for my undergrad, and given that they are offering to pay for my entire education I decided to to stay. I had the marks for UBC, probably UofT but given my future plans, superb marks from a smaller school would be better than good ones from a major one. Uvic looked pretty good, I can transfer somewhere if I really want to later on.

Unfortunately at high school I had other things on my mind so I never considered an alternative to go to a US school.

u seem to contradict urself alot lol.

which uni?
How so?

BYucko

Reaction score
Funny, my whole high school refers to UVic as a "party school".

More likely than not, you're just not meeting the right people.

I know of some kids in UVic right now and I mean, they party hard.

likeitaloud

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BYucko
Funny, my whole high school refers to UVic as a "party school". More likely than not, you're just not meeting the right people. I know of some kids in UVic right now and I mean, they party hard.
oo

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did my law degree at UVic. Get to know some law students, they know how to party by and large.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
University of Toronto seemed pretty fun just from my walk around the area the week before classes started. I wish I had gone there instead of the UC I went to.

The main point of college is to study though, not party. If you study a lot, any break will seem more entertaining. Otherwise go to Miami.

Crawford

Reaction score
Originally Posted by likeitaloud
K I go to University of Victoria

Originally Posted by BYucko
Funny, my whole high school refers to UVic as a "party school".

More likely than not, you're just not meeting the right people.

I go to UBC, and I'm very happy with the social/party scene. That being said, I'm probably content with what could be considered a moderate social life, and I supplement the empty parts heavily with my high school and hometown friends.

One thing is for certain though: Anyone who I've talked to who had checked out the social scene at UVic (including UBC students, UVic student and non-students just looking to party) has said that UVic is definitely a party school and beats UBC out for parties.

So, give it a little time (it's still your first year, right?), start meeting new people and spend more time on campus. You'll be disappointed with the social scene no matter what if all you do is drive to class and then home again.

Z!NG

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
University of Toronto seemed pretty fun just from my walk around the area the week before classes started. I wish I had gone there instead of the UC I went to.

The main point of college is to study though, not party. If you study a lot, any break will seem more entertaining. Otherwise go to Miami.

im a transfer from University of Toronto to one of the UCs, wat up?

likeitaloud

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crawford
I go to UBC, and I'm very happy with the social/party scene. That being said, I'm probably content with what could be considered a moderate social life, and I supplement the empty parts heavily with my high school and hometown friends.

One thing is for certain though: Anyone who I've talked to who had checked out the social scene at UVic (including UBC students, UVic student and non-students just looking to party) has said that UVic is definitely a party school and beats UBC out for parties.

So, give it a little time (it's still your first year, right?), start meeting new people and spend more time on campus. You'll be disappointed with the social scene no matter what if all you do is drive to class and then home again.

Yes I just started my second semester. I think you are definably right about spending more time on campus though, there is just too much to miss.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads