• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can There Be Fashion For My Body Size?

stuartSan

Reaction score
Hi all. To start off, I'm a skinny jeans and All Chucks kinda guy, but lately I think it's time to change my pants cutting, because I don't think it flatters my body anymore.

My body isn't really strange. I'm around 167cm (short, I know) and weigh 135 lbs.

I am average built, but having a bigger chest and torso really hinders me getting into clothes I want. My chest usually shows in shirts.

My thighs are big too, compared to my calves (which is why I'm bored of skinnies lately). I'm pretty physically active so that explains my body proportion.

The thing is, I'm not a very 'smart' type of person. I prefer 'street' looks. It compliments my non-corporate career too.

I think straight cut pants aren't really the thing for me, and wonder if I could still have 'style', with my current body type. My fashion sense isn't really good enough to dress myself up. I just know what I don't want, not what I want. Lol.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

JayGatsby

Reaction score
Indeed!

J.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
At 5'6" 135lb you consider yourself to have a bigger chest/torso?

stuartSan

Reaction score
Sorry I don't have the equipment right now. Searched through my pics but couldn't find a clear full body one.

Yeah, strange as it seems, people have been telling me that my upper body looks 'fleshy' when I wear my skinnies, even at 135lbs/167cm.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's certainly possible. What's your bodyfat like?

stuartSan

Reaction score
The only full body picture I can find in my skinnies.

I'm the guy without the suspenders on YOUR right. (Left side on stage.)

And in the second pic, a close up on my chest. I'm the guy with the grey/brown tee on YOUR left.

Hope that helps.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't see anything wrong with that in terms of upper body fit.

hollaforadolla

Reaction score
im 5'6 1/2" and i pretty much have a hard time looking for clothes too. you just have to look harder for nice stuff. i can find myself trying on 20 items and not liking any one of them cause they are usually too big.

nastyandy

Reaction score
I am one inch shorter than you (5'5") and 150 lbs, with a built upper body and muscular legs, 38 chest and 30-31 waist, so I understand your angle, I think.

If you are worried about looking topheavy, don't wear tapered jeans, or skin-tight skinny jeans. From the proportions you've described, you should still be okay with straight leg jeans unless your upper legs and thighs have no room in the jeans you are wearing.

As far as tops, I think you should be fine wearing something fitted as long as you do not have a lot of bodyfat. Looks fine in the pic. My chest shows in my shirts too, but I don't think there's anything wrong if your pecs are built.

Bergdorf Goodwill

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You look better than the emaciated "sir, we're going to need a T-Cell count" crowd that tends to flock.

More importantly: can I sleep on your floor (assuming you live in Japan [possibly even if you don't])?

Gilead

Reaction score
You look fine. I never thought I'd have to reassure someone like this who wasn't a teenage girl.

checkermate

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bergdorf Goodwill
You look better than the emaciated "sir, we're going to need a T-Cell count" crowd that tends to flock.

More importantly: can I sleep on your floor (assuming you live in Japan [possibly even if you don't])?

looks more like taiwan or china to me ^^

stuartSan

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. Greatly appreciated.

Haha, well I do have the right to feel self conscious sometimes!

In that case I think I'll stick to tighter jeans. I'm from Malaysia. And my floor's not that comfortable to sleep on.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads