• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you wear green in winter?

Xcyte

Reaction score
In particular, a lighter green. Would the shirt I've attached look out of place in winter?

Attachments

• 6b3f16528f78dbfc6b5d1fcc6e11d6f1_large.jpg
    6b3f16528f78dbfc6b5d1fcc6e11d6f1_large.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 9dddd548b53009283b8fe0061546e888_large.jpg
    9dddd548b53009283b8fe0061546e888_large.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 93
  • c17992554b008cf89408c81f606ced1c_large.jpg
    c17992554b008cf89408c81f606ced1c_large.jpg
    375.7 KB · Views: 84

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would be fine without a tie IMO. Wouldn't wear it in a conservative suit/tie outfit but would work in casual outfits for sure. This is a pretty neutral green.

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score
You can wear any color you want in any season you want. Minty greens are not the easiest colors to pair, but sure, you could make it work.

That said, this looks like a linen shirt, which might look out of place, and will provide nearly zero warmth in the winter.

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score

1. Not all linen is created equally. I have one of Drake's heavy japanese linen chore coats. It's a *very* heavy linen canvas, probably well above any suiting weight, and yeah, it's pretty good in, say, the 50s. I've considered writing an article about linen's broad range for a while now. But the shirt in OP does not look like winter weight linen. It looks like shirting weight linen shirting in a linen weave. It will provide zero warmth.

2. So, the blogger here is wearing, up top, a base layer, the linen jumpsuit, the sweater, a scarf and the overcoat. I think it's say to say that she'd be pretty cozy up top without the jumpsuit covering some of her torso. The strange thing, though, is the bottom half. The bottom half is a cropped linen relaxed through the leg. It doesn't even look like heavy linen, and even assuming that the base layer is doing a whole lot of work, there's no way that skin around her ankles isn't suffering. Even if that linen were wool, the hem is so wide open that the jumpsuit just can't be adding an appreciable amount of warmth. The linen jumpsuit also happens to look pretty light, and she describes it as such here: http://www.motifiedblog.com/blog/sotela-warm-weather-collection. So this strikes me as a strange, dishonest-looking article. Which is a shame, because this point could have been made a lot better without the weird gimmick. Oh well, I'm already at work on that myself, so...

Xcyte

Reaction score
1. Not all linen is created equally. I have one of Drake's heavy japanese linen chore coats. It's a *very* heavy linen canvas, probably well above any suiting weight, and yeah, it's pretty good in, say, the 50s. I've considered writing an article about linen's broad range for a while now. But the shirt in OP does not look like winter weight linen. It looks like shirting weight linen shirting in a linen weave. It will provide zero warmth.

2. So, the blogger here is wearing, up top, a base layer, the linen jumpsuit, the sweater, a scarf and the overcoat. I think it's say to say that she'd be pretty cozy up top without the jumpsuit covering some of her torso. The strange thing, though, is the bottom half. The bottom half is a cropped linen relaxed through the leg. It doesn't even look like heavy linen, and even assuming that the base layer is doing a whole lot of work, there's no way that skin around her ankles isn't suffering. Even if that linen were wool, the hem is so wide open that the jumpsuit just can't be adding an appreciable amount of warmth. The linen jumpsuit also happens to look pretty light, and she describes it as such here: http://www.motifiedblog.com/blog/sotela-warm-weather-collection. So this strikes me as a strange, dishonest-looking article. Which is a shame, because this point could have been made a lot better without the weird gimmick. Oh well, I'm already at work on that myself, so...

What about something like this, for winter?

I know it’s 100% linen, it doesn’t really look much different from regular dress pants. Would the fabric look out of place in winter? Not too concerned with warmth… when it gets cold I just wear an overcoat and that works for me

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
think it depends on where you live. I'd wear linen year-round in the Southwest, Florida, etc. I don't wear linen in the winter in Michigan -- not just because of whether I'd feel cold/warm but because how linen looks and wrinkles is more typical of a warm-weather look. Those dress pants will also wrinkle and rumple during the day, so by the end of the day they're not going to look nearly as neat as when they are freshly pressed.

Xcyte

Reaction score
think it depends on where you live. I'd wear linen year-round in the Southwest, Florida, etc. I don't wear linen in the winter in Michigan -- not just because of whether I'd feel cold/warm but because how linen looks and wrinkles is more typical of a warm-weather look. Those dress pants will also wrinkle and rumple during the day, so by the end of the day they're not going to look nearly as neat as when they are freshly pressed.

Yeah man that's what I figured... I have some cotton/linen dress pants that are ok year round... But 100% linen is probably a no go. Thanks man

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score
What about something like this, for winter?

I know it’s 100% linen, it doesn’t really look much different from regular dress pants. Would the fabric look out of place in winter? Not too concerned with warmth… when it gets cold I just wear an overcoat and that works for me

I mean, 270g linen pants... would not be warm enough for me, and will probably wrinkle the way linen pants do, so probably not. Then again, if you wear cotton/linen in the winter, and you're really not worried about warmth, you can already try it. It'll look different, but you might be able to work the vibe. Maybe like a crispy heavy workwear vibe?

Xcyte

Reaction score
I mean, 270g linen pants... would not be warm enough for me, and will probably wrinkle the way linen pants do, so probably not. Then again, if you wear cotton/linen in the winter, and you're really not worried about warmth, you can already try it. It'll look different, but you might be able to work the vibe. Maybe like a crispy heavy workwear vibe?

I think I'm better off not going with it. My cotton/linen trousers hardly wrinkle... And my main concern was it just looking out of place bc of wrinkling and the texture. Def not really going for that workwear vibe. I gotta go with the advice you and others have provided and avoid it! thanks for ur input bro!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads