• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can something be too perfect?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cuff Link
Seems to me what you are talking about is comfortable self confidence.

Cuff

Yes, exactly. I think that Marc Jacobs always looks good in texas tuxedo for this reason, and Tom Ford in his tuxedo jacket, white shirt, jeans and black shoes. This is why Brad Pitt always looks good, and Russell Crowe, even though he often looks like he got the worst of a fight. And no one looked better than Yul Brynner or Steve McQueen, back in the day. Samuel L. Jackson probably looks better on a bad day than most guys on this forum on their best day, even if he likes gold ties and three button, notched lapel tuxedos
tounge.gif

On the other hand, I think that Tom Cruise nearly always looks bad, because there seems to be a wierd desperation to be loved in his facial expressions.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Although a certain desperate neuroticism can be rather stylish as well like with Dirk Bogarde who always had a perverse compulsive aspect about him:
bogarde3.jpg
Peter Lorre also:
40wcig.jpg

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
too many people try too hard and forget that it is them that wear the clothes not the other way around!

muelleran

Reaction score
A German expression for someone dressed too perfectly and too concerned with his appearance would be "Lackaffe". Where Lack means lacquer and Affe means monkey.
laugh.gif

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by muelleran
A German expression for someone dressed too perfectly and too converned with his appearance would be "Lackaffe".

Where Lack means lacquer and Affe means monkey.
laugh.gif

I love that one. I think I have found a new weapon in my verbal arsenal
laugh.gif
How do you pronounce it?

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vain, nit-picking, ("not that there's anything wrong with it") gay. Those are some possible perceptions of the "too perfect" dresser.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads