• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Canada Goose

ryewo[i dmfsOZI490w

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Jumped on board the **** aesthetics/**** popular **** and bought a Chateau. I have a Moncler and Veliance, both of which weren't keeping me warm enough. I think it's total pleb wear, but it's keeping me warm, so I love it.

Good for you.

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I just did the same thing. I suffered through the last two winters without a truly warm winter coat and it can suck sometimes. It was about 6* this morning with wind chill well below 0*. Ordered a Chateau just a few minutes ago. As far as truly warm down jackets go, I think CG are some of the cleanest looking ones at least.

SuEd

Reaction score
Jumped on board the **** aesthetics/**** popular **** and bought a Chateau. I have a Moncler and Veliance, both of which weren't keeping me warm enough. I think it's total pleb wear, but it's keeping me warm, so I love it.

Which moncler and veilance did you have?

chet31

Reaction score

Quote:
Not solved because my other clothes will not fit....and I would think that is way more expensive to adjust all my other clothing. CG doesn't cater to 29inch waist and 34 inch chest dudes?
Jeze, I find it hard enough to find clothes that fit at 33" waist, 40" chest, so you have it that much harder. I hit Chicago last week, tried some stuff on. Here's what I found: CG Chilliwack, Borden, Freestyle Vest - Small fit me best. CG Burnett, Chateau - Med fit me best. Arc'Teryx Kappa - Small fit me best, but med would work. To me, Burnett was the best looking, very clean lines. Chateau was the warmest but I found it strangely constricting around the thighs. Kappa was the 2nd warmest and most comfortable, easiest to live in day to day, kind of a shorter version of the Chateau (and was only $399). Anyway, Jeze, size down as you see fit from my comments.

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
thanks chet this pretty mch confirms that I'm a XS and not an S

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Jeze, I find it hard enough to find clothes that fit at 33" waist, 40" chest, so you have it that much harder. I hit Chicago last week, tried some stuff on. Here's what I found:

CG Chilliwack, Borden, Freestyle Vest - Small fit me best.

My chest is a little smaller and so is my waist, but I'm a L in both.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you are going to wear it over just a tee consider sizing down.

A parka is supposed to look bulky, especially a down-filled parka. The feathers need space to do their job of insulating you from the cold. Therefore, a tight fitting down-filled parka defeats the purpose of the feathers because it squashes them together. Do not size down but rather wear an extra layer over the Tee.

Last edited:

lidprop

Reaction score
Good advice, ceoceo. Bought a Citadel last season in size L. I usually wear a size M but the L seemed to fit better. Layering is easy and the coat is incredibly warm. And, it gets better, it was on sale!

ceoceo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I was like "you're.. welcome?" :satisfied:

My father was looking to purchase a down jacket for commuting so I just handed over my Manitoba. No big deal since I already had another CG jacket, and 3 zippers (1 front 2 side panels) on Manitoba make it less obtrusive when driving (I take public transportation).

So now that I am back on the lookout for warm winter jacket, what are some alternatives to CG? Possibly around $6~700, clean like Canada Goose, but actually keeps me dry and can regulate heat (which CG disappointed me with lack thereof). Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Stitches

Reaction score
Look at Fjallraven.

Pretty much the equivalent of CG with more technical fabrics (i.e. waterproof) and at a slightly lower pricepoint

Last edited:

Royal42

Reaction score
Edit: Just picked up a Branta Cargo Nelson. Amazing jacket. Not entirely sure how I feel about the concealed fleece-lined stretch cuffs but, on the whole, as a heavy-duty alternative to my Veilance Insulated Shell, this is perfect.

Last edited:

Liva

Reaction score
Down and parkas should ideally be bought as loose or large as possible, while still fitting without appearing too baggy: you get more coat for your money; and it allows room for layers. Slightly fitted but with some room, for skiing.

jediroger

Reaction score
I need to replace my 5+ year North Face winter jacket. I'm looking for a CG Black Langford Parka in Medium but no such luck. I checked out the list of CG retailers on their site and it looks like no one has the exact one in stock. Anyone come across the jacket i'm looking for in stock anywhere?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads