• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Can the sleeves on this leather jacket be shortened?

foryoureyesonly

Reaction score
Can a leather jacket like this one with zippers on the cuffs be shortened say 2-3"? I'm assuming if it could be done the zippers would have to be removed which is fine with me, but I need to know 100% if this can be done before I make a purchase. Would be very much appreciated guys as I really don't want to waste my money if for some reason it can't.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would bet a good tailor could take them up from the shoulder just like with a suit jacket with button cuffs already cut. Granted there's always a limit before it affects the way the arm hangs.

foryoureyesonly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by scurvyfreedman
I would bet a good tailor could take them up from the shoulder just like with a suit jacket with button cuffs already cut. Granted there's always a limit before it affects the way the arm hangs.

Thanks for the quick response, I really appreciate it. I'd like to have at least one more opinion on things. Anyone else have an idea of if/how this job would be done?

Simplicio

Reaction score
If you need to take 2-3 inches off the sleeves then the jacket doesn't fit you. Find your correct size. If you did shorten the sleeves, and if by some miracle they did not look terrible, you would probably have to shorten the length as well. I doubt anyone could do this, and anyone who tried would charge you more than the price of the jacket. I can't see why you would bother. Just find a jacket that fits you.

foryoureyesonly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Simplicio
If you need to take 2-3 inches off the sleeves then the jacket doesn't fit you. Find your correct size. If you did shorten the sleeves, and if by some miracle they did not look terrible, you would probably have to shorten the length as well. I doubt anyone could do this, and anyone who tried would charge you more than the price of the jacket. I can't see why you would bother. Just find a jacket that fits you.
Actually, I wouldn't have to shorten anything else. The rest of the jacket are my exact measurements. I have shorter arms and always have to get the arms shortened on everything I buy, but it's just the arms. Everything else couldn't possibly fit anymore perfect. I've just never tried to get a leather jacket shortened and figured it might be quite different. I appreciate you trying to help, but don't know why you'd think someone on a style forum wouldn't be getting the right fit.

Simplicio

Reaction score
Originally Posted by foryoureyesonly
Actually, I wouldn't have to shorten anything else. The rest of the jacket are my exact measurements. I have shorter arms and always have to get the arms shortened on everything I buy, but it's just the arms. Everything else couldn't possibly fit anymore perfect. I've just never tried to get a leather jacket shortened and figured it might be quite different. I appreciate you trying to help, but don't know why you'd think someone on a style forum wouldn't be getting the right fit.

If you say so I'll take your word for it. But it is hard to imagine unless the jacket is already cut short in the length, I.e., meant to be that way.

Most people on the forum have fit issues. These are a huge proportion of the discussions.

I had not meant to sound snide. Sorry, and good luck.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.