Can we anticipate lots of good deals coming?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by lee_44106, Jan 17, 2009.

1. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

So all this economic woes and stores not doing well (like yesterday Circuit City going broke and liquidating), do you all think that there will be a glut of high-end clothing items flooding the discount stores?

As an example, the recent flood of Talbott sterling cuff links hitting Marshalls.

Also lots of people selling the cashmere Facconable ties recently.

What else can we expect?

2. Spatlese

Spatlese Senior member

I don't know, but I hope many members with closer access to the deals will continue to see it in their hearts to flow through the motherlode in B&S at reasonable markups [​IMG]

3. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

I don't know, but I hope many members with closer access to the deals will continue to see it in their hearts to flow through the motherlode in B&S at reasonable markups [​IMG]

I got your back, Splatlese! Headed out right now into the retail abyss...

4. samurai

samurai Senior member

The real change will occur as manufacturers of high-end and luxury goods begin to lower their wholesale prices in order to survive. As I understand it, department stores are currently slow in re-stocking because of large losses.

As was pointed out in the L.A. Times recently, luxury shopping is way down. Brands like Vuitton, Hermes, Rolex and Gucci will soon have to face the reality that if they want to stay solvent they will have to offer their goods at a lower and more realistic price point.

5. Spatlese

Spatlese Senior member

I got your back, Splatlese! Headed out right now into the retail abyss...

[​IMG]

6. fcuknu

fcuknu Senior member

As was pointed out in the L.A. Times recently, luxury shopping is way down. Brands like Vuitton, Hermes, Rolex and Gucci will soon have to face the reality that if they want to stay solvent they will have to offer their goods at a lower and more realistic price point.

This will hurt them in the end. It is better if they keep prices the same and just cut back in unnecessary spending

7. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

+100 and Quoted for the TRUTH.

8. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

The real change will occur as manufacturers of high-end and luxury goods begin to lower their wholesale prices in order to survive. As I understand it, department stores are currently slow in re-stocking because of large losses.

Anybody has some actual numbers of how bad things are going for these brands?

Recently Paul Stuart had an on-line sale, which I've never seen.

It'll be the day when Hermes has a sale.

9. 1400PennAve

1400PennAve Active Member

So all this economic woes and stores not doing well (like yesterday Circuit City going broke and liquidating), do you all think that there will be a glut of high-end clothing items flooding the discount stores?

As an example, the recent flood of Talbott sterling cuff links hitting Marshalls.

Also lots of people selling the cashmere Facconable ties recently.

What else can we expect?

I've seen Talbott in TJMaxx and Marshalls

10. 1400PennAve

1400PennAve Active Member

Hmmm...I wonder if the price points went down on some of these brands would any of you buy them? A high price seems to be the prevailing motivation for people in this forum.

11. towen

towen Member

What gave you that impression? People are always hunting for sales or deals on high end clothes. There are some people who buy things for status, but this forum isn't really that kind of place, from what I've seen.

12. NH_Clark

NH_Clark Senior member

+1 !!!

13. Jacksdad

Jacksdad Senior member

It's about time that luxury brands came down off their high horse. Buying luxury goods was extremely popular up until this economic downturn. So much so that they would have biannual price increases, just because they could.
    Last week I was offered a new Rolex Deepsea at 10% off retail. A year ago if you asked for a discount at an AD they would have laughed me out of the store. I think you'll find that if they want to stay in business they will have to make a few concessions.

14. speedster.8

speedster.8 Senior member

It'll be the day when Hermes has a sale.
    They just had a 2day, invitation only sale in Paris.... But there was a recent interview on some radio station ... Where a "spokes person" said many "known" brands had agreed with the larger retail stores to divide the cost of going on sale EARLY. As they have this autumn. I got the feeling some brands were going for a safer more predictable (if possible) route this coming season. Thus having collections they can hang on to longer and not discount as hard ... We just have to see wont we [​IMG]

15. Jacksdad

Jacksdad Senior member

SALE SALE SALE....who doesn't love a SALE?!