Can the sleeves be lengthened on a cashmere overcoat?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ChazzR, Aug 17, 2006.

1. ChazzR

ChazzR Active Member

I tried one on recently and it fits perfectly but it's almost an inch too short in the sleeves. It's a 40 regular, which I think is the best I can do because I rarely see 40 long overcoats. This one hits me slightly below the knee, so I wouldn't want it much longer anyway. I would have bought it on the spot but I'm not sure about the sleeve alteration. There seemed to be a bit more than an inch of fabric folded back. Thanks, as usual.

2. Earthmover

Earthmover Senior member

if there's bit more than an inch folded inside, you can do about an inch by attaching a secondary material to the end of the natural cashmere sleeve, and using that to fold over. I think you need something like 1/4" or 3/8" in addition to the amount you want to lengthen by for this to work. Talk to a tailor, of course.

3. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

I rarely see 40 long overcoats. This one hits me slightly below the knee, so I wouldn't want it much longer anyway.

A classically cut overcoat should hit the middle of your shin. And, 40L is a common size.

4. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

A classically cut overcoat should hit the middle of your shin. And, 40L is a common size.
    Yeah, 40L's not hard to find.

5. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

Appears that you would be happier with a 40L size and get the proper fit to begin with.

6. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Senior member

How long, do you want that sleeve? Are you sure, it's too short? Lately, I've seen some idiotically long sleeve lengths, both on men's and women's garments. You don't need for that sleeve to hit to your knuckles. A little shorter, is fine.