• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

can you recommend any good face products

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A line of things perhaps. I have some bumps on my forehead that isn't acne but i think it's from sweat. Ever get that? Stuff you can get from nordstroms, neiman marcus, w/e. Something like clinique and stuff. I don't need anything for shaving but rather to kep a fresh skin tone. So if you could recommend something and mention what it includes, that'd be great. Thanks.

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i tend to recommend "baxter of california" as a good basic men's only created line

i tend to also believe that from experience, no one line can really cover all your needs and that having products from different lines will suit your needs

www.menessentials.com is a men's only product site with products that are generally men's only lines and not products spun off from women's lines

in addition to baxter, look at product from menscience, brave soldier and urth

also, korres has some good men's products and unisex products as well that are worth looking into (www.korres.com)

you likely just need a facial wash, a scrub, a moisturizer and an under eye complex in addition to your shave product

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
Try a neutrogena toner/astringent (rub with cotton ball or disc). Clinique face scrub for men is good for the forehead bumps as long as your pores aren't too big (then the scrub particles can get inside the pores and cause acne). Also try a loofah or wash cloth on your forehead.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Biotherm for men or Shisheido for men. Both very good.

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll check these products out.

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it necessary to begin with a facial cleanser.. then a facial exfoliator followed by a facial toner and lastly a mosturizer? I was reading the men essentials site and it talks about how a mosturizer works better with a toner. I can't find out whether these products are all supposed to be used daily though.

egoiste

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cldpsu
Is it necessary to begin with a facial cleanser.. then a facial exfoliator followed by a facial toner and lastly a mosturizer? I was reading the men essentials site and it talks about how a mosturizer works better with a toner. I can't find out whether these products are all supposed to be used daily though.

It depends. If you are planning to shave, use a facial scrub prior to soften hair follicles and ease shaving.

If you are simply cleansing, you can either use a cleanser or a scrub (you don't have to use both). However, the scrub should be used based on your skin type. If you have problem skin (enlarged pores, oily, acne), use a scrub often (2-4x a week). Otherwise, use 1-2x a week. It's also important to note the type and quality of scrub you purchase can depend on how much you use a scrub. There are some facial scrubs that you can use daily because there is more cleansing in it than particles to scrub, while some scrubs are quite harsh and contain many particles. Also, while using a scrub, do not press hard and cleanse your skin (this can irritate your skin, make pores larger), but in soft and gentle circular motions.

As for the toner and/or astringent, it's basically optional. Some people like the feeling of using a toner because it gets rid of excess oil or other residue that might still be on your face after cleansing.

As for the product recommendations to maintain a healthy, radiant complexion for your skin, I would suggest a facial mask containing clay. Sulfur and kaolin are good ingredients in clay masks for those who have problem and combination, oily skin. I love DDF's Sulfur Acne Mask. Use 2-3x a week. For those with dry skin, use less. On the other hand, for those with normal to dry skin, using a clay mask to moisturize is a great way to 'revitalize' skin. Look for ingredients such as aloe vera and chamomile (soothes skin), various botanical extracts, various vitamins and so forth. This will leave your skin with a 'glow.' I purchase this type of mask at those discount stores (TJ Maxx, Marshalls) since I rarely use these, but if I do, I love Dead Sea Premier's Mud Mask. After using a mask, my face is 'refreshed' -- face is tighter, pores are smaller, oil has been absorbed and thus looks 'brighter.'

Secondly, I would recommend (not any brand in particular), but any product with AHAs (Alpha Hydroxy Acids) and or BHA (Beta Hydroxy Acid also known as salylic acid. These two acids basically exfoliate skin (better than facial scrubs as they penetrate underneath the first skin layer), thus presenting newer, fresher looking skin. You might be allergic or your skin might be irritated to it if you have sensitive skin though.

Some of my favorite products have been:
1) Biotherm Age Fitness SPF 15 -- very easy to spread on face
2) Shiseido Total Revitalizer -- moisturizes for a long time (product info says 24 hours) and is light and easy
3) DDF's Sulfur Acne Mask -- draws out all of my facial oil, makes my pores smaller, but most importantly, the pimples I had prior to using the mask are dramatically smaller and less red after using the mask (most evident the day after)
4) Proactiv's Sulfur Mask -- same as above
5) ROC Eye Correxion -- helps with lines under the eyes a lot
6) TN Dickinson's Witch Hazel -- for an astringent after cleansing, I add water to change the percentage of alcohol in the solution and to lessen the harshness
7) Biore Pore Strips (Nose) -- after using these strips and looking at the sebum (oil) that comes out of your pores sticking out of the strip, you will be so disgusted, yet happy
8) L'oreal Men Expert Power Buff Anti-Roughness Exfoliator -- contains Aluminum Oxide Crystals which are equal, rounded particles and also used in professional microdermabrasions

I hope this helps and isn't too much information!

itskub

Reaction score
wow lots of info...

dumb question- ive always have clean, non-oiley skin, is there any point to use such skin products?

egoiste

Reaction score
Originally Posted by itskub
wow lots of info...

dumb question- ive always have clean, non-oiley skin, is there any point to use such skin products?

Not a dumb question at all.

There are those lucky people out there with great genes who have amazing skin without practicing any skin care regimen (I know a few and am envious). However, in order to maintain this level of radiant skin, one must use at least basic skin care products (cleanse skin and moisturize), otherwise, your skin will eventually age and thus be prone to whatever effects (pollution, stress, sun damage, dirt, enlarged pores, oil). However, if you start using skin care products, you will see a difference in the look and feel of your skin.

I always suggest a basic skin care regimen as many men do not want to fuss with using tons of products (as one shouldn't unless you have problem skin or aging skin). So yes, use skin care products! It may be a hassle at first, but remember, one of the first things people notice about you is your face.

It sounds like you have normal skin, so purchase products based on your skin type (a basic cleanser, moisturizer and facial sunscreen).

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now I'm not an expert at skin care by any means, but I do know what has worked best for me.

Back when I had a problem with oily skin and sweat-induced bumps, I found the good ole bar of soap and wash cloth worked the best. Just scrub pretty well right before bed or a shower. Depending on your skin and the soap, you may want to use a good moisturizer afterwards.

On the other side, my sister is very priss-n-prim in regards to her skin, and she swears by the Neutrogena products, so I'd give them a shot.

xd400

Reaction score
www.aesop.net.au It's worked for me. The products are pretty popular here in Aust. They are very generous with giving out free sample packs with lots of products so i gave them a try and stick with them now. I think they are only based in Aust, Taiwan, France, Hong Kong and a few others though

Reaction score
it may not be in the upper echelon of mens face creams

but i have found that the 'hemp face cream' from the body shop is extremely effective in:

1) reducing dirt buildup on the face
2) reducing that greasy coat that people get when its got as **** and all the sweat has dried leaving just salt and dirt on your face
3) REDUCING BREAK OUT's

i kid you not guys, using a combination of this stuff and proactive i NEVER get acne anymore.

stylish

Reaction score
I've been a personal fan of Zirh's Clean and Defend for a long time. I used to have terrible acne (I mean the very definition of "pizza face"). I tried all kinds of crap, I was ripped off numerous times. Then by chance I found the men.style forums where people where talking about Zirh. I have been hooked on the stuff ever since. Did I mention I haven't washed my face for almost two days straight, and there's no spot in sight.

I don't work for Zirh btw, but I would highly recommend those two products. Also 250ml for £10 is extremely good value considering it can last up to 3 months.

Someone mentioned aesop. I've tried a shampoo 'tester' of them and I have to say it was near orgasmic (my head felt soo clean). It is a bit on the expensive side, but the price seems to fully justify quality there...

Whatever you do, make sure you stay with something for a prolonged period to make sure it is 'right' for you. You won't see improvements immediately, but with time and if you stick to something that truly 'works' for you, then you'll have amazing results in due future.
lol8[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Jl24

Reaction score
I like MenScience, but everyone's face is different. Unfortunately the only way to know for sure is to try out a bunch of different brands. Reading reviews will help you zone in on your preferred product. As someone mentioned before, go to menessentials.

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the true purpose of a toner is to restore the skin's pH level post any type of exfoliation so as to allow the moisturizer to absorb into the skin properly

but a lot of people only use it to wipe away excess oil from the skin

menscience is good
lots of aha and bha based products
they can be stripping though and seem to work best for oily skinned guys

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads