• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you alter shoulders in suit?

vigilantex69

Reaction score
I bought a very nice suit but it turns out the shoulders are a bit high. Kind of looks like I'm wearing shoulder pads. Everything else fits perfect and it is an expensive suit. Can you alter the shoulders to make them any lower? Take it to a tailor? Thanks

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes..but it isn't easy....need someone with some serious skillz!

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This has been discussed many times before. Do a search

vigilantex69

Reaction score
Honestly I didnt try it on, I went and got fitted and used the measurements to purchase online. It is a brilliant Versace suit, but the shoulders run a little high. I will take a pic and post, maybe that is just how it is supposed to sit. I may just have never tried on that type of suit before.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jrd617
This has been discussed many times before. Do a search

Seems EVERY post on here thats redundant you are always the first to tell them they need to do a search.....We need to kick in and get you an "Internet Sherriff" badge.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
laugh.gif

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DerekS
Seems EVERY post on here thats redundant you are always the first to tell them they need to do a search.....We need to kick in and get you an "Internet Sherriff" badge.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
laugh.gif

On objective questions like this, it's kind of nuts not to check if it's been asked before, instead of clogging the forum.

chet31

Reaction score
Changing shoulder pads is not that big a deal. The better alterations people have a variety of shoulder pads at their disposal. I am thinking of getting a "lighter" pad for my Zegna suit.

If the shoulders are too wide, narrowing them requires someone who knows what they are doing, and is costly.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jrd617
On objective questions like this, it's kind of nuts not to check if it's been asked before, instead of clogging the forum.

i agree.....just funny that I start thinking it and then always see your name.
biggrin.gif

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chet31
Changing shoulder pads is not that big a deal. The better alterations people have a variety of shoulder pads at their disposal. I am thinking of getting a "lighter" pad for my Zegna suit.
[...]

Changing the thickness of the pad is only half the battle.
What do you do with the void you now created where there is no pad any more?
Depending on the extent of this change, the shoulders will sag and potentially lump up and whatnot, and if I'm not mistaken, you have to open the shoulder seams to correct for this. This is a complex alteration and not something I'd trust your friendly neighbourhood dry cleaner with.

chet31

Reaction score
^ On my coats, and I cannot speak for all coats, the fabric rests on the pad, it is not sewn tightly around it. It would be not that much different if I wore the pads directly on my shoulders, like a football player.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chet31
^ On my coats, and I cannot speak for all coats, the fabric rests on the pad, it is not sewn tightly around it. It would be not that much different if I wore the pads directly on my shoulders, like a football player.

Redwood is right; to perform the alteration correctly the shoulder seam would need to opened and altered. If the shoulder pads are reduced the resulting shoulder-line is more sloped and the shoulder seam needs to be altered accordingly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads