• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you dye nubuck?

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looked to see if there was a thread on this and didn't see one. I've got a pair of shoes I like, but one of them is getting worn and the color is uneven. I've cleaned it and that didn't fix it. has anybody dyed nubuck shoes? good idea? rotten? Advice?

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It would help to see photos of your shoes. In the interim, have a look at this thread: http://www.styleforum.net/t/220775/restoring-faded-suede-shoes
Though the discussion there deals with suede, it may prove useful. The nap of Nubuck is much finer and would have to be cleaned and teased back into position (raised) as much as possible before proceeding with a spray dye.
I have spray-dyed a few pair of brown nubuck here and the results were satisfactory and very similar to the results shown in the thread I have referred you to. I would recommend posting photos here so we can assess better what can or should be done for them.

Last edited:

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks MOL! i'll look at the thread closely.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

foodguy, not being snarky but it just sounds like its time to replace those shoes.

foodguy just wrote a column about how he saves parmesan rinds in the fridge to make broths. foodguy does not wantonly replace anything.
ETA seriousness: i've got really bad feet and am incredibly picky about my shoes. i will never make a shoe circle. i really need to wear eccos or sometimes rockports and the range of acceptable styles either of them makes is limited, so when i've got a great pair of eccos that don't look like orthopedic shoes (or only kind of do), that don't have the label emblazoned on the side, that are still functional and might be able to be repaired cosmetically, i'm afraid that's where i'm going.
i envy those of you with wonderful feet. and i hate you at the same time.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads