• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you still have fun if you're straight X edge?

Patrician

Reaction score
No alcohol, no drugs, no tobacco and no sex? Fun? Yeah, sounds like real fun to me. Not only would I have to stop doing these things but also dress like a marsupial? Oh I do say, the world is indeed turning into a better place, no?
musicboohoo[1].gif

I'm gonna get a drink. In my bar. Right now.

JSC437

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patrician
No alcohol, no drugs, no tobacco and no sex? Fun? Yeah, sounds like real fun to me. Not only would I have to stop doing these things but also dress like a marsupial? Oh I do say, the world is indeed turning into a better place, no?
musicboohoo[1].gif

I'm gonna get a drink. In my bar. Right now.

Actually.... I always considered it to be no unloving sex... Rather than no sex at all. So I guess I fuc#ed up. Too much Minor Threat i guess.

I was the vegan sXe for many years when i was a kid. Maybe 16-22 years old. What made it enjoyable was being part of a social scene and going to all the shows and that type of thing. The social aspects and the music kind of offset the drugs, alcohol, etc...

But once I was 22 and had my first beer and cig and some grass (didnt inhale) then the entire sXe thing was over with. I even went and had an In N Out cheeseburger.

I think sXe is good for the teen angst time period in life... but it gets old quickly as you mature into adult hood.

I have a co-worker ( a hot blonde) who is a vegan sXe and she is 26 years old. I have conversations with her, etc... but i think she is nuts for still embracing that ideology. To me, it is kind of childish.

Sometimes i listen to that old music... the Gorilla Biscuits, Minor Threat, Youth of Today or whatever... and i laugh my a$$ off. So much angst and anger

JSC437

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by warlok1965
I loved SE bands and several of my friends drew Xs on their hands in the 80s, but I always allowed myself permission to party occasionally and never shaved my head or any of that shite. What really made me think "this is ******* lame" is when all the SE skins jumped on the hare krishna bandwagon. Jeez.

Yah... i remember when my friends started talking about the band Shelter... so i went out a purchased the first Shelter record i could find. I got home.. put the record on my record player and it was just a bunch of guys singing "hare krishna, hare krishna, krishna krishna hare hare"... i was sooooo mad that i had used my allowance money to buy that. I was expecting hardcore... and i got chanting.

I did shave my head... and put the X's on my hand and wore canvas sneakers (leather is murder... at that time anyway) and did all the other aspects that were part of the mindless pack behavior.

Luddite

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JSC4President
...had my first beer and cig and some grass (didnt inhale) then the entire sXe thing was over with. I even went and had an In N Out cheeseburger...it gets old quickly as you mature into adult hood... I.i think she is nuts for still embracing that ideology. To me, it is kind of childish... and i laugh my a$$ off.

Weak.

Some of my very good friends are Edge breakers. I can deal with the fact that, over the years, most of the kids I've chilled with have sold right out. Most people who I knew who were Edge when I first started going to hardcore shows now, aren't now. And, while I often think they've made the wrong choice, because a lot of them are visibly being fucked up by drug use now, it's their life, and they're still my friends.

But, there's nothing necessarily immature about rejecting drug and alcohol use. Hardcore punk isn't teen angst. If that's all it was to you, then you were just one of the no heart, no soul kids that half the bands in hardcore call out and mock. More than that, Straight Edge isn't a maturity thing. It's not mature to start making the same mistakes as your parents. I have vegan Edge friends and acquaintances with families, kids, and careers. I can't keep a relationship, but, ****, I'm a lawyer, and I'm still Straight Edge. When I go to a show now, I feel a bit like a grandad, but I still hold the same beliefs and hold true to my commitments.

If you're Edge for good, well thought out reasons, maturity will only deepen that.

I'd rather spend Friday night hanging with the boys with tattoos all over talking **** and drinking Cola than at an indie geek bar with a bunch of "mature" kids who talk **** about my lifestyle whenever I'm not in the room. I have no time for holier than thou bullshit.

If you were vegan Straight Edge because it was what the group did, I'm glad you broke. I don't want this to be big because it's cool; I want it to be meaningful. I'm vegan because it is a healthy, ethical, and ecologically sensible lifestyle. I'm Edge because I don't want to be intoxicated and I don't see the point of drugs or alcohol.

About the only sensible thing you said was that Edge never meant no sex.

Patrician

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Luddite
Weak.

Some of my very good friends are Edge breakers. I can deal with the fact that, over the years, most of the kids I've chilled with have sold right out. Most people who I knew who were Edge when I first started going to hardcore shows now, aren't now. And, while I often think they've made the wrong choice, because a lot of them are visibly being fucked up by drug use now, it's their life, and they're still my friends.

But, there's nothing necessarily immature about rejecting drug and alcohol use. Hardcore punk isn't teen angst. If that's all it was to you, then you were just one of the no heart, no soul kids that half the bands in hardcore call out and mock. More than that, Straight Edge isn't a maturity thing. It's not mature to start making the same mistakes as your parents. I have vegan Edge friends and acquaintances with families, kids, and careers. I can't keep a relationship, but, ****, I'm a lawyer, and I'm still Straight Edge. When I go to a show now, I feel a bit like a grandad, but I still hold the same beliefs and hold true to my commitments.

If you're Edge for good, well thought out reasons, maturity will only deepen that.

I'd rather spend Friday night hanging with the boys with tattoos all over talking **** and drinking Cola than at an indie geek bar with a bunch of "mature" kids who talk **** about my lifestyle whenever I'm not in the room. I have no time for holier than thou bullshit.

If you were vegan Straight Edge because it was what the group did, I'm glad you broke. I don't want this to be big because it's cool; I want it to be meaningful. I'm vegan because it is a healthy, ethical, and ecologically sensible lifestyle. I'm Edge because I don't want to be intoxicated and I don't see the point of drugs or alcohol.

About the only sensible thing you said was that Edge never meant no sex.

Yeah riiiiiiiiight.
rimshot.gif

syracuse1976

Reaction score
Fun and Straight Edge= tall order.

Anger, bitterness and disenchantment aren't nice party favors.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Old Timer alert:

You can be SxE and have fun at end of March in SoCal

Former great hardcore bands from late 80s are reforming to do this one show:

No For An Answer
Chorus of Disapproval
Head First
Amenity

should be great, and hope to see some familiar faces I havent seen in like 20 years

shellshock

Forum Mascot
Reaction score
Originally Posted by constant struggle
This band Ceremony from california covered this song with Davie Havok of AFI, there is a Youtube video somewhere, it is actually pretty cool... Ceremony is legit, and it is nice to see Davie Havok still going to local hardcore shows... If someone could find the video and post it, you should, I am at work so no youtube.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.
first show i'd been to in quite awhile happened to be that show. :p

warlok1965

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mauro
^^^WTF

I was straight edge from 85 to 96 . some of my fondest memories were of that time.

^ Somehow I have a hard time imagining you as SxE.
lol8[1].gif

65166756pr1.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads