1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

can you tell a suit's qaulity by just looking?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ccvle, Dec 16, 2009.

1. JPHardy

JPHardy Senior member

I'm back from my "logic" class, and I am now even more confused.

I probably should have taken the class in English not Danish.

Bromer, I trust you judgement..please clarify this.

If people are intellectually dishonest, do I keep posting or stop posting?

Thank you.

2. B|aze

B|aze Senior member

so we can conclude then...
    the best way to spot a non-cheap suit is to look at the pricetag

3. zalb916

zalb916 Senior member

I'm intellectually dishonest, and I've kept posting.

I've been intellectually dishonest in Current Events. It's much more difficult to get away with here.

4. heli0x

heli0x Senior member

[​IMG]

Cool facepalm, i think this thread deserves another

[​IMG]

5. Pezzaturra

Pezzaturra Senior member

Yes, and the label will usually indicate the "blend." My H&M suit is a wool blend from a no-name fabric manufacturer.

I was talking about 100% wool.

My H&M suits are 100% wool 110S, 120S and tags state which Italian mill their fabrics are from.

6. DavidinGray

DavidinGray Well-Known Member

The mark of a truly cheap suit is in how it is worn.

DIG

7. apropos

apropos Senior member

The correct answer is: depends on the person's post count, and whether he is vox.

8. furo

furo Senior member

I think this thread was doomed from the start simply by realizing the misspelling in the title.

9. Toorman

Toorman Senior member

I find fit forms my first impression of a suit. A well fitted suit will strike me as being of higher quality even if it is composed/constructed modestly than an ill-fitting suit composed/constructed to the highest standard.

Whether their is pick stitching and if it's real or faux or attempting to discern the quality of the fabric is beyond the capacity of most people. (You need to find the link to the article that tested the wools in leading suits and found that most overstated the diameter of the wool i.e. a super 130's label in the suit testing as a super 110 in the lab.) Frankly, I think I just assume if someone knows enough to purchase and alter a suit to achieve proper fit they probably know what constitutes a quality suit and purchase accordingly.

10. cwh812

cwh812 Senior member

I find fit forms my first impression of a suit. A well fitted suit will strike me as being of higher quality even if it is composed/constructed modestly than an ill-fitting suit composed/constructed to the highest standard.

Whether their is pick stitching and if it's real or faux or attempting to discern the quality of the fabric is beyond the capacity of most people. (You need to find the link to the article that tested the wools in leading suits and found that most overstated the diameter of the wool i.e. a super 130's label in the suit testing as a super 110 in the lab.) Frankly, I think I just assume if someone knows enough to purchase and alter a suit to achieve proper fit they probably know what constitutes a quality suit and purchase accordingly.

Not necessarily true. I've seen people (on two occassions) at my tailor getting $200+ alterations on suits where I bet the cost of the alterations were more than 50% the cost of the suit - since the suits were brand new I saw the tags on the suits.

11. FStyles

FStyles Senior member

Damn guys you scared him away. I've had so much fun reading this, please come back Viking.

Maybe this will help :

[​IMG]

(thx to furo and co for starting the [​IMG] ---its fun) [​IMG]

12. FStyles

FStyles Senior member

But seriously viking, you're wound tighter than a 12yo school girl in the confessional before confirmation.

chillax and as bromer said--do some reading/ research before spouting off "fact" after "fact"