• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Can you alter shoulders in suit?

vigilantex69

New Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2011
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
I bought a very nice suit but it turns out the shoulders are a bit high. Kind of looks like I'm wearing shoulder pads. Everything else fits perfect and it is an expensive suit. Can you alter the shoulders to make them any lower? Take it to a tailor? Thanks
 

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Dec 3, 2009
Messages
19,749
Reaction score
2,692
Yes..but it isn't easy....need someone with some serious skillz!
 

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Jul 15, 2009
Messages
15,159
Reaction score
2,532
This has been discussed many times before. Do a search
 

vigilantex69

New Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2011
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Honestly I didnt try it on, I went and got fitted and used the measurements to purchase online. It is a brilliant Versace suit, but the shoulders run a little high. I will take a pic and post, maybe that is just how it is supposed to sit. I may just have never tried on that type of suit before.
 

DerekS

Guyliner
Joined
Sep 17, 2010
Messages
8,625
Reaction score
4,843
Originally Posted by jrd617
This has been discussed many times before. Do a search

Seems EVERY post on here thats redundant you are always the first to tell them they need to do a search.....We need to kick in and get you an "Internet Sherriff" badge.
 

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Jul 15, 2009
Messages
15,159
Reaction score
2,532
Originally Posted by DerekS
Seems EVERY post on here thats redundant you are always the first to tell them they need to do a search.....We need to kick in and get you an "Internet Sherriff" badge.


On objective questions like this, it's kind of nuts not to check if it's been asked before, instead of clogging the forum.
 

chet31

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2011
Messages
284
Reaction score
14
Changing shoulder pads is not that big a deal. The better alterations people have a variety of shoulder pads at their disposal. I am thinking of getting a "lighter" pad for my Zegna suit.

If the shoulders are too wide, narrowing them requires someone who knows what they are doing, and is costly.
 

DerekS

Guyliner
Joined
Sep 17, 2010
Messages
8,625
Reaction score
4,843
Originally Posted by jrd617
On objective questions like this, it's kind of nuts not to check if it's been asked before, instead of clogging the forum.

i agree.....just funny that I start thinking it and then always see your name.
 

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2010
Messages
1,610
Reaction score
10
Originally Posted by chet31
Changing shoulder pads is not that big a deal. The better alterations people have a variety of shoulder pads at their disposal. I am thinking of getting a "lighter" pad for my Zegna suit.
[...]


Changing the thickness of the pad is only half the battle.
What do you do with the void you now created where there is no pad any more?
Depending on the extent of this change, the shoulders will sag and potentially lump up and whatnot, and if I'm not mistaken, you have to open the shoulder seams to correct for this. This is a complex alteration and not something I'd trust your friendly neighbourhood dry cleaner with.
 

chet31

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2011
Messages
284
Reaction score
14
^ On my coats, and I cannot speak for all coats, the fabric rests on the pad, it is not sewn tightly around it. It would be not that much different if I wore the pads directly on my shoulders, like a football player.
 

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2006
Messages
5,059
Reaction score
131
Originally Posted by chet31
^ On my coats, and I cannot speak for all coats, the fabric rests on the pad, it is not sewn tightly around it. It would be not that much different if I wore the pads directly on my shoulders, like a football player.

Redwood is right; to perform the alteration correctly the shoulder seam would need to opened and altered. If the shoulder pads are reduced the resulting shoulder-line is more sloped and the shoulder seam needs to be altered accordingly.
 

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

  • Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

  • Loafers

  • Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

  • Monk strap shoes

  • Oxford / Derby shoes

  • Sneakers


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
427,155
Messages
9,193,223
Members
193,080
Latest member
Canbury09

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top