• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Canada Goose

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
OSC definitely looks nice. The Nukka is exactly the type of coat she would like. Looks like most US or internet places don't carry it or don't have it in stock. Maybe better luck next summer/fall when places are stocking back up on winter. I don't mind spending $800 on a jacket for her, but not if the quality doesn't come with it.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
OSC definitely looks nice. The Nukka is exactly the type of coat she would like. Looks like most US or internet places don't carry it or don't have it in stock. Maybe better luck next summer/fall when places are stocking back up on winter. I don't mind spending $800 on a jacket for her, but not if the quality doesn't come with it.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My mother owns an OSC and my niece has a Cross coat and honestly they seem the same to me, with a slight advantage to OSC.

From what I was able to google, they are the same company. I read somewhere that OSC and CG was originally the same business as well and they split up into 2, one real outdoor and one more fashiony (can't find it now though), also rumor has it OSC used to manufacture CG coats.

ryewo[i dmfsOZI490w

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nobis is another company that makes what sounds like excellent parkas - they're fully waterproof, which CG aren't, and have real fur (like CG). They are also a bit more stylish in my opinion, and appear to have a few more useful bells and whistles in terms of pockets and stuff.

I've had my black CG for 5 seasons now, and just the other day someone told me it looked like it was new. I don't think I'd buy again, I'd probably get Nobis, but it goes for around $800 full price.

Cold Manufactured and OSC Cross look pretty nice too. The Bay in Canada had a few women's models for half off during Boxing Day.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I was able to find a Canadian retailer that had the model of OSC my wife liked. Unfortunately, after it arrived it was too small. Really unfortunate that shipping it back cost me $70 USD. So, won't be ordering a parka for her again unless free shipping and free returns are included. It's the risk of ordering online without being able to try on for size. Thanks for all the suggestions though. Good stuff!

Hero878

Reaction score
I finally got around to sending my parka back to the store who has then forwarded to Canada Goose. Just waiting to hear back now...its been a couple of weeks but I heard it can take months. Fingers crossed I get a new parka with nice fur. Just hope they have changed the quality of materials they've been using.

smartie-pants

Reaction score
Has anyone here tried on a Moncler "Rethel" coat?

I have an XXS Chateau and recently tried on the Moncler and it's night/day different - much more form fitting and tailored, but with the same coyote fur. Can't imagine paying x3 the cost though.

Hero878

Reaction score
Update: Finally got my parka back the other week. It repaired. They restitched/overworked the affected seam and sleeve areas and replaced the inner knit cuffs. It was shipped back from Germany so not as far as Canada is to the UK.

lisarobis1992

Reaction score

I have an XXS Chateau and recently tried on the Moncler and it's night/day different - much more form fitting and tailored, but with the same coyote fur. Can't imagine paying x3 the cost though.
The Chataeu seems to be very form fitting compared to other parkas. The annoying thing about that jacket is that the pockets sticks out like elephant ears! Moncler is way overpriced for what you get. Canada Goose is a great deal considering all the variables.

If you want more form fitting I can recommend a Nobis jacket. http://nobis.com/

zunkido

Reaction score
Nobis is another company that makes what sounds like excellent parkas - they're fully waterproof, which CG aren't, and have real fur (like CG). They are also a bit more stylish in my opinion, and appear to have a few more useful bells and whistles in terms of pockets and stuff.

I've had my black CG for 5 seasons now, and just the other day someone told me it looked like it was new. I don't think I'd buy again, I'd probably get Nobis, but it goes for around $800 full price.

Cold Manufactured and OSC Cross look pretty nice too. The Bay in Canada had a few women's models for half off during Boxing Day.

I have three Canada Goose and one Nobis Yatesi. I don't like the Nobis as much as CG. The Nobis fabric is much thinner and fragile. The buttons on it are starting to get loose with very little use. Moreover, the hole for the thumbs started to tear into the fabric quickly.

What I do like about Nobis is the warmth as well as the magnetic wind flap closure (it's warmer than the CG Langford parka) Their fur on the hoodie has a 'steel liner' so you can shape it as you want.

In terms of their fabric it's not inherently waterproof. It's treated with a synthetic membrane. I think the waterproofness places Nobis in a different category than CG. Myself, like to wear a down parka when it creeps under 50 degrees, and that means rain !

Nobis was also started by one of the previous owners of Canada Goose (or at least he was involved with CG somehow) and wanted to take the jackets in a different direction!

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have three Canada Goose and one Nobis Yatesi. I don't like the Nobis as much as CG. The Nobis fabric is much thinner and fragile. The buttons on it are starting to get loose with very little use. Moreover, the hole for the thumbs started to tear into the fabric quickly.

What I do like about Nobis is the warmth as well as the magnetic wind flap closure (it's warmer than the CG Langford parka) Their fur on the hoodie has a 'steel liner' so you can shape it as you want. 

In terms of their fabric it's not inherently waterproof. It's treated with a synthetic membrane. I think the waterproofness places Nobis in a different category than CG. Myself, like to wear a down parka when it creeps under 50 degrees, and that means rain ! 

Nobis was also started by one of the previous owners of Canada Goose (or at least he was involved with CG somehow) and wanted to take the jackets in a different direction!

when you own more than one Canada goose you have Canada Geese!!

imlou

Reaction score

I have an XXS Chateau and recently tried on the Moncler and it's night/day different - much more form fitting and tailored, but with the same coyote fur.   Can't imagine paying x3 the cost though.

Hi there! I was wondering what your measurements are? I'm looking to get the CG chateau parka (fusion fit, because of my smaller frame), but I can't decide whether to get the xs or xxs. after extensive research I'm thinking xs, but since you have an xxs I would like to know your measurements and maybe the xxs might be the one for me. My only worry is that the xxs will be too tight and restrict comfortable movement, and that the xs might be too loose/big (but given it is the fusion fit, it'll be okay maybe?)

Thank you!

Edit: my measurements are: 5'3" (130lb), 34 inch chest, 28 waist, 30-31 hip

Last edited:

zunkido

Reaction score
Hi there! I was wondering what your measurements are? I'm looking to get the CG chateau parka (fusion fit, because of my smaller frame), but I can't decide whether to get the xs or xxs. after extensive research I'm thinking xs, but since you have an xxs I would like to know your measurements and maybe the xxs might be the one for me. My only worry is that the xxs will be too tight and restrict comfortable movement, and that the xs might be too loose/big (but given it is the fusion fit, it'll be okay maybe?)

Thank you!

Edit: my measurements are: 5'3" (130lb), 34 inch chest, 28 waist, 30-31 hip
That really depends what weather you're going to encounter. If you are going to wear only a tee or thin shirt under, then XSS would work for a slim fit. If it's going to be very cold and you need layers underneath (depending on how you react to weather) then go for a larger XS.

I would recommend buying both of them and return the one that doesn't fit your frame.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads