• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you tell the difference between staright razor shave vs stick razor shave?

Aiwass

Reaction score
ive never shaved with a staright razor before, but can you tell the difference between the staright razor and the normal stick razor?

DV1885_b.jpg

ist2_379957_disposable_razors.jpg

Reaction score
I've never used a straight razor, but I have used a Mach 3, Sensor, and a DE safety razor.

The DE safety razor is the best. No irritation, razor burn, razor bumps, etc.

Ironically though, the razor is probably one of the least important parts of a shave.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't know what a stick razor is, but I believe those are disposable or cartridge razors. A straight razor is the ultimate in shaving and the lack of a guard on the blade contributes to that--a DE has that limitation. Here is a posting I did on straight razors: http://supertalk.superfuture.com/showthread.php?t=23302

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My hairdresser is from Germany. She learned how to use a straight razor during her barber training. For special occasions, I always have Rosemarie do a straight razor shave. The difference is palpable. Much, much smoother. Longer lasting. Altogether different experience. Takes quite a while, though. Between the hot towels, and the with the grain, then against the grain . . . you're talking an hour, at least. But it's worth it. btw: Rosemarie's strop, goes back to her days in Germany.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ivan Kipling
My hairdresser is from Germany. She learned how to use a straight razor during her barber training. For special occasions, I always have Rosemarie do a straight razor shave. The difference is palpable. Much, much smoother. Longer lasting. Altogether different experience. Takes quite a while, though. Between the hot towels, and the with the grain, then against the grain . . . you're talking an hour, at least. But it's worth it. btw: Rosemarie's strop, goes back to her days in Germany.
German barbers are now forbidden from using straight razors, or any razors for that matter, even for cleaning up the edges. Strictly electrical only
mad.gif

I've found DE to be a nice alternative to a straight razor. On days when I'm short on time, I can still get a viable shave in five minutes or less, without too much blood loss.

Tom

MCsommerreid

Reaction score
I always use a straight razor for special occasions or when I know I'll have time to keep from slicing my throat. Any other time it's a 1940's SuperSpeed and Feather blades. Outstanding shaves, those.

oDD_LotS

Reaction score
I really enjoy a straight razor shave. I find that the difference is certainly there (when compared to a regular disposable), and the ritual aspect is absolutely wonderful.

That being said, in the interest of time in the mornings I've been using a Fusion Power lately, and I'm mostly satisfied with it.

alsback

Reaction score
When my barber uses a straight razor to line up my sideburns, you can definitely tell that it is a lot closer and smoother shave than a stick razor.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always heard that a straight razor can't be beat for a really first-rate shave. However, it does take a good deal of skill and technique to master, and there is an element of danger. A slip of the hand can do terrible damage.

What I cannot understand is the nostalgia for the DE safety razor in these fora. I shaved with the damned things for almost 28 years, and there is no way I would go back to using one after shaving first with the Gillette "Good News" disposable and now with the Mach 3.

phil47

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
...What I cannot understand is the nostalgia for the DE safety razor in these fora. I shaved with the damned things for almost 28 years, and there is no way I would go back to using one after shaving first with the Gillette "Good News" disposable and now with the Mach 3.
I think its a combination of better control, along with...well...nostalgia
smile.gif
. Once you have your technique down, I think a safety razor will beat a modern cartridge razor every time. But if you don't want to mess with shaving angle and pressure, a modern pivot razor can give a very, very good shave. Frankly, I think the shaving cream is more important: using a decent lather cream or soap with a shaving brush will beat the living snot out of the pressurized goo that comes out of a can these days.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always heard that a straight razor can't be beat for a really first-rate shave. However, it does take a good deal of skill and technique to master, and there is an element of danger. A slip of the hand can do terrible damage.

You've heard correctly about the benefits..

I've been shaving with a straight razor for 3 years now, and I'll never switch back. Straight razors literally allow you to shave follicle by follicle. Whereas with a conventional razor, I need to go every day, with my straight, I go 2 and 3 days between shaves. I'm not the most hirsute guy, but it can get rough, thick and itchy with me.

As far as the element of danger, it's overstated and misunderstood. I suffer the occasional scratch, but it's basically finer than a papercut, and heals very quickly if you know what you're doing (rinse with cold water, NOT hot.) A dull safety razor or Mach 3 can do far more damage: while a straight razor will give you a hair-thin slice, a conventional, 'modern' razor, when it cuts, can actually remove divots. I remember those with a wince.

Also, if you maintain a straight razor properly, it's far more hygienic and economical. A dirty 'stick' razor is a great harbor for bacteria, which will in turn lead to blackheads, clogged pores and breakouts.

Those Mach 3s et. al. are like crack--once you're stuck on them, you always need a new fix. I prefer not being forced into being a customer for life, personally.

The real difficulty in learning to use a straight blade is the maintenance--especially the stropping and sharpening techniques. I don't hone my own blades, but stropping must be learned by the practitioner, and that can take several weeks or longer.

If you're really curious, there's on online forum, I forget what it's called. Those people are helpful, and they are always offering older razors for cheap to newbies who are interested in learning.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What I cannot understand is the nostalgia for the DE safety razor in these fora. I shaved with the damned things for almost 28 years, and there is no way I would go back to using one after shaving first with the Gillette "Good News" disposable and now with the Mach 3.

I get ingrown hairs from anything other than a single bladed razor. I have no inclination to master a straight razor, and I got tired of buying single bladed disposables. Thus, I use a DE safety razor. I agree that a Gillette Sensor or Mach 3 provides a more comfortable shave, but I'd rather deal with a little discomfort than have ugly red bumps all along my jawline.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Straights are the best, but the upkeep is a pain **********. I find DEs to be the best overall.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sartorian
You've heard correctly about the benefits..

I've been shaving with a straight razor for 3 years now, and I'll never switch back. Straight razors literally allow you to shave follicle by follicle. Whereas with a conventional razor, I need to go every day, with my straight, I go 2 and 3 days between shaves. I'm not the most hirsute guy, but it can get rough, thick and itchy with me.

As far as the element of danger, it's overstated and misunderstood. I suffer the occasional scratch, but it's basically finer than a papercut, and heals very quickly if you know what you're doing (rinse with cold water, NOT hot.) A dull safety razor or Mach 3 can do far more damage: while a straight razor will give you a hair-thin slice, a conventional, 'modern' razor, when it cuts, can actually remove divots. I remember those with a wince.

Also, if you maintain a straight razor properly, it's far more hygienic and economical. A dirty 'stick' razor is a great harbor for bacteria, which will in turn lead to blackheads, clogged pores and breakouts.

Those Mach 3s et. al. are like crack--once you're stuck on them, you always need a new fix. I prefer not being forced into being a customer for life, personally.

The real difficulty in learning to use a straight blade is the maintenance--especially the stropping and sharpening techniques. I don't hone my own blades, but stropping must be learned by the practitioner, and that can take several weeks or longer.

If you're really curious, there's on online forum, I forget what it's called. Those people are helpful, and they are always offering older razors for cheap to newbies who are interested in learning.

www.straightrazorplace.com
www.badgerandblade.com

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads