• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can This Shirt Be Made to Work (pictures)?

KaiserSose

Reaction score
Okay, thanks guys.. Apparently Canali is built for massive men. Even the 15" fits me huge on the shoulders. On the flip side I got a Paul Smith 16.5 shirt that fits narrower. Weird stuff.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KaiserSose
Okay, thanks guys.. Apparently Canali is built for massive men. Even the 15" fits me huge on the shoulders. On the flip side I got a Paul Smith 16.5 shirt that fits narrower. Weird stuff.

Canali shirts are generally HUGE. Paul Smith is much slimmer. You can even search these brands on the forum to get an idea how this stuff fits. better yet, just try it on at the store before you buy.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
try Ted Baker, or RL Black Label.

Ted Baker shirts are relatively slim, but in my experience the fabric while very attractive in stores, is crap and more or less ruined after 3 washes.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i have a few of them, and they've held up well.

What do you possibly do to a shirt to wear it out in 3 washings? I've had shirts from express last much much longer then that.

I wash them the same way i wash any of my shirts, and they still look brand new.

slow spin, hot water, pre-spot, and mild detergent.

Starch where needed and iron.

Snidely Whiplash

Reaction score
I have the same build and the same problems. Don't even want to think of the $ and time I have wasted in buying the wrong shirts.
confused.gif
I have a 16.5 inch neck, big chest, big shoulders and relatively flat stomach and shorter arms, and weigh more than people would think by looking at me (this must be a typical wrestling/American football/rugby build).

I agree with what Tarmac proposed. Buy slim-fit shirts that fit in the neck and shoulders and have a tailor take in the sides if necessary and shorten the sleeves. Two excellent brands for this are Barba and Finamore.

I am also considering buying 16.5 inch neck shirts for all shirts to be worn with a tie, and 16 inch neck shirts for more colorful or dark shirts that I will only wear without a tie, neck unbuttoned.

It is disappointing not to be able to wear anything off the rack and if our finances improve over the years, I guess we are prime candidates for switching to MTM.

KaiserSose

Reaction score
Snidely Whiplash;1513347 said:
I am also considering buying 16.5 inch neck shirts for all shirts to be worn with a tie, and 16 inch neck shirts for more colorful or dark shirts that I will only wear without a tie, neck unbuttoned.

I just started doing this.

dsmolken

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Snidely Whiplash
Ha, I do that with a few old shirts which have gotten too small in the neck but still fit in the torso. I've gained some mass over the past couple of years and have given all my old shirts away to my skinny cousins except for the four most colorful/informal ones. Though I only buy new shirts which fit properly in the neck. Who knows, I might someday want to wear a tie with even the most absurdly patterned shirt.

For shirts which I plan to wear with a tie regularly, though, I get MTM. I have a 17.5 inch neck and short clavicles so even slim-fit shirts RTW don't work all that well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads