1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Can You Recommend A Cologne For The "Sophisticated" Man

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Hey Man, Apr 9, 2007.

1. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

ever tried sex panther?

No matter how good it smelled, I could never wear that with a straight face.

2. Joel_Cairo

Joel_Cairo Senior member

Mr Cairo sir, I have a quick question. I have been on a steady diet of Gucci Envy the past 15 months, and would like to try something similar, but with a more modern feel. I'm thinking of Dior Homme, since it's peppery and woodsy, but a little on the sweet side, giving a younger scent. What's your opinion?
    I'm a huge Dior Homme supporter. It didnt do well here in the states (as is evidenced by Nordstroms already phasing it off the shelves), but that's mostly because of its strange topnotes. Most Americans buy based on first impression alone, and DH's initial whiff must seem sharp and off-putting to the usual AmJack raised on Aqua di Gio. At first it is very powdery and smells (as many before me have said) like women's makeup. This note is Iris (which Hedi seemed to be in love with; it featured prominently in 2 of the 4 Men's frags released by Dior while he was at the helm). But very soon Dior Homme settles into this awesome rich leathery sun-baked kind of thing. I love it. It definatly shares Gucci Envy's dry warmth, but it smells aomehow more "organic" or "earthy. There's a "glossiness" to Gucci Envy, you know? Dior Homme, on the other hand, always makes me think of suede. I totally recommend going for it. It may be too sweet for a humid summer day, but at night, its awesome. As always, I suugest looking for it at Scentiments, where I recently paid about $35 for a 3.4 oz. Tester (which is the exact same as a normal retail unit, just w/o the box, as they are produced with the intention of sitting out on the counter in stores)

3. Fabro

Fabro Senior member

Where do you find Aramis Havana? It's been discontinued, but I always ask for it anyway and have never found it.

+1 on BdP. It's my favorite fragrance.

I got it on eBay about a year or so ago. I'm pretty sure that there are people on basenotes buying & selling that will decant (I'm not really set up to do it).

4. anthony

anthony Active Member

Armani Mania amazing shit and yes, the girls love it. I have had girls literally smelling me ALL night. Lacoste RED Style in Play another of my favorites. Clean and fresh, like a crisp wine. simple and clean and won't cost you an arm and a leg like most of the niche fragrances listed.

5. Fabro

Fabro Senior member

I got it on eBay about a year or so ago. I'm pretty sure that there are people on basenotes buying & selling that will decant (I'm not really set up to do it).

I just learned that basenotes is discontinuing decant sales on April 15.

6. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I've been wearing Bond No. 9 Chez Bond the entire day. I applied it at 9 AM, and I can still smell it on me. That EDP has some serious longevity. I really love this scent.

7. javyn

javyn Senior member

Old Spice
    Axe Clix
    Drakkar Noir

8. SWB

SWB Senior member

When I stumbled upon this thread last week, I wasn't at all in the market for a new cologne, but ended up ordering YSL Rive Gauche after reading Joel_Cairo's review. As an absolute amateur, I would like to further his recommendation; the "nonchalant well-groomedness" comment sums it up quite succinctly. This is the perfect covert scent; not at all weak, but just vague and unpretentious enough to blend nicely to any occasion. I really feel this could be worn anywhere, from class to dates to formal, as it is entirely unassuming yet unquestionably sophisticated. Clean, yet not remotely glossy or synthetic, and quite a bargain at $25/4.2oz.

9. Histrion

Histrion Senior member

I am starting to run out of cologne so I'm looking for a new one. I'm in Canada so I can't try out Bond, I'd have to order it online without trying it on which doesn't seem like a good option. Is there any way I can get a sample of Bond or Creed online?

Thanks!

10. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I am starting to run out of cologne so I'm looking for a new one. I'm in Canada so I can't try out Bond, I'd have to order it online without trying it on which doesn't seem like a good option. Is there any way I can get a sample of Bond or Creed online?

Thanks!

If you call the Saks Fifth Avenue at South Coast Plaza, I think they will send you samples even if you are in Canada. Ask for the Bond No 9 Department.

11. Histrion

Histrion Senior member

PM sent.

You saw my answer, right? [​IMG]

12. Dachink

Dachink Active Member

What's a good place to order YSL M7 Fresh in the US?

13. Joel_Cairo

Joel_Cairo Senior member

you won't find it in the USA. It's not carried here. The best thing to do is watch ebay or order from a UK-based online vendor.

Or, if you fly to Europe ever, stock up at Duty Free. I always buy like 4 bottles when I pass through there.

14. Dachink

Dachink Active Member

hardcore google time!

15. Hey Man

Hey Man Senior member

Well after testing some of the ones mentioned and recommended - I have finally come up with a list of ones that I want to buy. Now certainly these ones are not going to be as sophisticated as the cologne's that Joel and Drizzt3117 wear - and in fact they may be very common and boring to many of you, but for a cologne newbie like me, I think it's a pretty good start. What do you guys think:

Armani: Code
    Vera Wang For Men
    Dolce and Gabanna: Pour Homme
    Versace: The Dreamer
    Aramis: Life
    Baldeserrini
    Burberry London
    Dunhill (2003)

and yes - Cool Water.

I know that many of these will seem like the same - but I just love those tobacco cologne's. Looking forward to feedback.

16. MrEsquire

MrEsquire New Member

This is my first post. I just joined the forum after reading this thread.

I'm looking for a woodsy/spicy cologne. I'm not sure what to get. I'd like to have sophisticated smell that isn't overpowering like some of the citrus types and is sublte.

I was at Macys earlier smelling stuff but walked away confused over what to buy. Any thoughts.

17. willpower

willpower Senior member

This is my first post. I just joined the forum after reading this thread.

I'm looking for a woodsy/spicy cologne. I'm not sure what to get. I'd like to have sophisticated smell that isn't overpowering like some of the citrus types and is sublte.

I was at Macys earlier smelling stuff but walked away confused over what to buy. Any thoughts.

Pretty old thread you're bringing back to life. It really depends where you live and what stores are nearby in order to make recommendations. Per your description, Creed Bois Du Portugal fits the bill but good luck testing it unless you live near a Neimann Marcus.

18. rexthedestroyer

rexthedestroyer Senior member

I don't wear usually wear cologne, but on occassion I will dab some burberry.

19. Rainmaker0917

Rainmaker0917 New Member

I'm a fan of burberry myself. I've been using Burberry Classic for the last few years.

20. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan Senior member