Can you wear a pocket square to a law school party?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by josepidal, Sep 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Man In Space

Man In Space Senior member

Jose -
    Although I do agree that you do seem to obsess too much over minute details, I do have great respect for your ability to filter out all of the crap spewed your way to get to the good friendly advice given by some.
    You're like a boxer who is improving despite daily ass-kickings and still manages to remain standing and come back for more.

Even if the pocket square/blazer at the bar was "over the top", who really cares? Would that be worse than the guy in shorts and flip-flops? I'd rather be overdressed than underdressed even if I end up looking like I'm trying too hard.

By the way, it seems to me that some people feel the need to respond to every one of Jose's posts because it's an easy way to increase their own post count.

Who gives a rat's asshole what his threads started vs. threads replied to or whatever the fuck that stat was?

2. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

I do have great respect for your ability to filter out all of the crap spewed your way to get to the good friendly advice given by some.
    Heh, thanks. In every forum, there are people whose opinions are as wise as they are well meant. For example, I've listened to a respected denim proprietor comment about having to filter out the posers on Superfuture, etc.

I don't think sounding out people about tweaking your style on a style forum is a sign of insecurity (it might be a sign of sufficient security to do it). Maybe obsession, but we're all guilty of that to various degrees.

I think making inane comments on an Internet forum ad nauseum is a sign of insecurity.

I simply love the couple of pocket squares I have because I purchased them in Singapore while taking a brief tour with an SF'er. I've received countless compliments on the particular navy/gold square I always wear with my blazer. As whoopee and others said, it's no big deal. Even if I were in fact overdressed by my peers' perceptions, I ended up joking that I was the only person in the room licensed to practice law already, and that cracked everyone up.

3. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

Jose -
    Although I do agree that you do seem to obsess too much over minute details, I do have great respect for your ability to filter out all of the crap spewed your way to get to the good friendly advice given by some.
    You're like a boxer who is improving despite daily ass-kickings and still manages to remain standing and come back for more.

Even if the pocket square/blazer at the bar was "over the top", who really cares? Would that be worse than the guy in shorts and flip-flops? I'd rather be overdressed than underdressed even if I end up looking like I'm trying too hard.

By the way, it seems to me that some people feel the need to respond to every one of Jose's posts because it's an easy way to increase their own post count.

Who gives a rat's asshole what his threads started vs. threads replied to or whatever the fuck that stat was?

On the other hand, starting a million useless threads pushes the useful threads down further where they are less likely to be seen and where people are less likely to respond to them, thereby decreasing the overall quality of communication on the forum.

4. MrRogers

MrRogers Senior member

Heh, thanks. In every forum, there are people whose opinions are as wise as they are well meant. For example, I've listened to a respected denim proprietor comment about having to filter out the posers on Superfuture, etc.

I don't think sounding out people about tweaking your style on a style forum is a sign of insecurity (it might be a sign of sufficient security to do it). Maybe obsession, but we're all guilty of that to various degrees.

I think making inane comments on an Internet forum ad nauseum is a sign of insecurity.

I simply love the couple of pocket squares I have because I purchased them in Singapore while taking a brief tour with an SF'er. I've received countless compliments on the particular navy/gold square I always wear with my blazer. As whoopee and others said, it's no big deal. Even if I were in fact overdressed by my peers' perceptions, I ended up joking that I was the only person in the room licensed to practice law already, and that cracked everyone up.

So if it's a non-issue why bother to post about it.

I do admit I like your posts because I think you're a quirky guy. From the old "'antiquing' 1000$ shoes with fountain pen ink posts" to the "does my custom blazer that's 4 sizes too small fit ok post" I love em all!!!!

Nevermind what others think of your dress as long as it is professionally appropriate when necessary. I wear all kinds of crazy stuff and take chances with my dress on a daily basis. I'm also one of two men in a graduate cohort of 21 women. Opinions of me may vary but at the end of the day I dress for myself and could really care less if someone has a negative opinion.

MrR

5. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I think making inane comments on an Internet forum ad nauseum is a sign of insecurity

Here is something we may all agree on

6. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

I don't think this is true.

7. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

On the other hand, maybe you have a point.

8. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

Nah...I just don't believe it.

9. Hanseat

Hanseat Senior member

As far as I can recall you're attending Harvard Law School, where in the US, if not there would it be okay to break out a PS? Also, isn't everyone trying to be 'special' there anyway- so that's your mark of distinction, it's a mark of honor!

10. Augusto86

Augusto86 Sean Penn's Mexican love child

Quote: Originally Posted by Man In Space By the way, it seems to me that some people feel the need to respond to every one of Jose's posts because it's an easy way to increase their own post count.

[​IMG]

11. marc237

marc237 Senior member

Avoid date-rapes; they will not gloss it over for you.[​IMG]

Yes, but wearing a pocket square would then make it far easy for the polic to pick you up after.

Officer: "Do recognize the man you say Ms. LaRue met in the bar among the men standing in that room - take your time.

Witness: "Yes, he is the one with the pocket square. I would recognize it anywhere. No Harvard man would ever wear one. I know something was fishy."

12. Master Shake

Master Shake Senior member

Yes, but wearing a pocket square would then make it far easy for the polic to pick you up after.

Officer: "Do recognize the man you say Ms. LaRue met in the bar among the men standing in that room - take your time.

Witness: "Yes, he is the one with the pocket square. I would recognize it anywhere. No Harvard man would ever wear one. I know something was fishy."

Jose may end up being the next Rubin "Hurricane" Carter.

[​IMG]

13. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Senior member

Stop wasting bandwidth.

14. retronotmetro

Srsly, stop wasting bandwidth.

15. retronotmetro

Enough already.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.