Can tie runs be repaired?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by insanestyle, May 3, 2007.

1. insanestyle

insanestyle Active Member

I've got a nice Atelier Versace tie which is absolutely gorgeous save for several runs in it of which one I believe is visible at a social distance.
    I've searched online and cant find a place which may repair tie runs.. is this even done or is it simply tossed?

2. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

It's generally tossed. Small pulls can be carefully snipped or sometimes singed off, but if a yarn is pulled through the weave and visible, there's not much that can be done.

Welcome to the forum BTW.

3. insanestyle

Thanks razor..
    I was hoping you weren't gonna say that. Its a gorgeous piece of work.
    DOH!

4. EL72

EL72 Senior member

Runs cannot be repaired. If it's a rep stripe tie, you can try pulling threads at the same interval from each stripe to repeat the pattern with the run. YMMV but you don't really have much to lose if the tie is no longer wearable.

5. insanestyle

I thought about pulling the "pull" from the opposite end to align it to the pattern once again but held off to see if there were repair places.
    Hell I got nothin to lose like you said, maybe I'll pull out a magnifying glass and tweezers and get to work on it.
    Thanks.

6. thinman

thinman Senior member

IMHO, runs cannot be repaired, but I've repaired snags before with a simple sewing needle. Poke the needle part way through the tie, as close to the snag as possible, thread the snagged silk through the needle, and pull the needle through the tie to the other side. If you have enough snagged silk, tie a knot before trimming. If you don't have enough silk to tie a knot, trim it far enough from the tie that the snag won't easily work through to the other side.

I've actually negotiated hefty discounts on snagged ties that I knew I could "repair" this way.

7. Countertenor

Countertenor Senior member

Small pulls can be carefully snipped or sometimes singed off

Do you (or anyone else) have experience with singeing very small pulls? I have a couple candidates, and I'd like to know how to proceed.

8. gracian

gracian Senior member

Have you asked tiecrafters? They probably have the most experience with this type of thing.

9. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Do you (or anyone else) have experience with singeing very small pulls? I have a couple candidates, and I'd like to know how to proceed.
    Sure, basically use a cigarette lighter, bend the tie so that the snag is on the far outer surface, and move the yellow part of the flame juuuuust close enough that it singes only the snag, then move it away. It should happen pretty instantly once you get close enough. If you don't have good fine motor skills, I would not suggest this. If you're worried about it, you might practice on a junk tie from a thrift shop.

10. Countertenor

Countertenor Senior member

Sure, basically use a cigarette lighter, bend the tie so that the snag is on the far outer surface, and move the yellow part of the flame juuuuust close enough that it singes only the snag, then move it away. It should happen pretty instantly once you get close enough. If you don't have good fine motor skills, I would not suggest this. If you're worried about it, you might practice on a junk tie from a thrift shop.

Coo. Thanks. That's pretty much what I figured, I just wanted to make sure.