• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can we anticipate lots of good deals coming?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So all this economic woes and stores not doing well (like yesterday Circuit City going broke and liquidating), do you all think that there will be a glut of high-end clothing items flooding the discount stores?

As an example, the recent flood of Talbott sterling cuff links hitting Marshalls.

Also lots of people selling the cashmere Facconable ties recently.

What else can we expect?

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know, but I hope many members with closer access to the deals will continue to see it in their hearts to flow through the motherlode in B&S at reasonable markups
smile.gif

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spatlese
I don't know, but I hope many members with closer access to the deals will continue to see it in their hearts to flow through the motherlode in B&S at reasonable markups
smile.gif

I got your back, Splatlese! Headed out right now into the retail abyss...

samurai

Reaction score
The real change will occur as manufacturers of high-end and luxury goods begin to lower their wholesale prices in order to survive. As I understand it, department stores are currently slow in re-stocking because of large losses.

As was pointed out in the L.A. Times recently, luxury shopping is way down. Brands like Vuitton, Hermes, Rolex and Gucci will soon have to face the reality that if they want to stay solvent they will have to offer their goods at a lower and more realistic price point.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by samurai
As was pointed out in the L.A. Times recently, luxury shopping is way down. Brands like Vuitton, Hermes, Rolex and Gucci will soon have to face the reality that if they want to stay solvent they will have to offer their goods at a lower and more realistic price point.

This will hurt them in the end. It is better if they keep prices the same and just cut back in unnecessary spending

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
smile.gif

+100 and Quoted for the TRUTH.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The real change will occur as manufacturers of high-end and luxury goods begin to lower their wholesale prices in order to survive. As I understand it, department stores are currently slow in re-stocking because of large losses.

Anybody has some actual numbers of how bad things are going for these brands?

Recently Paul Stuart had an on-line sale, which I've never seen.

It'll be the day when Hermes has a sale.

1400PennAve

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
So all this economic woes and stores not doing well (like yesterday Circuit City going broke and liquidating), do you all think that there will be a glut of high-end clothing items flooding the discount stores?

As an example, the recent flood of Talbott sterling cuff links hitting Marshalls.

Also lots of people selling the cashmere Facconable ties recently.

What else can we expect?

I've seen Talbott in TJMaxx and Marshalls

towen

Reaction score
What gave you that impression? People are always hunting for sales or deals on high end clothes. There are some people who buy things for status, but this forum isn't really that kind of place, from what I've seen.

NH_Clark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
smile.gif

+1 !!!

Jacksdad

Reaction score

It's about time that luxury brands came down off their high horse. Buying luxury goods was extremely popular up until this economic downturn. So much so that they would have biannual price increases, just because they could.
Last week I was offered a new Rolex Deepsea at 10% off retail. A year ago if you asked for a discount at an AD they would have laughed me out of the store. I think you'll find that if they want to stay in business they will have to make a few concessions.

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
It'll be the day when Hermes has a sale.
They just had a 2day, invitation only sale in Paris.... But there was a recent interview on some radio station ... Where a "spokes person" said many "known" brands had agreed with the larger retail stores to divide the cost of going on sale EARLY. As they have this autumn. I got the feeling some brands were going for a safer more predictable (if possible) route this coming season. Thus having collections they can hang on to longer and not discount as hard ... We just have to see wont we
biggrin.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads