• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

can you make money flipping clothes

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is my question - I am in the car alot, and always driving by good looking thrift stores. I have a decent eye and have always thought about buying up stuff and trying to sell it on ebay. I am not talking about finding the random high end dress shirt or vintage jeans, but more like stuff non-style forum people would buy (banana, j crew, nautica, tommy, polo)? Has anyone tried this?

Icarus

Reaction score
Try it and report back, I'm almost out of (crude) bath oil, sure could use the cash

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I am a believer in doing things right. When you say you're in the car a lot, do you have the time and headspace to go stop and these places and pick out clothes? will you have time to take measurements, pictures, make listings, answer questions, deal with buyers, shipping, returns, etc?
This isn't a hobby, it's a business. People DO make money doing this, so it can be done. The question is, are you willing to do what it takes to do with properly?

burningbright

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd say 5 or 10 years ago this would be a more feasible idea. However, ebay, as we all know, is not the seller's friend nor will it be. Over the years, sellers have watched their margins disappear while ebay piled on the fees and continues to do so.

If you are going to do clothing, stick to the higher end items. It just isn't fiscally prudent to waste all that time taking pictures and measurements for $25 items that you will only make $18-20 after ebay and paypal are done taking turns on you with the same strap-on.

It doesn't sound difficult, but preparing listings is actually quite labor-intensive and time-consuming. Sticking to higher end items will tie up larger sums of money, but will save time and productivity in the end.

Either that or stick to something that only requires one or two easy measurements and easy photographing, like ties, or waistcoats or something.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
No, but flipping homes in Pittsburgh is a gold mine.
smile.gif

Beetleything

Reaction score
You can make money flipping burgers or pancakes ....so i don't see why not.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try flipping the soiled panties of hot chicks or dudes to their respective followers.

Icarus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
Try flipping the soiled panties of hot chicks or dudes to their respective followers.

This is, "big in japan"

Seanallen

Reaction score
I used to work TjMaxx (highschool job lol). We usually get ten percent discounts but twenty on certain days. A few employees would stock up on Ed Hardy shirts when the arrived at the store and then sell them on E-bay and apparently they made some money from doing this.

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas

smile.gif

diiiicccckkkkkk
smile.gif

You people have a lonnnng memory

Originally Posted by Butter
I would recommend you keep your day job and do this as an extracurricular activity to earn extra cash.

well of course! it was just a thought, I have the capital to put up to get started, I am in the stores enough for my own purposes. There isnt always a lot of high end stuff (by any standards) in some of the places I go, but there is always a lot of the mid range stuff.

Originally Posted by burningbright
I'd say 5 or 10 years ago this would be a more feasible idea. However, ebay, as we all know, is not the seller's friend nor will it be. Over the years, sellers have watched their margins disappear while ebay piled on the fees and continues to do so.

If you are going to do clothing, stick to the higher end items. It just isn't fiscally prudent to waste all that time taking pictures and measurements for $25 items that you will only make $18-20 after ebay and paypal are done taking turns on you with the same strap-on.

It doesn't sound difficult, but preparing listings is actually quite labor-intensive and time-consuming. Sticking to higher end items will tie up larger sums of money, but will save time and productivity in the end.

Either that or stick to something that only requires one or two easy measurements and easy photographing, like ties, or waistcoats or something.

yeah - I think I may start taking an extra look and selling something really special here or there. I found a pair of selvage 501's yesterday which I may make $20 on and buy myself something on here. your right, you really have to commit to it.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do this but it isn't a sustainable business model. It's also not worth it to go into every salvation army and goodwill you drive by. There some place thrift stores that are attached to churches and private schools that sell outrageous stuff for cheap. I do it to make extra money...I'd never quit my day job doing it.

RR

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jgold47
diiiicccckkkkkk
smile.gif

You people have a lonnnng memory

Ha!

Actually I usually quickly forget who's who - I think I just must remember genuinely feeling for your plight.

cheers.gif

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Butter
I would recommend you keep your day job and do this as an extracurricular activity to earn extra cash.

Word

It can be done full time, but unless you really like working from home I don't recommend it.

Night Owl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas

smile.gif

unless they have those ****** ass gravel driveways, one step above a Haitian dirt driveway

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads