• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can the sleeves on this leather jacket be shortened?

foryoureyesonly

Reaction score
Can a leather jacket like this one with zippers on the cuffs be shortened say 2-3"? I'm assuming if it could be done the zippers would have to be removed which is fine with me, but I need to know 100% if this can be done before I make a purchase. Would be very much appreciated guys as I really don't want to waste my money if for some reason it can't.
nn2ko0.jpg

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would bet a good tailor could take them up from the shoulder just like with a suit jacket with button cuffs already cut. Granted there's always a limit before it affects the way the arm hangs.

foryoureyesonly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by scurvyfreedman
I would bet a good tailor could take them up from the shoulder just like with a suit jacket with button cuffs already cut. Granted there's always a limit before it affects the way the arm hangs.

Thanks for the quick response, I really appreciate it. I'd like to have at least one more opinion on things. Anyone else have an idea of if/how this job would be done?

Simplicio

Reaction score
If you need to take 2-3 inches off the sleeves then the jacket doesn't fit you. Find your correct size. If you did shorten the sleeves, and if by some miracle they did not look terrible, you would probably have to shorten the length as well. I doubt anyone could do this, and anyone who tried would charge you more than the price of the jacket. I can't see why you would bother. Just find a jacket that fits you.

foryoureyesonly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Simplicio
If you need to take 2-3 inches off the sleeves then the jacket doesn't fit you. Find your correct size. If you did shorten the sleeves, and if by some miracle they did not look terrible, you would probably have to shorten the length as well. I doubt anyone could do this, and anyone who tried would charge you more than the price of the jacket. I can't see why you would bother. Just find a jacket that fits you.
Actually, I wouldn't have to shorten anything else. The rest of the jacket are my exact measurements. I have shorter arms and always have to get the arms shortened on everything I buy, but it's just the arms. Everything else couldn't possibly fit anymore perfect. I've just never tried to get a leather jacket shortened and figured it might be quite different. I appreciate you trying to help, but don't know why you'd think someone on a style forum wouldn't be getting the right fit.

Simplicio

Reaction score
Originally Posted by foryoureyesonly
Actually, I wouldn't have to shorten anything else. The rest of the jacket are my exact measurements. I have shorter arms and always have to get the arms shortened on everything I buy, but it's just the arms. Everything else couldn't possibly fit anymore perfect. I've just never tried to get a leather jacket shortened and figured it might be quite different. I appreciate you trying to help, but don't know why you'd think someone on a style forum wouldn't be getting the right fit.

If you say so I'll take your word for it. But it is hard to imagine unless the jacket is already cut short in the length, I.e., meant to be that way.

Most people on the forum have fit issues. These are a huge proportion of the discussions.

I had not meant to sound snide. Sorry, and good luck.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads