• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can these boots go with these trousers?

fashionnoob

Reaction score

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Personally, I would wear them with the "matching" chukkas before I wore them with the desert-colored ones. YMMV...

fashionnoob

Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Personally, I would wear them with the "matching" chukkas before I wore them with the desert-colored ones. YMMV...

thanks grim. i'm sort of new at this, as my screenname implies. is it true that your boots/shoes should always be a darker shade than your trousers? i've heard this from a few different people.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fashionnoob
thanks grim. i'm sort of new at this, as my screenname implies. is it true that your boots/shoes should always be a darker shade than your trousers? i've heard this from a few different people.

I would not go that far. IMHO, IAMAS, AFAIK etc etc etc
smile.gif

E.g. gray trousers with darker tan or light cognac shoes. Nice stuff.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The lighter Clarks could work, but it's a little more daring -- I'd stick with the darker shoes.

fashionnoob

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quirk
The lighter Clarks could work, but it's a little more daring -- I'd stick with the darker shoes.

so it doesn't matter that the darker boots are the exact same color as the corduroys? i wasn't sure if that was a faux-pas or not.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
FWIW, I have dark brown cords that I wear with one of 2 pairs of boots that are nearly the exact same color and I don't think it looks awkward. Just don't wear a top in the same color or you'll look like a hershey bar

fashionnoob

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
FWIW, I have dark brown cords that I wear with one of 2 pairs of boots that are nearly the exact same color and I don't think it looks awkward. Just don't wear a top in the same color or you'll look like a hershey bar

lol8[1].gif
ok thanks

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fashionnoob
so it doesn't matter that the darker boots are the exact same color as the corduroys? i wasn't sure if that was a faux-pas or not.

Nah, it's fine. Just like wearing black shoes with black trousers -- pretty much universally accepted.
devil.gif

Seriously, it'll probably work fine -- it's always possible the combo could look a little funky depending on how the subleties in the two shades of brown make them look side by side, or any idiosyncrasies in how the corduroy or the suede catches the light, weird stuff like that. Ideally, it would be better if there were more contrast -- e.g., chocolate brown shoes and lighter brown cords, but given the two options, until you're a little more confident in your personal style, I'd stick with the darker shoe.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I think either would be fine. But yes, wearing the lighter boots will draw attention to your feet, so you'd better be graceful.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads