• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you stretch a shirt collar?

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I searched and some said yes and most said
no.

Couldn't I get the shirt wet and pull? One of my nicest dress shirt collars is really tight on my neck or maybe my neck got fatter. I don't know.

Thoughts please?

Cheers

Archivist

Reaction score
Not really.

See about shifting the button over a bit, and shanking it out when it's sewn on.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
there's a reason why collars are made to 1/2 inch increments

ALFAMALE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
facepalm.gif

bsarosi

Reaction score
You can always try one of those collar extenders. I think it gives you an extra half inch. The button may not match your shirt buttons, but with a tie no one will see it.

johnvw

Reaction score
I am currently having this same issue, so I am interested in thoughts on this, as well. Probably the collar cannot be stretched. As mentioned, moving the collar button closer to the outside edge of the collar and using a collar extender looped onto the collar button are possible solutions for existing shirts. If having shirts made is feasible for the OP, the collar measurement should be increased.

Archivist

Reaction score
Collar extenders are pretty hideous. Instead of a tiespace you have a gap.

If the collar is not too small, you can simply not button the top button, and snug up your tie. If the collar is too small, there is going to be too much tiespace no matter what you do. At that point, charity shop, polishing rag, or store it until your neck gets smaller again.

Freddy Vandecasteele

Reaction score
Originally Posted by k4lnamja
no.

Couldn't I get the shirt wet and pull? One of my nicest dress shirt collars is really tight on my neck or maybe my neck got fatter. I don't know.

Thoughts please?

Cheers

It is hard to give you an answer that will cover every situation.
Fused collar are not that easy
but usually humidifing and stretching while pressing you can strech max 1/4 inch.
But next time it come back from the cleaner you will have then same problem.
Next shirts go for a bigger size.
Freddy Vandecasteele

Mr. Lee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by k4lnamja
no.

Thoughts please?

Cheers

No, but you can buy those corny button extenders, with a button and a loop that will give you about
3/8". You will have a time covering it with a wide enough knot and it still will look like your collar is unbuttoned, however.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Archivist
Not really.

See about shifting the button over a bit, and shanking it out when it's sewn on.

I thought about this but if I moved the button over wouldn't this make the top of the shirt uneven when buttoned?

If the collar is not too small, you can simply not button the top button, and snug up your tie. If the collar is too small, there is going to be too much tiespace no matter what you do. At that point, charity shop, polishing rag, or store it until your neck gets smaller again.

Yes, extenders do look funky. I've never thought about not buttoning the top button. I think it's a great idea but I wonder if I would have to constantly re-adjust my knot.

Originally Posted by Freddy Vandecasteele
It is hard to give you an answer that will cover every situation.
Fused collar are not that easy
but usually humidifing and stretching while pressing you can strech max 1/4 inch.
But next time it come back from the cleaner you will have then same problem.
Next shirts go for a bigger size.
Freddy Vandecasteele

I might try this. Thanks for the advice. I can button the top button and it doesn't suffocate me or anything like that. However, it creates enough pressure that it leaves red marks on my neck. Maybe I'm gaining weight?
ffffuuuu.gif

Originally Posted by SilvioDante
Might have to pony up and buy a new shirt.

Yes, I could but I'm going to B-school next year so I'm trying to save as much as possible
smile.gif

Thank you everyone. I greatly appreciate the feedback.

Cheers

Matt S

Reaction score

Collar extenders are still better than just leaving the top open. At least the collar extender will keep the collar in place throughout the day.

I find that when I put on a tight collar in the morning, it feels loser by the end of the day. I don't know if the collar actually gets looser or I just get more used to it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads