• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

can you fake a lapel tab?

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a tweed sport coat that I'd like to have shortened by about an inch... is it in any way possible for the tailor to take that extra fabric and McGyver up a tab like this? I know it won't be functional, but I mean purely for ornamental purposes....

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Reaction score
I'm sure it could be done if there is enough fabric to spare. If you put a flat button under the other lapel, it would be functional. BTW, they are usually up higher, in the lapel notch area, but it's your choice of course.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That picture isn't working for me, but I don't see why they couldn't fashion a tab...

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what im looking for is here, about 2/3s down the page on Feb 9th, just above Hamish Bowles in a crazy fur hat.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
what im looking for is here, about 2/3s down the page on Feb 9th, just above Hamish Bowles in a crazy fur hat.

Got it. As j said, having it in the gorge-notch is more traditional, but I see no reason such a thing couldn't be done, other than having to stitch it in a way that the stitching didn't show through the lapel...

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you wish to replicate the jacket in the photo I believe that you would have to replace the entire collar.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Actual link to the pic.

I have a Norman Hilton tweed with a tab that itself it attached by a button, which makes it removable. It also has two buttons on the interior of the jacket where the tab can be stored when not in use. Assuming you had enough fabric, or perhaps could use leather if not, you could simply have the buttons sewn under the lapel and button on your tab.

I'll try to post a picture of the Hilton tab later.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
If you wish to replicate the jacket in the photo I believe that you would have to replace the entire collar.

I can't imagine why that would be necessary...

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
I can't imagine why that would be necessary...

This is a one piece collar and tab.

This is a two piece collar and tab.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it was the two piece I was referring to, that first one would be pretty tricky to rig up using scraps!

Thanks everyone!

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
What is the point of the two-piece collar and tab? Does the tab not duplicate the vestigal role of the lapel buttonhole?

well the tweed jacket Im looking to alter doesn't have a lapel buttonhole, but I'd be lying if I said I had any real utilitarian need for it. I just like the look of the tab. I suspect that this is the case in the RL jacket shown, especially considering it has two buttonholes right next to eachother! Form over Function!

....unless the two buttonholes are meant to accomodate scarves of a wide range of heft?

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.