• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Can you get a sweater altered?

Metal Circus

Reaction score
Well? The one in question is a thrift-store find, 95% cotton, 5% silk, and it's got this bizzarre triangular shape to it. Is it likely to be worth the cost? How competent of a tailor should I seek out?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yes you can. You can have many things about a sweater altered, though I'm not sure what the problem is that you're describing.

Whether it's worth it is up to you, how much money you have to throw around, and how cool the sweater is. A tailor usually won't do this - you need to find a reweaver/reknitter service.

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metal Circus
Well? The one in question is a thrift-store find, 95% cotton, 5% silk, and it's got this bizzarre triangular shape to it. Is it likely to be worth the cost? How competent of a tailor should I seek out?

Talk to a good dry cleaners in your area. Generally, rather than alter a sweater, the process to reshape and or resize a sweater (or any other knit item) is known as "knit blocking". A skilled knit blocker can shrink or stretch specific areas of a knit item as well as the entire item. The cleaners will know what you mean.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.