• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. Passus shoes was founded by long term members of the forum and veterans of the shoes business. and is dedicated to crafting fine shoes in Budapest in a time honored tradition. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new affiliate vendor thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

can you make money flipping clothes

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 23, 2008
Messages
1,629
Reaction score
13
Here is my question - I am in the car alot, and always driving by good looking thrift stores. I have a decent eye and have always thought about buying up stuff and trying to sell it on ebay. I am not talking about finding the random high end dress shirt or vintage jeans, but more like stuff non-style forum people would buy (banana, j crew, nautica, tommy, polo)? Has anyone tried this?
 

Icarus

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 28, 2010
Messages
234
Reaction score
1
Try it and report back, I'm almost out of (crude) bath oil, sure could use the cash
 

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Joined
Jul 18, 2007
Messages
8,507
Reaction score
1,246
I am a believer in doing things right. When you say you're in the car a lot, do you have the time and headspace to go stop and these places and pick out clothes? will you have time to take measurements, pictures, make listings, answer questions, deal with buyers, shipping, returns, etc?
This isn't a hobby, it's a business. People DO make money doing this, so it can be done. The question is, are you willing to do what it takes to do with properly?
 

burningbright

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2010
Messages
1,586
Reaction score
180
I'd say 5 or 10 years ago this would be a more feasible idea. However, ebay, as we all know, is not the seller's friend nor will it be. Over the years, sellers have watched their margins disappear while ebay piled on the fees and continues to do so.

If you are going to do clothing, stick to the higher end items. It just isn't fiscally prudent to waste all that time taking pictures and measurements for $25 items that you will only make $18-20 after ebay and paypal are done taking turns on you with the same strap-on.

It doesn't sound difficult, but preparing listings is actually quite labor-intensive and time-consuming. Sticking to higher end items will tie up larger sums of money, but will save time and productivity in the end.

Either that or stick to something that only requires one or two easy measurements and easy photographing, like ties, or waistcoats or something.
 

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Joined
Aug 17, 2007
Messages
14,657
Reaction score
2,298
No, but flipping homes in Pittsburgh is a gold mine.
 

Beetleything

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2009
Messages
466
Reaction score
2
You can make money flipping burgers or pancakes ....so i don't see why not.
 

suited

Distinguished Member
Joined
Aug 18, 2008
Messages
7,616
Reaction score
3,466
Try flipping the soiled panties of hot chicks or dudes to their respective followers.
 

Icarus

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 28, 2010
Messages
234
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by suited
Try flipping the soiled panties of hot chicks or dudes to their respective followers.

This is, "big in japan"
 

Seanallen

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2008
Messages
395
Reaction score
7
I used to work TjMaxx (highschool job lol). We usually get ten percent discounts but twenty on certain days. A few employees would stock up on Ed Hardy shirts when the arrived at the store and then sell them on E-bay and apparently they made some money from doing this.
 

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 23, 2008
Messages
1,629
Reaction score
13
Originally Posted by Douglas
No, but flipping homes in Pittsburgh is a gold mine.



diiiicccckkkkkk


You people have a lonnnng memory

Originally Posted by Butter
I would recommend you keep your day job and do this as an extracurricular activity to earn extra cash.

well of course! it was just a thought, I have the capital to put up to get started, I am in the stores enough for my own purposes. There isnt always a lot of high end stuff (by any standards) in some of the places I go, but there is always a lot of the mid range stuff.

Originally Posted by burningbright
I'd say 5 or 10 years ago this would be a more feasible idea. However, ebay, as we all know, is not the seller's friend nor will it be. Over the years, sellers have watched their margins disappear while ebay piled on the fees and continues to do so.

If you are going to do clothing, stick to the higher end items. It just isn't fiscally prudent to waste all that time taking pictures and measurements for $25 items that you will only make $18-20 after ebay and paypal are done taking turns on you with the same strap-on.

It doesn't sound difficult, but preparing listings is actually quite labor-intensive and time-consuming. Sticking to higher end items will tie up larger sums of money, but will save time and productivity in the end.

Either that or stick to something that only requires one or two easy measurements and easy photographing, like ties, or waistcoats or something.


yeah - I think I may start taking an extra look and selling something really special here or there. I found a pair of selvage 501's yesterday which I may make $20 on and buy myself something on here. your right, you really have to commit to it.
 

randallr

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 13, 2008
Messages
4,049
Reaction score
5
I do this but it isn't a sustainable business model. It's also not worth it to go into every salvation army and goodwill you drive by. There some place thrift stores that are attached to churches and private schools that sell outrageous stuff for cheap. I do it to make extra money...I'd never quit my day job doing it.

RR
 

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Joined
Aug 17, 2007
Messages
14,657
Reaction score
2,298
Originally Posted by jgold47
diiiicccckkkkkk


You people have a lonnnng memory


Ha!

Actually I usually quickly forget who's who - I think I just must remember genuinely feeling for your plight.

 

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2007
Messages
4,079
Reaction score
699
Originally Posted by Butter
I would recommend you keep your day job and do this as an extracurricular activity to earn extra cash.

Word

It can be done full time, but unless you really like working from home I don't recommend it.
 

Night Owl

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 7, 2008
Messages
776
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Douglas
No, but flipping homes in Pittsburgh is a gold mine.



unless they have those shitty ass gravel driveways, one step above a Haitian dirt driveway
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

  • I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

  • I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

  • I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

  • Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
438,523
Messages
9,451,117
Members
198,087
Latest member
Gosdaes90i
Top