Canada Goose

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Jbreen1, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Spencer

Spencer Senior member

Never see it in L.A.

Probably due to the fact that it doesn't get below 50 degrees during the day, here but it is cold enough to sport my Chinese Goose Vest.

I prefer and see more Kjus jackets on the slopes out here. Kjus is more functional ski-wise to me than CG.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011

2. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

am i the only person who's always getting the zipper stuck in the windflap? my calgary (japanese, navy, size 36) has some small holes there from pulling it out of the zipper teeth. gonna sell this thing next winter i think.

3. blairh

blairh Senior member

Exhibit A: Chinese Goose.

[​IMG]

4. blairh

blairh Senior member

I definitely can't imagine CG in L.A. Like you said, maybe a vest. Even something like the Hybridge Lite jacket, while very slim looking, is going to be totally unnecessary for any southern California weather.

5. Spencer

Spencer Senior member

Pretty much.

It does get into the 30's (occasionally) at night, but yes the vest I have is the Hybridge Lite and it is totally suitable.

People in L.A. try so hard though. It will seriously be 65 degrees outside, but because it is "winter" they will have heavy coats and scarfs on, so sad and lame.

6. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

Yeah... good to hear that Im not the only one I might just duck tape my windflap in advance

7. Patrick James

Patrick James Senior member

I'm getting the impression my Constable isn't going to be warm enough for the impending Montreal winter, damnit.

8. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

I have just sold mine, I had a thick sailors knit, shirt and long underwear underneath it last winter in windy -16c and I wasn't impressed at all.

9. Patrick James

What did you upgrade to?

10. blairh

blairh Senior member

I had the Chateau for a week. (Returned it, too small.) Loved the fit and look of the coat, but it wasn't as warm as I expected or wanted.

The Constable is a nice looking coat but it is not a mid-thigh length model so you won't be as protected compared to a more typical parka. If you elect to sell the Constable, I suggest you get a coat that will cover your backside and part of your legs. Especially considering you live in Montreal.

I ordered a Marmot Whitehorse parka for my Dad yesterday (Xmas gift). I'll report back tomorrow when it arrives and let you know how it compares to the Chateau IMO.

11. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Norrøna /29 Parka I don't if it's an upgrade yet warmth wise, but it's thinner as it's primaloft and 10cm longer and I haven't met anyone with one besides me, so I'm happy.

The Constable and the Chiliwack I had were bought 7 years a part and the Constable, which I bought last was not as warm, as the older coat, so I have a feeling that the quality has dropped with the demand rising.

12. blairh

blairh Senior member

This is a very interesting comment. My friend in Toronto told me recently that he tried on some CG gear and shares your feeling that CG coats are simply not as warm now as they were a few years back. (Expedition and it's like excluded.) One thing I've noticed is that CG coats have gone up in price over the past few years. I wonder if they have also included less down in their coats at the same time.

13. Patrick James

Yeah; I was looking at a Chateau today and I was disgusted to see such a flimsy jacket going for $600. I bought my Constable last year for $450 and this year it's going for $524. Come on...

14. blairh

blairh Senior member

My father's Marmot Whitehorse parka came today. The first thing I noticed as I took it out of the bag is how much heavier it is just to hold in your hand(s) compared to the Chateau. Tried it on and sure enough I found it to be substantially warmer too.

Looks wise this is apples and oranges. The Chateau is a beautiful coat with a slim fit. The Whitehorse is a muted look but certainly far from ugly. It however does look more bulky on the body. It's also waterproof but has no fur on its hood. The side pockets are also a little too low which makes putting your hands in them slightly awkward. Overall I'm impressed and I'm sure my dad will love it.

If I can find a promo code post Xmas I might still get a CG coat. But I definitely would not pay retail price for one.

[​IMG]

15. Brattman

Brattman Senior member

Any idea if any shops carrying Canada Goose will have sales after Xmas? I'm looking for a small freestyle vest.