• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

can you tailor a suit down two sizes?

Reaction score
hi all

A friend just asked me on IM whether or not he can have a tailor 'chop down' the size of a couple of suits he has just been given by a relative.

Apparently his uncle died, and his aunt was doing the cleanup and said "here take my husbands tailor-made suits." He tells me that they are extremely nice, but a size 46 and he is a 42. He asked me whether a tailor could chop these down to size....

I would imagine the short answer is 'yup', but would worry that pulling these apart and resewing them may damage the quality of the original tailoring, and more, those suits with patterns would never quite line up the way they used to when dissected and recut to this degree.

thoughts on this? what process is involved to get a suit down to size to this extent? is it worth doing at all?

Matt

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i suggest he find a relative who is a size 46 and give the suits to him.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it can't be done. he can't wear them. he needs to give them away or sell them.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The answer is NO to your original question.

Or he could lift weight and bulk up.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thoughts on this? what process is involved to get a suit down to size to this extent? is it worth doing at all?
It is a very bad idea. It'll probably be cheaper to buy a suit on discount and get that tailored rather than this. No.

-One other thing. I assume that your buddy has actually tried on the jackets and figured out that they're too big. On the decent chance that he didn't and simply looked at the tag, he should try them on and see if the shoulders/upper chest and jacket body length fit without need for alteration. It's possible in this case (on the order of 1%, I'll guess) that the tag number might be meaningless. But 4 inches is a lot to remove. I wear a 44L in a number of brands, 44R in some others, 43L in others, and for one brand, fitted best in a 42L.

Reaction score
thanks for that...he has tried them on and says that the length doesnt bother him, but it feels too big "around" - which would be logical given the four inch difference in chest measurement.

i think he of the opinion that these suits are kinda a free shot at high grade fabric that can be unstitched, cut to like 85% of current size, and reassembled...trying to tell him that wool is not like a piece of chipboard from Home Depot, and i think he starting to understand that its not worth the hassle, and the resulting "reassemble" will be something he wouldnt want to wear anyhow....

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Maybe you should suggest that he either find a good resale store or sell them on Ebay so that he can make enough to buy a very high quality suit in his size.

Bradford

P.S. What about the pants - are they even close to his size? That could be almost as big a problem as the jacket.

Reaction score
i did suggest reselling them, but he thought his aunt would be offended.

focused mostly on the jacket, but point taken....

no matter which way you slice it, its untenable, and thats wat i told him

MPS

Reaction score
They CAN be re-cut (I've seen it done), but it's a big job and it would only be worth it if they're Savile Row or equivalent.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two years ago, my tailor took a Canali jacket that was a size 56 EU (44/46 US) down to my size, a 40. He only charged me $40 for that alteration, plus shortening the sleeves, but probably just because he is a nice guy and I was a kid. This was also with a solid color jacket, with a fine birdseye pattern. Probably wouldn't be possible with a stripe or windowpane.

However, since these are full suits, it would be very expensive to alter the pants as well, since the tailor would not only need to re-cut the waist, but re-cut the entire legs in order to reduce their bagginess. In the end, it's probably not worth it.

ssc4ever

Reaction score
The answer is yes, if you have an experienced tailor and he is willing to take the time to do it for you. I had two or three Oxxfords that were a size 42R that I brought to my tailor because I fell ill and needed them recut to a size 36R. They came out great and he charged me $140 per jacket. Well worth it!

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The answer is yes, if you have an experienced tailor and he is willing to take the time to do it for you. I had two or three Oxxfords that were a size 42R that I brought to my tailor because I fell ill and needed them recut to a size 36R. They came out great and he charged me $140 per jacket. Well worth it!
You'd have to back that kind of claim up with pictures.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite Shorts Length

• Above the knee

• Knee length

• Below the knee

• None of the above

• Mid-thigh ("short shorts")

Results are only viewable after voting.