• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Canadian Equivalent to GILT?

brandonbrandon

Reaction score
Apologies if this has been discussed before. I'm searching for a Canadian or other equivalent sale merchandise site that ships to Canada in particular. Every time I go on Gilt I'm constantly kicking myself (or them) for not shipping to Canada.

Any ideas?

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Beyond the Rack is the closest thing.

Doxe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by brandonbrandon
Apologies if this has been discussed before. I'm searching for a Canadian or other equivalent sale merchandise site that ships to Canada in particular. Every time I go on Gilt I'm constantly kicking myself (or them) for not shipping to Canada.

Any ideas?

Yoox ships to Canada and includes duty and GST/HST in the cost of the articles. What you see is what you pay.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Business opportunity.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by intent
Business opportunity.

The Canadian market for those products is nowhere as big as the US.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any ideas?

Where in Canada do you live?

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
The Canadian market for those products is nowhere as big as the US.
Maybe supplement the high-end brands with mall-level store clearances?

brandonbrandon

Reaction score
I live in Ottawa Canada and yes, maybe I can potentially befriend a member and have them ship pieces to me, but it may end up costing alot of time and money too
frown.gif
I will check out the sites mentioned by some of you. I appreciate the help!

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Easy. This is all you do.

1. Email the UPS store in Ogdensburg, NY. Tell them you want them to receive and hold packages for you. They will put your name in their system.

2. Order whatever you want from Gilt. They say they will not take international credit cards buit they will.

3. Use the UPS Ogdensburg store address for shipping address.

4. Take the 1 hour drive from Ottawa to Ogdensburg and pay UPS the $10 fee.

UPS store will hold the package for 2 weeks with no fine. After that they start charging like a $1 a day or something.

brandonbrandon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by somatoform

1. Email the UPS store in Ogdensburg, NY. Tell them you want them to receive and hold packages for you. They will put your name in their system.

2. Order whatever you want from Gilt. They say they will not take international credit cards buit they will.

UPS store will hold the package for 2 weeks with no fine. After that they start charging like a $1 a day or something.

Very informative thank you!

RangerP

Reaction score
Easy. This is all you do. 1. Email the UPS store in Ogdensburg, NY. Tell them you want them to receive and hold packages for you. They will put your name in their system. 2. Order whatever you want from Gilt. They say they will not take international credit cards buit they will. 3. Use the UPS Ogdensburg store address for shipping address. 4. Take the 1 hour drive from Ottawa to Ogdensburg and pay UPS the $10 fee. UPS store will hold the package for 2 weeks with no fine. After that they start charging like a $1 a day or something.
I'm also from Ottawa and I have many friends who do this for anything that won't ship to Canada or for things that are much cheaper in the US. For example, Apple products used to be like 150-300$ cheaper on the US side when the exchange rate was about the same. It's no longer the case but I have many friends who bought their macbook pros this way and saved some serious money.

hypostatic

Reaction score

I can't believe I'm only finding out about this now... I've been using a proxy delivery service with hefty fees for years for things that won't be shipped across the border.
eh.gif

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very informative thank you!

Originally Posted by RangerP
I'm also from Ottawa and I have many friends who do this for anything that won't ship to Canada or for things that are much cheaper in the US.

For example, Apple products used to be like 150-300$ cheaper on the US side when the exchange rate was about the same. It's no longer the case but I have many friends who bought their macbook pros this way and saved some serious money.

Originally Posted by hypostatic
I can't believe I'm only finding out about this now... I've been using a proxy delivery service with hefty fees for years for things that won't be shipped across the border.
eh.gif

I haven't known about it that long either. I was just searching for US post boxes that I could order stuff to, and came across the UPS store method. And if you check out the UPS sites they encourage it - well, they address Canadians specifically.

Admittedly, I never do it for one package. I'm not going to drive for an hour to the border just for one. So what I do is co-ordinate a bunch of shipments and pick them up all at once - usually 3, 4 or 5 packages. The savings on domestic US shipping (sometimes free), and not paying customs can be huge even after gas and all that.

UPS store will even inform you when the package arrives (and that's $10 per package solid - no tax).

I've already done this with a Gilt purchase so I know it works. It'a also nice to finally be able to order from the Polo website. In the near future I'll be ordering a $900 jacket with free shipping in the US. That one package will amount to a $350 savings.

Living next to a border crossing has its benefits. I think every border crossing in ON has a UPS store nearby, don't know about the other provinces. At my border crossing, the UPS store is literally right there when you cross.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads