• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Canada's Harry Rosen

Omega Man

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just to give our friends south of the border and around the world a glimpse of Canadian menswear for the holidays. Here is the link:
http://www.harryrosen.com/en/home.shtml

If you click "click to view our holiday gift guide", you will see some of Harry's offering. BTW, these are in Canadian dollars.

We don't have very many high end menswear stores in Canada, so I can't do a product/price comparison. Harry generally charges a premium on many things in his stores.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depending on where you live, I would say that canada has a fair number of high quality clothing stores, not to mention some excellent tailors. Of course we have nothing similar to what's found in NYC, LA, or London, but we have enough options to survive
blush.gif

masqueofhastur

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
Depending on where you live, I would say that canada has a fair number of high quality clothing stores, not to mention some excellent tailors. Of course we have nothing similar to what's found in NYC, LA, or London, but we have enough options to survive
blush.gif

Is Vancouver in that "depending on where you live" category?

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never spent much time in Vancouver, but I assume they have some quality choices

Demeter

Reaction score
You'd have to ask Roger about Vancouver. He knows the city inside and out, I believe.

fatherseanfan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by masqueofhastur
Is Vancouver in that "depending on where you live" category?

Absolutely not. Worst of the big Canadian cities for menswear by a mile.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hear conflicting rumours coming out of the East: is Calgary or Edmonton ahead in clothes?

mendel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fatherseanfan
Absolutely not. Worst of the big Canadian cities for menswear by a mile.

Ottawa's strongly in the running for that title, if not the lead.

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Montreal and Toronto are the only Canadian cities that carry an array of the names that many on this board would associate with quality and elegance. Vancouver, Calgary and Ottawa essentially have what Holt's and Harry's think they can sell in these provincial (and I mean that in the pejorative) outposts. You'll find your Boss and Canali and Zegna and Allen Edmonds but that's about it.

Vancouver does have a few little gems that I (and the learned Roger) know of. Perhaps there are some in Calgary and Ottawa too - but I don't know those towns well at all.

Demeter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mendel

I don't know about that. There's no Kiton or Brioni or anything along those lines here, but you can find some decent labels in the smaller stores. Vernini's got Cerruti, Tino Cosma, and a couple of others, including Versace, if you're into that. Morgante's got the usual suspects for more fashion-forward people. The old place on Sparks... E.R. Fisher, I think, has Paul & Shark.

This isn't Oxxford or Lobb territory, but Ottawa's definitely far from a hole, and it always amuses me to hear people write it off as such either in regards to menswear, entertainment, or food.

masqueofhastur

Reaction score
Vancouver does have a few little gems that I (and the learned Roger) know of. Perhaps there are some in Calgary and Ottawa too - but I don't know those towns well at all.
Care to list some of them?

fatherseanfan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mendel

I was only considering Vancouver, Calgary, Montreal and Toronto.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Heh, I wouldn't get my hopes up for Calgary. My uncle is ceo of an oil and gas company there and i'm pretty sure that 4 days out of 5 he's wearing something pretty casual. It's extremely casual out there. Harry Rosen is it.

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Heh, I wouldn't get my hopes up for Calgary. My uncle is ceo of an oil and gas company there and i'm pretty sure that 4 days out of 5 he's wearing something pretty casual. It's extremely casual out there. Harry Rosen is it.

I love the stopover in the Calgary airport - grown men in cowboy hats and boots, black levis and crappy sportcoats with a polo or open-necked shirt. Many canadian-tuxedo sightings too...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads