1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Can you dress to nice for every day wear?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by imanewbie, Jul 4, 2012.

1. imanewbie

imanewbie Senior member

So im hanging with some friends and they comment on how nice I dress. In response i tell them this is my everyday wear nothing special. What I usually wear is some trousers, button up shirt (leaving two buttons unbuttoned), sport jacket on occasion, with some casual pleather johnston murhpy shoes. Mind you not standard to SF folks, but for everyday regular wear.

My friends (majority of society also) wear a T shirt, jeans, and tennis shoes. they said what I wear is for folks at wall street and if I was button up the two buttons and add a tie im set.

Now do you guys what you wear casual such as trousers, button up shirt, and casual shoes consider it everyday wear or special occassions?

2. lovercase

lovercase New Member

Almost everyday i wear t-shirt,but in some special occasions,i will wear some specific clothes

3. aph999

aph999 Senior member

Forget what they think, keep your standards.

4. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

O yes, I do wear what you say pretty much everyday.

They will soon get used to it.

5. imanewbie

imanewbie Senior member

I agree they will get used to it, but is it too stylish for everyday society?

Not that we care what society thinks, but is it too much?

6. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

Button down collar shirt with two buttons undone? Not too much at all...
    If they say your clothes are for wall street folks, just tell them their shoes are for playing tennis.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  7. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

Pleather shoes? :censored:

8. GBR

GBR Senior member

Dress as you will, I prefer T-shirt, jeans or shorts for informal occasions but each to his own.

9. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member

You sound young. I remember some of my friends were really into baggy jeans, oversized t-shirts, etc. Most of them now are stuck in mediocrity. Not saying I'm Mr. Trump, but dress for success and it'll help.

10. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

The question to ask is why are all your friends dressed so casual/normal and you so abnormal?

Are you trying to impress somebody/something?

11. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

:fistbump:

12. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

I believe you care too much what people think of you. In fact they had never pay attention to you.

Just dress what you like, no one actually cares, only you cares..

13. SMatthews

SMatthews Well-Known Member

I'd wear a suit if I can every day!

14. aph999

aph999 Senior member

I can, and do, and love it!

15. mjjo

mjjo Active Member

You don't need to wear a suit eeryday just so you can dress nicely. As long as you're wearing an attire fit for the occasion and you feel good in them, that's what matters.

16. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

I generally wear a suit to work. When hanging around the city, jeans/shorts, polo/button up, and casual shoes (e.g., Alden LWB, Converse). However, if I was still living in Huntington Beach, CA (where I lived before moving to NYC), I'd probably be wearing a tee, board shorts, and flip flops when hanging out.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  17. randomhero88

randomhero88 Well-Known Member

Forgive me for being a contrarion to many of the threads on here, but I disagree to an extent.

I live in a city full of people without much ambission or care for their physical appearance. With that said, I get "You're a pretty boy aren't you?" quite a bit. That's even when I'm just wearing dress slacks and a golf shirt.

I always dress nicer than 99% of people in the bars/clubs in my town, but I definitely tone it down. I would dress completely different if I lived in a big city. You abviously don't want to go out looking like a slob, but if you're at a bar where there are people wearing cargo shorts and flip flops, you have the potential to come of pretentious.

Sometimes there's a time and a place to stand out and other times, it's not the worst thing in the world to be cleanly dressed, but toned down enough to enjoy the night.

18. deandbn

deandbn Senior member

Newbie, dont let those guys put you down. The clothing you talk of sounds quite normal to me. Tell those guys that it is time for them to respect what you like to wear just as you respect what they wear.

19. jones12

jones12 Well-Known Member

My everyday suits are for work, but for strolling around I like my sports coat or just a nice clean white or navy shirt and jeans.

20. antikantian

antikantian Senior member

My casual attire depends on where I am geographically. I'm originally from Manhattan, and typically my casual wear there consists of sport coat, shirt, ps, and usually a tie. Now, in North Carolina, the population of which consists mostly of young urban professionals, I wear pretty much the same thing minus the tie, and it doesn't really seem out of place.

It doesn't sound like you're over-dressing so much as your friends are just radically underdressed. This may sound odd, but I've never worn a non-collared shirt (t-shirt, etc) outside of high school gym class.