• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can tie runs be repaired?

insanestyle

Reaction score
I've got a nice Atelier Versace tie which is absolutely gorgeous save for several runs in it of which one I believe is visible at a social distance.
I've searched online and cant find a place which may repair tie runs.. is this even done or is it simply tossed?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It's generally tossed. Small pulls can be carefully snipped or sometimes singed off, but if a yarn is pulled through the weave and visible, there's not much that can be done.

Welcome to the forum BTW.

insanestyle

Reaction score
Thanks razor..
I was hoping you weren't gonna say that. Its a gorgeous piece of work.
DOH!

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Runs cannot be repaired. If it's a rep stripe tie, you can try pulling threads at the same interval from each stripe to repeat the pattern with the run. YMMV but you don't really have much to lose if the tie is no longer wearable.

insanestyle

Reaction score
I thought about pulling the "pull" from the opposite end to align it to the pattern once again but held off to see if there were repair places.
Hell I got nothin to lose like you said, maybe I'll pull out a magnifying glass and tweezers and get to work on it.
Thanks.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMHO, runs cannot be repaired, but I've repaired snags before with a simple sewing needle. Poke the needle part way through the tie, as close to the snag as possible, thread the snagged silk through the needle, and pull the needle through the tie to the other side. If you have enough snagged silk, tie a knot before trimming. If you don't have enough silk to tie a knot, trim it far enough from the tie that the snag won't easily work through to the other side.

I've actually negotiated hefty discounts on snagged ties that I knew I could "repair" this way.

Countertenor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Small pulls can be carefully snipped or sometimes singed off

Do you (or anyone else) have experience with singeing very small pulls? I have a couple candidates, and I'd like to know how to proceed.

gracian

Reaction score
Have you asked tiecrafters? They probably have the most experience with this type of thing.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Countertenor
Do you (or anyone else) have experience with singeing very small pulls? I have a couple candidates, and I'd like to know how to proceed.
Sure, basically use a cigarette lighter, bend the tie so that the snag is on the far outer surface, and move the yellow part of the flame juuuuust close enough that it singes only the snag, then move it away. It should happen pretty instantly once you get close enough. If you don't have good fine motor skills, I would not suggest this. If you're worried about it, you might practice on a junk tie from a thrift shop.

Countertenor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Sure, basically use a cigarette lighter, bend the tie so that the snag is on the far outer surface, and move the yellow part of the flame juuuuust close enough that it singes only the snag, then move it away. It should happen pretty instantly once you get close enough. If you don't have good fine motor skills, I would not suggest this. If you're worried about it, you might practice on a junk tie from a thrift shop.

Coo. Thanks. That's pretty much what I figured, I just wanted to make sure.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads