• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can Suit Shoulder Width Be Reduced Through Alterations?

slick007

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was wondering if a suit jacket shoulder width was a bit too wide on someone, could it be altered and reduced? Let's say, something reasonable like about 1" at most? Most tailors will say no but I think some tailors have done it for others.

Does someone know if it's possible?

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From what I knew, only the sleeve head could be adjust to compensate the bad fit.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
100% yes it can be done its a fairly common alteration.

Last edited:

Needsmoreshoes

Reaction score
Yeah it can - I've had shoulders brought in before - worked really well though it wasn't a cheap alteration

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey guys,
I was wondering if a suit jacket shoulder width was a bit too wide on someone, could it be altered and reduced? Let's say, something reasonable like about 1" at most? Most tailors will say no but I think some tailors have done it for others.
Does someone know if it's possible?

Yes. My tailor can do it with alacrity.
Never did it for me, but reduced/eliminated padding in
several of my suits/jackets. Downside: He's in Menlo
Park CA- 30 miles south of San Francisco. His name is:

Bob Stancovic
650- 323-9614

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It can be done - but make sure the tailor who does it is competent, as it's one of the more complex tasks - also it can get expensive, so get a quote.

JohnAppleseed

Reaction score
It can be done but considered a 'major operation' and relatively expensive. My suggestion is to find a real tailor to do it and not simply an alterations place.

sullivan025

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I believe it can the width can be reduced but you have to take it to your tailor so he can gauge the fabric.

jamesleo629

Reaction score
It is possible to alter a suit shoulder according to your size and be fit in what you wearing on.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It can be done but considered a 'major operation' and relatively expensive. My suggestion is to find a real tailor to do it and not simply an alterations place. 
Agreed. It is possible but is certainly not something you should trust to anyone other than an actual tailor.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently had a few done for $250 each - but I probably paid a premium for my tailor - don't cheap out on this, if someone messes up the suit is garbage.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads