• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can Suit pants have Belt Loops and Side Adjusters?

stat1

Reaction score
I'm purchasing a 3 piece suit. From what I've learned here, these should be worn without a belt. However, I want to wear the suit as a two piece which I always wear with a belt. Can I have belt loops for 2 piece wear and have side adjusters for 3 piece wear? It is bit redundant but I never wear braces and don't like the feel of them. I also don't want the pants fit adjusted for braces. Is this too crazy of a set up?

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Maybe you should do belt loops when a two piece and suspender buttons for when yuo wear it as a three piece.

Exactly what I've done. Although I have yet to wear the suspenders!

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I also just realized that the OP started two threads about the same thing
plain.gif

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
plain.gif

Kind of a belt-and-suspenders approach to the question?

stat1

Reaction score
plain.gif

Yeah sorry about that. I know the topic was almost identical. I just wanted to focus on my question of belt loops and side adjusters. I don't want to wear braces but it seems that's what most were suggesting. Thought I could go belt sans vest and adjusters with vest.

chrisb0109

Reaction score
or just use side adjusters for both. Am I missing something?

stat1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chrisb0109
or just use side adjusters for both. Am I missing something?

No you are not missing anything. I think that is defintely the obviosu choice. I'm just so used to a belt. Not even so much the functionality but the look of the belt. I've tried on trousers without a belt and it looked off to me. Obviously just not used to the look.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stat1
No you are not missing anything. I think that is defintely the obviosu choice. I'm just so used to a belt. Not even so much the functionality but the look of the belt. I've tried on trousers without a belt and it looked off to me. Obviously just not used to the look.

Braces are superior to either belt or side tabs. I think you should reconsider, especially with a three-piece.

ferguscan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
Braces are superior to either belt or side tabs. I think you should reconsider, especially with a three-piece.

+1

In fact, I prefer trousers that are cut exclusively for wear with braces. Ultra-high rise, even higher on the back, with a fish mouth configuration at the back.

stat1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier

Would you get belt loops just in case?

brittain

Reaction score
so with belt loops and suspender buttons, when he wears the suspenders he will have empty belt loops. thats going to look bad, IMHO. if you have belt loops, you should wear a belt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads