• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you wear a pocket square to a law school party?

Status
Not open for further replies.

new obsession

Reaction score
The square is fine, as indicated by their reaction. I doubt they were busting your stones, you made an impression. Law students are by their nature non-confrontational, had they thought you lookig stupid, they woudl have simply laughed behind your back.

I think Whoopie is right again as always. It is a question of attitude, the only problem with a square in that situation is that it might give some people the impression that you are stiff, stodgy or stuck up. However, I ask you this, are those the people you want to hang out with???

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Be yourself.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by josepidal
Asking doesn't mean worrying, does it?

In your case I bet it does. You seem to require an awful lot of validation. At some point you just need to do *your thing* without asking everyone if it's "ok".

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by new obsession
However, I ask you this, are those the people you want to hang out with???
Heh, it was a pretty large party with a good number of the senior class in attendance. I received an amazing insight into how Americans get wasted and how things like Girls Gone Wild come into being.

A number of girls, incidentally, dressed up in long dresses and looked great.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
I drank more in my first two years of law school than I ever did in college (and I attended FSU). It was ridiculous - more parties and organized much better. Granted, I attend a pretty expensive private school, but considering our workloads, it is amazing.

I don't think I have seen more than a handful of pocket squares here, but someone did break out the Gordon Gecko look a couple of weeks ago. White collar and cuffs, blue shirt, braces, red tie - he pulled it off quite well.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i would skip the jacket and the pocket square. it's a very casual event, and i don't want to be that guy.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
gosh josepidal - are you trying to beat some thread-starting record or what?

no offense but could you please stop starting such useless insecure ego-centered threads? or maybe at least limit them to 1 a week?
spam[1].gif
musicboohoo[1].gif

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Context is everything. I think a blazer and pocket square is perfectly fine at an upscale lounge that serves $10 fruity martinis, but a bit over the top at a dive bar (which this sounded like). And yes, a beat-up Schott leather jacket would serve you much better at the latter.

Keep on keepin' on, jose. I am looking forward to the next installment of the Boston Bar Report.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I don't see it as a problem.

The fact that you are a foreign student works to your benefit, because you're expected to be a little "different" and not just the typical American.

Why not make dressing well your signature style? That and the fact that you are from another country should create a great deal of interest from the women you meet.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Less thinkin, More DRINKIN

K

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would strongly urge you to not wear a pocket square. People are already paying an inordinate amount of attention to how you dress, how you speak, and how you write. Anything that draws additional attention is to be discouraged. Instead, I would suggest you concentrate on identifying what the popular students wear and try to copy the colors, styles, and fit as precisely as possible. Of course, this extends to making sure that you know the clubs and bars in which they hang out, the drinks they order, and the food selections they make. At all costs, seek to avoid individuality; it will only bring derision.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by marc237
I would strongly urge you to not wear a pocket square. People are already paying an inordinate amount of attention to how you dress, how you speak, and how you write. Anything that draws additional attention is to be discouraged. Instead, I would suggest you concentrate on identifying what the popular students wear and try to copy the colors, styles, and fit as precisely as possible. Of course, this extends to making sure that you know the clubs and bars in which they hang out, the drinks they order, and the food selections they make. At all costs, seek to avoid individuality; it will only bring derision.

Lol. Yes jose, as instructed, you are not to do anything that will exhibit individuality or personality, otherwise you will meet your ultimate demise. By ordering the same food, alcohol, and wearing the same precise dress, you will make all Bostonians forget that you are not a tall, white guy from East Coast old money. Proper sartorial strategy will help you assimilate, and everyone will forget that you are a foreign grad law student from a "tropical country."

If you do decide to go the disastrous route, there will be helpful people in this forum offering the validation you seek.

And don't stand too close to the cocktail sauce!

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Lol. Yes jose, as instructed, you are not to do anything that will exhibit individuality or personality, otherwise you will meet your ultimate demise. By ordering the same food, alcohol, and wearing the same precise dress, you will make all Bostonians forget that you are not a tall, white guy from East Coast old money. Proper sartorial strategy will help you assimilate, and everyone will forget that you are a foreign grad law student from a "tropical country."

If you do decide to go the disastrous route, there will be helpful people in this forum offering the validation you seek.

And don't stand too close to the cocktail sauce!

crackup[1].gif
This is too much!!

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
Context is everything. I think a blazer and pocket square is perfectly fine at an upscale lounge that serves $10 fruity martinis, but a bit over the top at a dive bar (which this sounded like). :\\
I was actually shocked by the prices. It definitely wasn't a dive, and martinis cost a bit more than $10. Everyone was dressed up in varying degrees.

This thread makes me wonder how to do the Amjack look then without looking Amjack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads