• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can This Shirt Be Made to Work (pictures)?

KaiserSose

Reaction score
I managed to snag this during the Saks sale (Canali), but now I am worried it's too big for me. Obviously the sleeves are long, but do you think if I pull the sides in the shirt will look ok?

View1.jpg

view2.jpg

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
if the collar fits you can have the sleeves taken, and the sides and arms taken in.

But honestly i would return it, i know what my tailor charges for work, and if i need to touch the sleeves on most shirts it isnt worth it.

KaiserSose

Reaction score
I didn't mention this in the opening post, but my body proportions are real messed up. To be honest, I have a fat neck, big pecks, flat stomach and short arms. This makes fitting into OTR shirts very difficult. I know MTM or tailored shirts may be my best bet, but I got this shirt for a ridiculously low price ($55 for a Canali) and would love to make it work if I can. But I also want to be realistic. If it's too big, it's too big. I just don't know what a tailor can do because I have never really gone to one before.

As far as the shirt is concerned, the neck does fit.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As long as the shoulder and collar size fit, the issues with the shirt can be fixed.

1. Reduce the sleeve length
2. Have the shirt taken in at the sides
3. Have darts put in the back

Should come to $30

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
As long as the shoulder and collar size fit, the issues with the shirt can be fixed.

1. Reduce the sleeve length
2. Have the shirt taken in at the sides
3. Have darts put in the back

Should come to $30

where do YOU live???

for any competent tailor in my area, this would cost at least $20 for #1, $15 for #2, and $10 for #3, and these are just conservative figures from the 4 or so tailors i've used in my area. i'm estimating more around $50 for all these alterations.

considering this is almost the cost of the shirt, i'd say no, this shirt's definitely going back. just because it's a canali shirt doesn't make it better if it fits like poncho on you. going MTM then is the only way; not only is it comparable in price (jantzen, mytailor, tailorstore all have cheap MTM), it'll fit infinitely better.

aavlee

Reaction score
shoulders look like their an inch or two too wide. The sleeve should start closer to your shoulder bone.

KaiserSose

Reaction score
Alright, you guys slapped some sense into me. I think I was clinging to a good deal..
frown.gif
. I should probably start another thread for this, but I'm curious, are the neck / shoulder's the must fit qualities of a shirt? Like if I bought a shirt with a 15" neck, could I possibly have the button moved to fit a 15.75?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KaiserSose
I didn't mention this in the opening post, but my body proportions are real messed up. To be honest, I have a fat neck, big pecks, flat stomach and short arms.

this is not rare at all. 15.75-16 is not a big neck. Get a shirt which fits your neck, in a slim cut, and get the sleeves shortened. End of story

korce

Reaction score
I should probably start another thread for this, but I'm curious, are the neck / shoulder's the must fit qualities of a shirt? Like if I bought a shirt with a 15" neck, could I possibly have the button moved to fit a 15.75?

In my understanding, the "must fit" qualifications of a shirt are the shoulders and the neck. Having a collar altered (decrease or increase in size) is very difficult beyond moving the button perhaps 0.5cm in either direction. Same goes for the shoulders - if the shirt is too wide or narrow at the shoulder seams its pointless getting any alterations done imo.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I should probably start another thread for this, but I'm curious, are the neck / shoulder's the must fit qualities of a shirt? Like if I bought a shirt with a 15" neck, could I possibly have the button moved to fit a 15.75?
Yes. If a shirt doesn't fit you in the neck and shoulders, it's a waste of money no matter how cheap it is.

AdamInSF

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stickonatree
where do YOU live??? for any competent tailor in my area, this would cost at least $20 for #1, $15 for #2, and $10 for #3, and these are just conservative figures from the 4 or so tailors i've used in my area. i'm estimating more around $50 for all these alterations. considering this is almost the cost of the shirt, i'd say no, this shirt's definitely going back. just because it's a canali shirt doesn't make it better if it fits like poncho on you. going MTM then is the only way; not only is it comparable in price (jantzen, mytailor, tailorstore all have cheap MTM), it'll fit infinitely better.
Yeah, the shoulder fit is a deal-breaker there. I've paid $50 for having the body taken in at the sides and the arm scyes and sleeves tightened up, which I don't mind for shirts that fit in the shoulder, but if that's off, forget about it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads