can you make money flipping clothes

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by jgold47, Oct 7, 2010.

1. jgold47

jgold47 Senior member

Here is my question - I am in the car alot, and always driving by good looking thrift stores. I have a decent eye and have always thought about buying up stuff and trying to sell it on ebay. I am not talking about finding the random high end dress shirt or vintage jeans, but more like stuff non-style forum people would buy (banana, j crew, nautica, tommy, polo)? Has anyone tried this?

2. Icarus

Icarus Senior member

Try it and report back, I'm almost out of (crude) bath oil, sure could use the cash

3. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

I am a believer in doing things right. When you say you're in the car a lot, do you have the time and headspace to go stop and these places and pick out clothes? will you have time to take measurements, pictures, make listings, answer questions, deal with buyers, shipping, returns, etc?
    This isn't a hobby, it's a business. People DO make money doing this, so it can be done. The question is, are you willing to do what it takes to do with properly?

4. burningbright

burningbright Senior member

I'd say 5 or 10 years ago this would be a more feasible idea. However, ebay, as we all know, is not the seller's friend nor will it be. Over the years, sellers have watched their margins disappear while ebay piled on the fees and continues to do so.

If you are going to do clothing, stick to the higher end items. It just isn't fiscally prudent to waste all that time taking pictures and measurements for $25 items that you will only make $18-20 after ebay and paypal are done taking turns on you with the same strap-on.

It doesn't sound difficult, but preparing listings is actually quite labor-intensive and time-consuming. Sticking to higher end items will tie up larger sums of money, but will save time and productivity in the end.

Either that or stick to something that only requires one or two easy measurements and easy photographing, like ties, or waistcoats or something.

5. Butter

Butter Senior member

I would recommend you keep your day job and do this as an extracurricular activity to earn extra cash.

6. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

No, but flipping homes in Pittsburgh is a gold mine. [​IMG]

7. Beetleything

Beetleything Senior member

You can make money flipping burgers or pancakes ....so i don't see why not.

8. suited

suited Senior member

Try flipping the soiled panties of hot chicks or dudes to their respective followers.

9. Icarus

Icarus Senior member

Try flipping the soiled panties of hot chicks or dudes to their respective followers.

This is, "big in japan"

10. Seanallen

Seanallen Senior member

I used to work TjMaxx (highschool job lol). We usually get ten percent discounts but twenty on certain days. A few employees would stock up on Ed Hardy shirts when the arrived at the store and then sell them on E-bay and apparently they made some money from doing this.

11. jgold47

jgold47 Senior member

No, but flipping homes in Pittsburgh is a gold mine.

[​IMG]

diiiicccckkkkkk [​IMG]

You people have a lonnnng memory

I would recommend you keep your day job and do this as an extracurricular activity to earn extra cash.

well of course! it was just a thought, I have the capital to put up to get started, I am in the stores enough for my own purposes. There isnt always a lot of high end stuff (by any standards) in some of the places I go, but there is always a lot of the mid range stuff.

I'd say 5 or 10 years ago this would be a more feasible idea. However, ebay, as we all know, is not the seller's friend nor will it be. Over the years, sellers have watched their margins disappear while ebay piled on the fees and continues to do so.

If you are going to do clothing, stick to the higher end items. It just isn't fiscally prudent to waste all that time taking pictures and measurements for $25 items that you will only make $18-20 after ebay and paypal are done taking turns on you with the same strap-on.

It doesn't sound difficult, but preparing listings is actually quite labor-intensive and time-consuming. Sticking to higher end items will tie up larger sums of money, but will save time and productivity in the end.

Either that or stick to something that only requires one or two easy measurements and easy photographing, like ties, or waistcoats or something.

yeah - I think I may start taking an extra look and selling something really special here or there. I found a pair of selvage 501's yesterday which I may make $20 on and buy myself something on here. your right, you really have to commit to it.

12. randallr

randallr Senior member

I do this but it isn't a sustainable business model. It's also not worth it to go into every salvation army and goodwill you drive by. There some place thrift stores that are attached to churches and private schools that sell outrageous stuff for cheap. I do it to make extra money...I'd never quit my day job doing it.

RR

13. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

diiiicccckkkkkk [​IMG]

You people have a lonnnng memory

Ha!

Actually I usually quickly forget who's who - I think I just must remember genuinely feeling for your plight.

[​IMG]

14. Hombre Secreto

Hombre Secreto Senior member

Word

It can be done full time, but unless you really like working from home I don't recommend it.

15. Night Owl

Night Owl Senior member

No, but flipping homes in Pittsburgh is a gold mine.

[​IMG]

unless they have those shitty ass gravel driveways, one step above a Haitian dirt driveway