1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Can the shoulders on this peacoat be tailored/taken in?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Randomrazr, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Randomrazr

Randomrazr Member

So i bought this awesome peacoat from STARS , its a men shop in Canada in malls.

Its a nice peacoat, 100% wool and love the style

BUT it doesnt come any smaller then a small, no XS.

the tailor said she can take in the back so the body would fit but wouldnt touch the shoulders, said cant be done.

Ive been looking around online and it seems like it could be, im assuming shes not skilled enough to touch the shoulders.

id imagine half a inch off each side should suffice.

unfortunately, i obviously dont have alot of meat on me.

i should have stayed away from a coat thats a bit to big but i loved the look. lessoned learned. cant return it now since it was tailored on the back.

so i guess i should ask, can the shoulders be actually taken in? im assuming, arms removed, and the shoulder area from top to chest be shortened and reattached?

heres a pic: https://www.flickr.com/photos/24140175@N02/22585604761/in/dateposted-public/

my friend told me she knows a local tailor whoes suppose to be pretty good and had good results with dresses and says she makes wedding dresses from scratch so im assumign shes experieinced. havent talked to her yet though

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  2. A Guy from Shanghai

A Guy from Shanghai Senior member

I once had an overcoat taken in at the shoulders by an experienced tailor. The result is very satisfactory, albeit the cost was quite high.

So I don't see why the same thing can't be done on a peacoat.

3. Randomrazr

Randomrazr Member

4. Randomrazr

Randomrazr Member

anyone else have experience?

5. AriG

AriG Senior member

Yeah sleeves are way too wide and long also. All alterations necessary will probably run you ~200$ if you're lucky enough to find a tailor that can do it (well) in the first place. My advice: get rid of it (return, sell or give away).

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  6. Randomrazr

Randomrazr Member

what alternations would it need? im willing to shell out if its not to crazy. i just love this peacoat lol

7. facet

facet Senior member

Body slimmed, the neck is way too wide, shoulders narrowed, sleeves slimmed and shortened. Even then, it probably won't look at that great since things would then be out of proportion. Trust us on this. Sometimes you just need cut your losses and walk away from something rather than sinking more money on a lost cause; save the money for something that you'll be happy with.

8. Randomrazr

Randomrazr Member

I already got it soon after making the thread. the lady at stars tailored the back so the boddy would be slimmer. so i cant reutnr it now :(. i should have trusted my gut that the shoulders at least seemed big.

she did shortern the sleeves and made the arms a bit slimmer to. the major part she didnt want to do was the shoulders.