1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Canada Goose

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Jbreen1, Aug 3, 2009.

1. whatever123

whatever123 Senior member

yeah...i thought it might be. control is a god damn clothing dictionary[​IMG]

2. whatever123

What do you think the right climate is for this jacket? Application? It's hard to tell from the picture if it's moderate to heavy duty... [​IMG]
    um....did you notice the fill count? its for colder then sweater, not cold enough to dog sled.

3. Please Respond

Please Respond Well-Known Member

um....did you notice the fill count? its for colder then sweater, not cold enough to dog sled.

Don't know much about fill count. Wonder if it would be a good jacket for our mild LA winters or too heavy/bulky?

4. a2_hennessy

a2_hennessy Senior member

The first link has a merino wool shell meanwhile the second link has a polyester shell.
    Ah, didn't even notice that. Are they both going to have the same warmth factor? I'm pretty new to this buying winterwear thing (lived in Texas for most of my life), so you'll have to forgive me for all the stupid questions.

5. willyxjai

willyxjai Well-Known Member

Does anybody know any online stores that carry Canada Goose parkas at discounted prices (perhaps from previous seasons)? I'm looking to buy one for my first Detroit winter, and would really like to be able to get them at a price less than full retail.

Of course, if there aren't, I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet. [​IMG]

http://www.gear-up.com/category/340

They used sell their chilliwack for under 400 but that was last year, not sure if they'll do it again especially when winter is just around the corner.

6. robowarrior

robowarrior Active Member

Is it just me, or is the original Canada Goose Expedition Parka sizing way off? I usually wear L in jackets, but S was the size that fit me best

7. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

http://www.gear-up.com/category/340

They used sell their chilliwack for under 400 but that was last year, not sure if they'll do it again especially when winter is just around the corner.

540$ is cheap as it is, they retail for 800$ around here, should had proxyed my last two[​IMG]

Canada Goose doesn't go on sale, as they sell the exact same jacket next winter

8. intent

intent Senior member

I got a down vest from Ruelala's sale a few weeks ago. It's really warm and cozy, but the fit won't be SW&D style.

9. gearhead

gearhead Senior member

fill count is 750 Hutterite white duck down

and to the sizing of the expediation, yeah, i have to size down two on normal canada goose wear, they are gigantic, japan editions, its safe to go true to size

10. blazingazn

blazingazn Senior member

people need to stop wearing this jackets when it's clearly too hot for them!

or take some of their lighter offerings without the fur hood and such.

11. palma

palma Senior member

Dammit did I miss out on the bloomingdale sale or is it still going and some sort of coupon is needed?

12. bigboy

bigboy Senior member

people need to stop wearing this jackets when it's clearly too hot for them!

or take some of their lighter offerings without the fur hood and such.

I've kind of wanted to keep out of this whole thing seeing as how too many people seem set on one or the other.

For one, many CG jackets don't even use goose down, they use duck down. Duck down in comparison to goose down is inferior. Granted, when they do use Canadian goose down, and if it is in fact white Hutterite goose down, then it'll make for a solid jacket with great warmth..but don't kid yourself, that's the quality they use in extreme conditions (read: expeditions to the arctic and other harsh climates), are you really going to sit there in urban-where-ever-the-fuck and say that you need that jacket? Clearly not. And if you do..you need to realize that living in an cold environment suggests that you layer; base layer, mid layer, shell. With that being said, and common sense guiding you to some degree, most jackets will do the job where ever you live.

Now, as to the issue of north face vs. Canada goose. Many north face jackets actually use goose down. I believe they use Hungarian goose down; goose down which is a close 2nd to Canadian goose. Now taking into account what I said earlier about the type of down that's used in many Canada goose jackets, the condition they're meant to be worn in, and the amount of down the majority of the jackets come in (550 - 650 for the majority of CG I believe, while NF uses 550 - 800*) AND if you make use of common day technology (base layer + mid layer + outer layer/shell/jacket) there is no reason why most jackets cannot do the job in urban-where-ever-the-fuck.

Also note that the price discrepancy between the two brands is also affected by the fact that one is manufactured in Canada, while the other in China. I personally don't own any CG jackets or NF jackets, so I can't attest to the quality of either one. But I'm sure the NF jackets hold up well and quality may not be an issue.

*I believe the higher down filled jackets use a higher blend of down than the lower ones, possibly 90/10 - 95/5, possibly for the 700 and up.*

13. robowarrior

robowarrior Active Member

Dammit did I miss out on the bloomingdale sale or is it still going and some sort of coupon is needed?

You missed it :/. Please write here if there are any other places to get CD gear on discount in US/Canada.

Interesting post, BigBoy. I will take TNF in consideration when buying my winter parka.

14. nonissue

nonissue Senior member

just ordered a medium cheateau. tried on small/large in store today, fit was surprisingly slim. won't dread the -40 days as much anymore.

15. whatever123

oh okay.
    I've kind of wanted to keep out of this whole thing seeing as how too many people seem set on one or the other. For one, many CG jackets don't even use goose down, they use duck down. Duck down in comparison to goose down is inferior. Granted, when they do use Canadian goose down, and if it is in fact white Hutterite goose down, then it'll make for a solid jacket with great warmth..but don't kid yourself, that's the quality they use in extreme conditions (read: expeditions to the arctic and other harsh climates), are you really going to sit there in urban-where-ever-the-fuck and say that you need that jacket? Clearly not. And if you do..you need to realize that living in an cold environment suggests that you layer; base layer, mid layer, shell. With that being said, and common sense guiding you to some degree, most jackets will do the job where ever you live. Now, as to the issue of north face vs. Canada goose. Many north face jackets actually use goose down. I believe they use Hungarian goose down; goose down which is a close 2nd to Canadian goose. Now taking into account what I said earlier about the type of down that's used in many Canada goose jackets, the condition they're meant to be worn in, and the amount of down the majority of the jackets come in (550 - 650 for the majority of CG I believe, while NF uses 550 - 800*) AND if you make use of common day technology (base layer + mid layer + outer layer/shell/jacket) there is no reason why most jackets cannot do the job in urban-where-ever-the-fuck. Also note that the price discrepancy between the two brands is also affected by the fact that one is manufactured in Canada, while the other in China. I personally don't own any CG jackets or NF jackets, so I can't attest to the quality of either one. But I'm sure the NF jackets hold up well and quality may not be an issue. *I believe the higher down filled jackets use a higher blend of down than the lower ones, possibly 90/10 - 95/5, possibly for the 700 and up.*

16. irbe

irbe Senior member

17. bob99

bob99 Senior member

Irbe - they are all the same Jacket. The Manitoba is only available as a Japanese edition, there is no standard edition of it.

I've tried this one on at Uncle Otis (also available at Holt Renfrew and Over The Rainbow) though I ended up buying the non-pocketed Calgary version instead.

It's a great coat! The new graphite ones this year are a particularly nice colourway.

18. irbe

irbe Senior member

Thanks Bob. Tried on one on Queen street expecting to be a MEDIUM since I heard it was slimmer. Had to size down to a small. Going to be looking to see cheapest place to buy.

19. macuser3of5

macuser3of5 Senior member

Don't know much about fill count. Wonder if it would be a good jacket for our mild LA winters or too heavy/bulky?
    I would think anything with down would be too much for an LA "winter".