• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Canadian in DC - Hot weather suits

Kipling

Reaction score
Group:

I've just moved to DC from Toronto. This last week, I got my first taste of the infamous DC summer weather. It was horrendous.

I'm doing an emergency reworking of my wardrobe for hot weather (I'm Canadian, most of my stuff is 100 percent wool) and looking to pick up some hot weather sportscoats (single and double breasted) in a hurry.

I have one hot weather item - a black Boss SB sports coat, 75% wool/25% linen blend, which I picked up in Amman a couple of years ago. The pocket tag says it's a Maxwell-H model. There's nothing like it at the Boss store in Georgetown, and the Boss website is no help at all.

Is there anywhere in the DC area I can find these?

Kipling

summej2

Reaction score
I can't help you with where to find Boss in DC, but I'll note that my Northern Michigan self keeps cool in DC with summer-weight wool jackets with half linings---I think its is just as cool as linen and cooler than cotton. I also have some things from Ralph Lauren in a wool/linen blend, which I believe is still used in the blue label and purple label lines.

Spudbunny

Reaction score
There's also a lot of Boss at the various Filene's Basements around town. Try the one at the Mazza Galeria or on Connecticut Avenue south of Dupont Circle.

After last summer, I plan to try to live in linen in July and August. The Filene's have some nice linen jackets at reasonable prices. Dressing goes way downhill in July and August. Men abandon their jackets and all decorum. In truth, I'm not sure it makes sense to try to hold the line when the dew point is above 70 day in and day out.

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
Unless you are completely wedded to Boss, you can pick up a Haspel cotton seersucker suit - 3 button, side vented, 3/8ths lined - for about $100 at Syms (Rockville location is probably closest to you). They also have linen suits and sportcoats. The reduction in lining makes a huge difference in the DC heat.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Check out places like Filene's, where you can pick up such brands as Oxxford and Hickey for excellent prices (particularly at sale times). My coolest suit is a 100 percent wool Oxxford, which is in the neighborhood of super 80's to 100's. It's light and beautiful but resists wrinkling remarkably well. My heaviest suit, by contrast, is a Samuelsohn...gorgeous and beautifully made,but far too hot for summer.

medwards

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There are Hugo Boss shops both in Georgetown and at Tysons II Galleria. However, I would suggest that one can certainly make it through Washington summers in lightweight wool suits. That is all I own -- or have ever owned -- and what I have worn every summer weekday here in Washington since 1969.

Kipling

Reaction score
Gents:
Sorry for the long silence, I was on a business trip.

I'm not wedded to Boss. It just happens to be the only thing I have that's optimized for hot weather.

The Filene's on Conn Ave is very close by and I have been haunting it. Nothing has really leaped out at me yet, though. I'll keep an eye out for the RL wool/linen blends, though.

I have a nice Canali cream colored suit made from super 120 that is good, but haven't seen anything like it at Filene's.

Seersucker in particular is a southern US thing - I'd feel terribly conspicuous in it. I admit it's quite striking, but not something anyone's going to buy on me.

Three piece suits seem like the answer to me. You can doff the jacket and still look very formal. Does anyone still make them? I haven't seen any in a while.

Kipling

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
I appreciate your concerns regarding seersucker but Syms also carries Haspel suits in solid colors (in linen and cotton) at very good prices.

healinginfluence

Reaction score
What is the weight of your wool suits? I have lived in DC for 28 years and wear what I consider a "year round" weight wool all the time. When the heat and humidity comes you will feel hot no matter what you wear. The solution for me at least is to spend as little time as possible outside in a suit and tie. If your suits are heavy weight wool then I would buy a lighter weight wool. It's hard to wear seersucker or khaki every day in my opinion.

Hoya Saxa

Reaction score
I was just out at the Polo shop in Tysons this afternoon and picked up a Black Label jacket and trousers in a deep navy linen. They also had a good range of tan and cream linen in the Purple Label ... just not in my size (40s).

Both the black label and purple label jackets were 1/2 lined.

Best of luck!

Hoya

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The weather has been pretty gross the past few days.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
try tropical worsted it breaths.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kipling
Three piece suits seem like the answer to me. You can doff the jacket and still look very formal. Does anyone still make them? I haven't seen any in a while.

I think you'll find a waistcoat in heat and humidity unbearable -- I love them, but will only wear them October through early May and I live in the GTA.

+1 on the half-linings -- I had a white linen jacket constructed this way and it works well even in August.

Originally Posted by Kipling
Seersucker in particular is a southern US thing - I'd feel terribly conspicuous in it. I admit it's quite striking, but not something anyone's going to buy on me.

Couldn't agree more -- they're like Calgary cowboy boots and hats to me: part of a subculture of which I am conspicuously not a part. Maybe if you spend years and years in DC you will eventually feel comfortable with the seersucker.

healinginfluence

Reaction score
Originally Posted by eg1
I think you'll find a waistcoat in heat and humidity unbearable -- I love them, but will only wear them October through early May and I live in the GTA.

+1 on the half-linings -- I had a white linen jacket constructed this way and it works well even in August.

Couldn't agree more -- they're like Calgary cowboy boots and hats to me: part of a subculture of which I am conspicuously not a part. Maybe if you spend years and years in DC you will eventually feel comfortable with the seersucker.

I have never felt comfortable in either seersucker or a khaki suit. It's just not me. To me a suit should be made of wool. I have never even tried on a linen jacket but now I am tempted. Must linen jackets be pressed after every wearing?

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by healinginfluence
I have never felt comfortable in either seersucker or a khaki suit. It's just not me. To me a suit should be made of wool. I have never even tried on a linen jacket but now I am tempted. Must linen jackets be pressed after every wearing?

I don't press mine every time, but then I am not opposed to a more rumpled look generally.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads