Can you get a sweater altered?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Metal Circus, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Metal Circus

Metal Circus Senior member

Well? The one in question is a thrift-store find, 95% cotton, 5% silk, and it's got this bizzarre triangular shape to it. Is it likely to be worth the cost? How competent of a tailor should I seek out?

2. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Yes you can. You can have many things about a sweater altered, though I'm not sure what the problem is that you're describing.

Whether it's worth it is up to you, how much money you have to throw around, and how cool the sweater is. A tailor usually won't do this - you need to find a reweaver/reknitter service.

3. Full Canvas

Full Canvas Senior member

Well? The one in question is a thrift-store find, 95% cotton, 5% silk, and it's got this bizzarre triangular shape to it. Is it likely to be worth the cost? How competent of a tailor should I seek out?

Talk to a good dry cleaners in your area. Generally, rather than alter a sweater, the process to reshape and or resize a sweater (or any other knit item) is known as "knit blocking". A skilled knit blocker can shrink or stretch specific areas of a knit item as well as the entire item. The cleaners will know what you mean.