Can you tell me about this shoe?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jjgold, May 28, 2006.

1. jjgold

jjgold Senior member

I have C&J's catalogue and I don't see these in them. Anyone know about them? What should they sell for?

THanks

2. jjgold

jjgold Senior member

3. medwards

medwards Senior member Dubiously Honored

It looks to be the Draycott. If so, the US retail price has been $475.

4. Roger

Roger Senior member

Well, this is an interesting puzzle, isn't it! Unlike the Draycott, which is made on the 317 last, does not have a storm welt, has a single-sole, and appears to come only in fitting G, this shoe is made on the 325 last, does have a storm welt, has a double sole, and comes in fitting E. No shoe by this name "Bruar" appears in the current C&J catalog. In many ways, this "Bruar" model is closer to the Lanark, which is shown as being made on the 325 last, is storm-welted, has a double sole, and comes in fitting E. The Lanark, however, is a plain-toe derby. No current leather-sole derby with either single or double sole appears to be available (at least in the print catalog) in the Scotch country grain leather, although several rubber-sole models are. This must be an earlier shoe that C&J have moved away from in their current offerings.

I must say I quite like this shoe. It's a nice combination of last, welt feature, sole type, and, particularly, leather. It looks like a very solid, durable shoe with nice styling and appearance for its type. JJgold, if you need such a shoe and can get it for under $250, it would, in my opinion, be a very good deal and even at $300 still a good deal. Sue Redgrift of Sausages234 is a thoroughly reliable eBay supplier of English shoes who has shod a number of SFers.

5. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

I completely agree with Roger's fine assessment of both the shoe and the seller.

6. medwards

medwards Senior member Dubiously Honored

I do as well!!!!