• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Canadian ordering shoes from england

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did it show up through Canada post? I've always had the package just show up.

mimile

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DrCool1978
I ordered a pair of loake's from there and got dinged with $40 fee.

It is much better to use Pediwear and Royal mail.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MikeF
Whatever eupheism you use is a criminal offence - don't do it. Saving the $100 or $200 isn't worth being arrested.

My uncle is doing triple-life in a super-max prison for declaring a pair of John Lobb's a birthday gift.
sarcasm.gif

Art Vandelay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MikeF

"Getting around it" or whatever eupheism you use is a criminal offence - don't do it. Saving the $100 or $200 isn't worth being arrested.

Who's go to get arrested, the UK seller who lies about the value of the shoes for the benefit of the buyer, or the Canadian buyer whom the Canadian authorities suspect of instructing the seller to lie about the the value of the shoes? Will the UK seller be extradited to Canada for criminal trial?

juklano

Reaction score
Canadian Ordering from England. Wasn't there a war about this a couple hundred years back?

rob

Reaction score
I would like to nominate this as the most boring thread title of all time.

Rob

minus

Reaction score
Royal Mail is your best best (any national postal service is, really), as you won't be charged a brokerage fee.

You get dinged with sales tax no matter what, but depending on where the shoes were made, the style and their composition the tariff is assigned at different percentage.

I linked this a little while ago, and it's immensely handy:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/trade-com.../menu-eng.html

It's The Canada Border Services Tariff page. The PDF (and the Access Database) will give you a guide to exactly how much you can expect the Government to ding you for.

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Canuker
Did it show up through Canada post? I've always had the package just show up.

No it wasn't Canada post, I think it was UPS. Now that I've read that royal mail thing a couple of times, I'm definetly going to use that approach.

JeffsWood

Reaction score
I have ordered from pediwear twice, both time they used royal mail, both times no duty or taxes. Both times Pediwear sent the pacakge in plain wrapping, and I recall noticeing the declared value was far lower then the price of the shoes. They may have even said it was a gift, but I can't recall for sure. I did not ask them to "fix" the duty cost - they just did it on there own.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just received a pair of shoes from grapevinehill. Cost of shoes $200 CAD. Cost of customs fees $62 (approximately 30%).

I'm not amused...

contaygious

Reaction score
Just tell them to send it as a gift and mark it low cost and you are good. I didn't pay a dime of taxes on my poor Cordovan CJs which stay in the closet. I even had them send me brushes and shoe polish too. I used http://plal.com/main/ though for the best price online.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by somatoform
I just received a pair of shoes from grapevinehill. Cost of shoes $200 CAD. Cost of customs fees $62 (approximately 30%). I'm not amused...
From the sound of this thread, this seems to be the norm for shoes. On top of foreign exchange, paypal fees, international shipping fees, you get dinged another 30% at customs to buy some shoes from overseas. This is why buying from Sak's and Nordstrom's if you're in Canada is just not worth it.

likeitaloud

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Art Vandelay
Who's go to get arrested, the UK seller who lies about the value of the shoes for the benefit of the buyer, or the Canadian buyer whom the Canadian authorities suspect of instructing the seller to lie about the the value of the shoes?

Neither. Duties are for suckers why not get a friend in England order them for you and send them to you as gift worth under 50$? England isn't that big anyway.

minus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
From the sound of this thread, this seems to be the norm for shoes. On top of foreign exchange, paypal fees, international shipping fees, you get dinged another 30% at customs to buy some shoes from overseas. This is why buying from Sak's and Nordstrom's if you're in Canada is just not worth it.

Oh, sure tariff is anywhere from 8.5% for shoes from Australia and New Zealand, to 20% for Italian made boots. Plus GST. Plus PST, if it applies. Plus brokerage, if you get stuck using FedEx or UPS. Plus "Handling Fee".

On the plus side, Holt prices suddenly seem a little less **** after that don't they?

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by contaygious
Just tell them to send it as a gift and mark it low cost and you are good. I didn't pay a dime of taxes on my poor Cordovan CJs which stay in the closet. I even had them send me brushes and shoe polish too. I used http://plal.com/main/ though for the best price online.

Plal is great for canadians, you'll never pay duty with them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads