• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you guys educate me on monk straps?

rainmaker

Reaction score
I used to really want them, then I started thinking they were only for the #menswear and men with a little more wear on their tread than me (and to be clear, I mean both in a positive way!).

But now I'm back to wanting them. Seriously thinking about picking up some AE Moras.

Thoughts/suggestions about colour / suitability of monk straps vis-a-vis workplace wear, age of the wearer, and so on?

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I get lots of compliments when I wear my burgundy Meermin double monks, for whatever it's worth. (I'm 25-30 fwiw.) I'd go with the Dark Chili Mora 2.0.

IChen

Reaction score
I think of Monkstraps as more of easier to look better smart-casual, harder to make it work workplace formal. I see it as more towards end of week and less formal needs. I don't see monkstraps as a young man's shoe, but it depends on your profession and needs of formality. They will always be below oxfords in terms of formality.

And I'd recommend brown or burgundy. Black just seems like a waste.

starro

Reaction score
Single or double monks? Single monks can be quite dressy: just below oxford, about equal with bluchers. Double monks, especially where the strap is very wide on the instep, is informal.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Early 30's, and I have the AE Warwicks in black. I used to absolutely love monks, but have lost some of that desire. I do occasionally see a beautiful example that makes me want to grab a double strap pair in walnut. They aren't as popular in America, but over in Europe they definitely have a following. They are about as formal as a nicer loafer - can be worn with suits but not with a tux or morning dress. They provide a very sleek profile and will most likely get you some compliments. Since they are closer to a slip on you need to be very careful fitting and may have a harder time making them work if you are hard to fit. The AE's have an elastic band holding the buckle on for freer movement, just FYI.

I agree with IChen that you should probably go with brown/walnut/burgundy over black. It provides an air of formality that might be hard to match with your clothes.

IChen

Reaction score
Maybe post about what you're looking for in terms of a shoe? Is it your 3rd shoe? 4th? 2nd?

It's easy to drool over a monk strap as they look lovely on. It's also very easy to look out of place especially at the work place, with a monk strap since most don't understand differences between single monk and double monk.

BigBadBernard

Reaction score
Tan single monks with cream trousers and a blue odd jacket are a classic look.

Double monks are strictly for the iGents.

rainmaker

Reaction score
Maybe post about what you're looking for in terms of a shoe? Is it your 3rd shoe? 4th? 2nd?

4th-ish

My shoe collection is a bit odd because of how I started out with "nicer shoes."
  1. I started out with a nice pair of brown-oxblood Ferragamo captoes (sadly, these were destroyed)
  2. I have a pair of black Cheaney half-brogues which are starting to show their age (it was a killer deal, but now I know black half-brogues are a bit of a contradiction of a shoe [edit: half-brogues, not wingtips])
  3. Next good pair were walnut Strands,
  4. And most recently, chili Park Avenues
And now figuring out the next shoe. I know that what I probably most reasonably need is a simple black oxford captoe, but I'd love to branch out...

Last edited:

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A monk could work, yoy could also look into a dress boot.

rainmaker

Reaction score
I hear you. I actually have a cheap pair of brown Johnston and Murphy penny loafers. I find that I never wear them...l

IChen

Reaction score
If you want to do smart casual and do a lot of sport coats and jeans, or something of the like, I think monk straps are a good choice. Branching out is fine if you're looking for shoes outside work place.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics