• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can this combo slightly pass?

knezz

Reaction score
I'm limited on options I'm losing a little weight. With that said can this combination be seen in public? I only have my phone therefore the image is not well (especially the shoe comparison).

The suit is olive. The shirt his blue and purple strips. The tie is purple, blue, green and yellow. The pocket square is all I currently have. The tie is all I have that will remotely work.

Also which shoe would look better with this combo (if you will allow me to leave the house with it)? I have a Walnut Strand or a Brown Fifth Street. I do have a Burgundy McAllister but I wear them relatively often (haven't wore them in two weeks so they are rested enough if that is a much better option.

Sorry for the crap picture.

Any advice is appreciated.

atila

Reaction score
I would try and lend some advice, but the colors in the picture and how you describe them are so off I don't think we can actually lend any advice based on the information given. Based on the colors I see in the picture, sure it works. But your description of the colors do not match what is actually being shown...

plei89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The shirt is throwing me off... The checks are blending in with the checks of the shirt.

I'd go with a solid colored shirt, fold the pocket square differently, and throw on your burgundy mcallisters (it will compliment the pocket square).

Just my opinion.

Last edited:

plei89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But I do believe the underlying problem is your tie... You want the color of your tie to contrast the color of your suit. Not match it.

But if it's the only tie you have to work with, I'd swap out the shirt.

knezz

Reaction score
Her is another try at it with a white shirt.. I think I will still have to go with the Burgundy McaAllisters?

I am DIL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It would make you look like Matt Damon in 'The Informant!' if you ask me. Sorry dude. Not digging.

knezz

Reaction score

It would make you look like Matt Damon in 'The Informant!' if you ask me. Sorry dude. Not digging.

Meaning too bland?

If so, I'm just out of luck..

What would you change... I know I'm setting myself up.

I am DIL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, it's the opposite of bland. It's tremendously eye-catching, which is the point.

It might be better to match the pocket square with the shirt, or don't do that pouf fold. The conflicting patterns in conjunction with the pointy-ass point collar don't = awesome. It might be better to see a photograph with you actually in the suit.

plei89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The second ensemble is even worse.... The greens in the tie is in the same color family as the "olive" in your suit. Like, I've said, you want as much CONTRAST as possible.

You don't have any navy ties?

knezz

Reaction score
Does this tie work with the original shirt (purple and blue)?

Listed as purple

Listed as light blue and navy

Will this pocket square work

Am I going in the right or wrong direction in your opinions?

Last edited:

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The pocket square should be a neutral, such as white (with small blue dots, perhaps), or skip it altogether.

joeman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm limited on options I'm losing a little weight. With that said can this combination be seen in public? I only have my phone therefore the image is not well (especially the shoe comparison).
The suit is olive. The shirt his blue and purple strips. The tie is purple, blue, green and yellow. The pocket square is all I currently have. The tie is all I have that will remotely work.

Also which shoe would look better with this combo (if you will allow me to leave the house with it)? I have a Walnut Strand or a Brown Fifth Street. I do have a Burgundy McAllister but I wear them relatively often (haven't wore them in two weeks so they are rested enough if that is a much better option.
Sorry for the crap picture.

Any advice is appreciated.

I wish the shirt was just in a solid color so it wouldn't clash with the patterned tie.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Staff online

Forum statistics